“Great stay in a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #549 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Great stay in a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and a collegue was travelling down for a meeting and we was originally booked into a partner hotel near Hearhrow airport. After discovering this was not convenient we asked reservations if we could move to a more centrally located hotel. At first I thought I was going to be charged a fortune to move but the simply just dealt with it and moved us to the metropolis near Hyde park. The hotel is situated close to paddington station making most of London very accessible. With changing hotel I was unsure whether I would get the club service I had booked in the other hotel but everything was perfect and included. The rooms were lovely and the hearty breakfast in the morning was delightful. The staff were very accommodating and friendly it felt like you'd known them more than just the short time we had. I must especially mention Monica and Ahmer who were very friendly and polite. The metropolis exceeded my expectations even looking after our bags after we had checked out and gave us somewhere to chill out and have a coffee before departing for our evening flight. I will definately be staying at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone travelling to London for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2013
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Our mission is to make your stay memorable in every way, and your comments will provide us with the information we need to maintain our high level of service.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

749 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I had a most unpleasant experience in a hotel in Bayswater on 10 July 2013 and I needed to find more suitable accommodation for our last day in London. We found Shaftesbury Metropolis on the Internet which was close by. As soon as we entered the Hotel in the morning and spoke to Monica on 11 July 2013 we felt at home and that our needs would be met, and she could not have been more helpful, and we immediately changed hotels. We were able to leave our suitcases for safekeeping until our room was available, and the room was well appointed and very comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was excellent and we were able to check out at 1pm the next day, and transport to Heathrow was arranged by Monica, and cases were stored again and delivered to the taxi at 5pm the next day. As a traveller one wants to spend time enjoying a place like London, and that means you need a hotel that looks after you, so that you can focus on that enjoyment, and I cannot recommend Shaftesbury Metropolis highly enough.
Chris Lenz, Brisbane Australia

Room Tip: Check that the hotel has a lift and that it is not on a busy road, and if it is, that the room is ai...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent feedback in regards to your recent visit at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel.

We all were delighted to know that we were able to meet & exceed your expectations with us. It was our pleasure to serve you.

Kindly contact me for all your future visits to us and I'll make sure you are sound & comfortable.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Shaftesbury is a group of hotels; they have another in Notting Hill and one in Westbourne Terrace. When you book them, they take your money and then decide where they have rooms. If you have booked in one location that is full, they tell you some nonsense about a hot water problem and send you to another in a cab that does this all the time. If you don't care about location, it's okay but if you do, it's a problem. I cannot help but think this hotel group is a front for something else. I was sent to THREE hotels in two taxis and ended up somewhere I did not want to be. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I arrived into London in the afternoon as I was attending an event that evening. The hotel is located 5 mins walk from paddington station and was easy to find. The finish and furnishings of the hotel are modern and inviting and the staff are welcoming, polite and attentive.

The room was comfortable and well finished with good shower room fittings and fixtures. I enjoyed a very comfortable nights sleep and would stay again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

I am glad you had pleasant stay with us.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Friends had booked this hotel as near Hyde Park. Check in was quick but I had difficulty in understanding reception staff as had overseas accent.
Double room small and on the dark side, but as only me did not matter. Had everthing coffee/tea, hairdryer, TV. Bathroom again small but very clean.
My friend who was in the room opposite and is 6' 1 in height had a wet room bathroom but the shower was designed for someone who is 4ft tall and he struggled to use it.
Breakfast in small dining room but excellent everything to suit all tastes, service good.

Room Tip: if tall don't book the room with a wetroom bathroom
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us.
Our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities. However, please do let us know about your future stay & we will try to upgrade your room to higher category, which are much bigger in size.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Regards
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were a bit wary of staying here given the negative comments on some posts on TA. I did contact the hotel prior to our stay and request a room on the higher floors to avoid the basement rooms. This was not a problem for them and we had a large twin bed room on the 3rd floor that was comfortable and very quiet.

The staff were courteous and friendly and the buffet breakfast were excellent.

This hotel is located close to hyde park and a tube station is only a short walk away.

All in all a cracking hotel, well worth the price and we will consider staying there when next in London.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the higher floors and they will do their best to accommodate you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our breakfast.
Please do let us know about your future stay & we will try to upgrade your room.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Regards
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Over all it was very pleasant and quiet and the most important sincerely the employees has a high customer service approach clarity and transparency very supportive and helpful. They really made me feel like I am at home I observed the attention and consideration from top employee to a normal clerk, the only thing that I did not expect is the size of the room which also did not bother me as an official visit the size was fine. The level of understanding for each and every national and considering customs, traditions and relegation of each client was fabulous.
Location of the hotel if you’re looking for calm and away from crowds is the best with a marvelous view, the bus station is very close to the hotel seven minutes to paddington station & underground. Close to Edgware Road Oxford Road and Marble Arch. In which you will find very good restaurants manly Arabic Indian and Iranian cousin.
Justifying my staying at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, as very pleasant the most important thing which you’re looking for when you’re not at home and traveling to a country for your first time is a family which will make you feel safe and happy which for sure they are.

Room Tip: The room was pleasant and quiet
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to personally thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass you comments to concern staff.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Gourav Gupta

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!