“nice break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 2 NIGHTS GET 10% OFF
Ranked #476 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Worthing, United Kingdom
“nice break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

after reading all the negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive about our stay. but we have no complaints at all, we got a friendly greeting on arrival, the room was fine, with fresh fruit and a bottle of wine awaiting us. The breakfast was very nice. and the hotel was in the perfect position for exploring London with the tube only a 10 minute walk away. A very enjoyable midweek break.

Room Tip: look for expensive hotels offering great deals
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services and work on any flaws.

Whole team was really please to read to kind comments here on this website and everyone feel proud that they were able to meet and exceed your expectation with us.

It was our pleasure to serve you and kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Armagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on my last visit to London in June 2013 so had no qualms about returning last week for another short theatre break.
The location of the hotel is excellent if travelling from Heathrow. The Heathrow Express goes from Heathrow directly into Paddington and the hotel is a 5 - 10 minute walk. Getting into Leicester Square is quite easy - take the direct line to Piccadilly tube Station and walk - its only 2 minutes.
I was greeted at the door by the manager Gourav Gupta, a very friendly and helpful man who is very keen to ensure your stay is both pleasant and enjoyable.
My room, 107, was large with a very comfortable double bed. It overlooked the interior of the building - no view, but extremely quiet. I live in rural Northern Ireland and am a very light sleeper, but I had the best two nights sleep in a long time. I could not believe I was in busy London. There is a great shower, no bath. Free Wi-Fi, tea making facilities big TV and the comfortable bed meant that I spent a lot of time in my room.
Breakfast was superb, both hot and cold selection. There is always plenty and a great selection no matter how late you arrive down.
The staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful. The receptionist remembered me from my last visit which really impressed me and made me feel special. The waitresses in the restaurant are lovely - it was so nice to come down in the morning to a warm and genuine greeting.
I will be back in London next month and will look forward to staying here again. It is a great location and excellent value.

Room Tip: Discuss your requirements in advance with staff and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me start with thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, it was your second visit to us and you received the same attentive service.

Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and allow us to take care of you.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is situated near both Paddington and Edgeware Road Tube stations which is extremely convenient for a sight seeing trip. A couple of nice pubs are located close by and the area is well positioned for restaurants and cafes. On arrival the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was slightly on the small size but this did not cause any problems as it was extremely clean and well furnished. Shower in the bathroom powerful and toileteries were of a good standard. Free internet access in the foyer was handy for researching locations and an abundant supply of newspapers and magazines were available to peruse.
I would recommend this hotel as its location is idea, there's lots of activity in the area and the staff very helpful and professional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. You also liked friendly and professional staff and were glad that we were able to meet your expectations with us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

You know your in trouble when you ask a London taxi driver to take you from Paddington station to the hotel and he has never heard of it (5 minutes away). The hotel is in a road with a number of similar hotels all with fancy names and dubious star ratings. When we found the hotel the receptionist informed me that as I was staying for 3 nights I had been upgrade from a single to a double. I went down to my room in the basement which looked clean and tidy if a bit small, after 30 seconds I started to wonder what the humming noise was I opened the curtains to find a triple glazed window with all the hotels extractor fans just two feet away. As it would have been impossible to sleep in the room I went upstairs and asked to be down graded. In all fairness to the staff they upgraded me to a club room which was nice but very small with an even smaller shower room. The rest of my stay went smoothly and the staff were always very friendly and liked to help. Considering the price of the room at £144 a night I did not think it very good value.

Room Tip: Don't have a basement room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services.

Your feedback has been forwarded to concern team to work on flaws. I'm also sorry that you didn't like basement room - which was changed & upgraded complimentary later. Moreover, on the street where we are based, its actually a row of Victorian Style hotels one-after-one so at times it can be missed especially in the dark.

But I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay here. Kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel has very good and not so good attributes. The location is just around the corner from Paddington Station which offers great train connections to other sites. The staff were friendly and helpful and the Manager was quick to respond to our comments about an unfortunate experience with a taxi driver that was booked through their front desk. The room we were first offered upon check in was in the basement level of the building and had a very unpleasant musty odor. When we declined the room we were relocated to the second floor. This room was fine...nicely furnished and finished in a "boutique" style. Be aware that the room was very tiny.....we were unable to open the bathroom door without hitting the foot of the bed. The buffet breakfast provided was very good. All in all....a reasonable value for the price.

Room Tip: Would make sure a future reservation request excluded accepting a basement room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel and sharing your thoughts with us in regards to your recent stay. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Having said that please accept my sorry for providing basement room initially - which was moved later.

All of our rooms are delicately designed and decorated including basement rooms but I can completely understand that some people don't like basement rooms. Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and give us another chance to take care of you.

NordNorge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel is nearby Paddington station, which is practical for getting around easily. Edgware road tubestation is also nearby (opposite direction from paddington). Several places to eat in the area, villa rosa restaurant has very good italian pizza. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms beautiful and the staff very helpful! Computer to surf on in the reception area.

Room Tip: Above groundfloor and facing the back
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. You also liked the area and surroundings and glad that we were able to meet your expectations with us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Quite simply excellent value for money.
A genuine 4* hotel. Room, fixtures and fittings all qualifying.

Rooms are slightly smaller than you would get anywhere other than central London.
However... for a good size 4* hotel room in central London (an actual 4*), you can expect to pay 3-4 times as much.

Really glad I found this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!