“Great location - excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #550 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Armagh
“Great location - excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed, for the second time, 18th - 21st June 2013, at this hotel due to the friendliness and warm welcome from the manager Gourav Gupta. I had certain requirements that he more than met and had communicated with me, personally, via email before my arrival to ensure my needs were personally met - and I thank him.
I traveled into London from Heathrow - the Heathrow Express takes 15 minutes into Paddington and this Hotel is within reasonable walking distance. There is a bus stop outside the hotel which takes you into the Oxford Street junction with Picadilly and Soho and the Paddington tube leads directly to Piccadilly which is only a few minutes walk to Leicester Sqare. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens are nearby and, as the weather was wonderful, it was a pleasant walk into Piccadilly through Hyde Park - which is an amazing oasis in London - and Green Park. You can escape the hustle and bustle with Kensington Gardens nearby and Kensington Palace is a must see!
My room was spacious and clean with a lovely walk in shower. Due to the exceptionally warm weather I left my windows open - there is aircon too - and even though I am a light sleeper, there was little noise at the back of the hotel.
The breakfasts were wonderful, I had the continental and my partner the full English, which looked wonderful. Even at 10 am, when breakfasts finished, there was ample food and it all looked fresh and appetizing.
The staff were warm and friendly and we were always greeted with a smile. We were approached every time we met the manager who asked if we had slept OK and if the breakfast was OK and if we needed anything. Reception staff were equally friendly. When I asked for directions into town via Hyde Park she even gave me the hotel business card and told me to ring her if I got lost.
Due to the location of this hotel with the nearby parks and easy access to the West End I would definitely stay in Paddington. Due to the friendliness and warm welcome I received I would definitely stay at this hotel. I have read previous negative comments. All I would say is that you should address any requirements you may have with staff prior to arrival as my experience was positive in that both the current, and previous manager were prepared to personally go the extra mile to ensure I had a wonderful stay. I look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor at the back of the hotel which was nice and quiet. Ask before you go if yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and for your honest review which is very much appreciated.

We are indeed pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory in every aspect and was comfortable too.

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and full buffet breakfast. We pride ourselves of maintaining high standards within our product and all the departments and the comments like this will help us to maintain our high level of service.

We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Gourav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The staff really made this place great. It was clean, convenient, hospitable, great breakfast. One of the receptionists told us to call them if we got lost in the city (we didn't) but it was nice to know they would take care of us. Every time we walked through the lobby we were greeted warmly. They were very helpful with directions and suggestions. I would recommend this place to anybody!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Received a call on the morning of our arrival date that a boiler problem meant that the 4 twin rooms we booked were unavailable and that we would have to have double rooms. I voiced my concerns as two of the rooms were for people with health issues and suggested that a large discount would be expected on arrival. On our arrival a very apologetic manager was waiting for us and we were given an upgrade to Club Class rooms with complementary wine, although still double rooms we were happy to accept this. The reception staff were very helpful and hailed cabs for us when taxis were not available to book due to the queens birthday celebrations.

However I would say that having read the number of reviews that have had booking issues due to "water leaks or boiler problems" I am not sure that I believe the reason given why our twin rooms were not available and it would appear that there are inherent problems with the booking process. Our rooms were booked in April so it was not a last minute booking and after receiving the phone call I went onto the website and dummy booked 4 twin rooms that showed as available for that day!

Whilst I was impressed with the way that the staff handled the issue I do think that the company should improve the booking process so that this does not happen to such a high proportion of guests. This is a large chain which offers very reasonable rooms, probably because the square footage of the rooms is smaller than most other rooms I have stayed in and therefore they can offer a better price. Staff could not be faulted on their customer service but it is not fair to them if the company is at fault.

The rooms are very small although this was not a problem for a one night stay a longer stay would be uncomfortable in such a small space.

Room Tip: Ask what the square footage of the rooms is before booking. Check that the rooms are available and d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed there during a conference. Location was great, Paddington, Hydepark and my conference venue (Hilton Metropolitan) all within a couple of minutes walking distance. Prices are decent considering it|s London we|re talking about. The rooms in the basement are a bit dark but since I was staying for several nights they were happy to arrange a room change for me the next day. |All of the staff were were very supportive and polite. Especially reception clerk Daria went out of her way to help me with all sort of things.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Shaftesbury Hotel London Hyde Park.

Our mission is to make your stay memorable in every way, and your comments will provide us with the information we need to maintain our high level of service.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A lovely hotel in a great location! A 5 minute walk to Paddington station, 10 minute walk to Hyde park, and 20 minute walk to Oxford Street! The rooms are a good size, with very comfortable beds and everything you might need during your stay. The staff were extremely polite and helpful, regularly checking that we were happy with everything during our stay. The breakfast buffet was brilliant, and it kept us going until the evening (just what you need when walking around London!). Would highly recommend it, and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may be a little noisy at night - but only a problem if you're a very...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My mother and I booked a couple of nights stay at the hotel and we were both pleasantly surprised at the room we were given (Club room, upstairs at the back of the hotel) clean, comfortable and with all the facilities needed. I certainly did not expect to wake up to the sound of birdsong!
Close to Paddington, a stroll to Oxford Street and Hyde Park, a lovely walk through the park to Kensington, the museums etc. overall an excellent place to stay and very reasonably priced.
I found the staff pleasant and helpful during my stay and equally helpful when I discovered that I had left my reading glasses behind. They were found and posted back to me very promptly.
All in all a lovely couple of days away, great location, helpful staff and I shall most definitely book the Shaftesbury again for my next London stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

Kind Regards
Buckley, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I, like, many others have been scammed by this hotel, I was called on the day of my check-in to be told that a 'boiler problem' meant I had to be moved to another hotel. I write this review from that very hotel, I have been given a tiny room with a tiny window, the window is mostly useless since outside the window are two huge air conditioning pipes making an horrendous racket, between the two pipes the view is of another guest's window 4 feet away. When I checked in there was a gentleman in reception already complaining about his room and trying to be moved.

Don't stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, it prossibly doesn't even exit!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Gourav Gupta

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!