“Nice Hotel but Hard to Find” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #557 of 1,073 hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel but Hard to Find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

You know your in trouble when you ask a London taxi driver to take you from Paddington station to the hotel and he has never heard of it (5 minutes away). The hotel is in a road with a number of similar hotels all with fancy names and dubious star ratings. When we found the hotel the receptionist informed me that as I was staying for 3 nights I had been upgrade from a single to a double. I went down to my room in the basement which looked clean and tidy if a bit small, after 30 seconds I started to wonder what the humming noise was I opened the curtains to find a triple glazed window with all the hotels extractor fans just two feet away. As it would have been impossible to sleep in the room I went upstairs and asked to be down graded. In all fairness to the staff they upgraded me to a club room which was nice but very small with an even smaller shower room. The rest of my stay went smoothly and the staff were always very friendly and liked to help. Considering the price of the room at £144 a night I did not think it very good value.

Room Tip: Don't have a basement room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services.

Your feedback has been forwarded to concern team to work on flaws. I'm also sorry that you didn't like basement room - which was changed & upgraded complimentary later. Moreover, on the street where we are based, its actually a row of Victorian Style hotels one-after-one so at times it can be missed especially in the dark.

But I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay here. Kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel has very good and not so good attributes. The location is just around the corner from Paddington Station which offers great train connections to other sites. The staff were friendly and helpful and the Manager was quick to respond to our comments about an unfortunate experience with a taxi driver that was booked through their front desk. The room we were first offered upon check in was in the basement level of the building and had a very unpleasant musty odor. When we declined the room we were relocated to the second floor. This room was fine...nicely furnished and finished in a "boutique" style. Be aware that the room was very tiny.....we were unable to open the bathroom door without hitting the foot of the bed. The buffet breakfast provided was very good. All in all....a reasonable value for the price.

Room Tip: Would make sure a future reservation request excluded accepting a basement room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel and sharing your thoughts with us in regards to your recent stay. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Having said that please accept my sorry for providing basement room initially - which was moved later.

All of our rooms are delicately designed and decorated including basement rooms but I can completely understand that some people don't like basement rooms. Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and give us another chance to take care of you.

Gurpreet Singh (gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com)
NordNorge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel is nearby Paddington station, which is practical for getting around easily. Edgware road tubestation is also nearby (opposite direction from paddington). Several places to eat in the area, villa rosa restaurant has very good italian pizza. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms beautiful and the staff very helpful! Computer to surf on in the reception area.

Room Tip: Above groundfloor and facing the back
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Let me start with thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. You also liked the area and surroundings and glad that we were able to meet your expectations with us.

Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and allow us to take care of you.

Gurpreet Singh (gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Quite simply excellent value for money.
A genuine 4* hotel. Room, fixtures and fittings all qualifying.

Rooms are slightly smaller than you would get anywhere other than central London.
However... for a good size 4* hotel room in central London (an actual 4*), you can expect to pay 3-4 times as much.

Really glad I found this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful, The breakfast was very good and buffet style made it quick and efficient.Te hotel is very conveniently located close to paddington station. On checkout time we offer to leave our bags behind so we could enjoy the rest of our day in london.We will stay here again...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to personally thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments to all staff.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed at the Shaftesbury Metropolis for 3 nights chosen for it's location near to Hyde Park as we were going to the Radio 2 Festival in a Day on the Sunday evening. Arrived Friday afternoon - received courteously and everything was in order. We had booked a Deluxe Twin and our room was on the 3rd floor, with a view overlooking Sussex Gardens. While this is a main road it is not excessively busy and so the noise wasn't intolerable. As noted by other reviewers, the rooms are not exactly oversized - getting clothes in and out of the wardrobe is a bit of an art - but then again, many hotels of this type (and not just in London) have the same issues. At least the room was clean and tidy and well appointed - ours was called a "Club Room" so it had that old world club kind of feel. We stayed B&B and while the breakfast is adequate, it's nothing to write home about. I only had the cooked breakfast on the 1st day and stuck to cereal and toast for the others. The bacon and the sausage was OK - scrambled eggs looked like they'd been there for days and there were no fried eggs at all, no kippers, porridge etc. The bread for the toast wasn't great either - very cheap mass produced rubbish with loads of preservative you could taste. As we had planned to be out and about most of each of the days, the hotel was fine for our needs so I'm happy to give it a thumbs up from us. The only service issue we had was on the 3rd day we hadn't been given any milk in our room, so we asked for some when we came back in from our evening meal. The man on reception apologised and said he'd get some sent up. Half an hour later nothing had appeared so I went back down. The same man apologised that his colleague had not done this - he went straight to the kitchen and brought me a handful of milk cartons. I was fine with this - at least he apologised and was helpful. All in all the hotel was what we needed for this particular stay and I would consider staying again if similar needs arose again and the price was right!

Room Tip: From what other travellers have said, I would ensure you request a room that has natural light/windo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By giving us your feedback especially about Breakfast & Room service Order; it gives us an opportunity to improve. I request you to give us another opening to serve you.
Please write to me with full information of your future booking so that I can necessary actions to overcome the unease you have pointed out on - dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Delightful hotel, great location, pleasant walk with easy access to Paddington Station. A great variety of restaurants to choose from. Staff was very helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back of the bldg. Very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our staff; I will forward your comments to them.
For any assistance you may required please do not hesitate to write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Kind regards
Gourav Gupta

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!