“Great room & Great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #530 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great room & Great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A lovely hotel in a great location! A 5 minute walk to Paddington station, 10 minute walk to Hyde park, and 20 minute walk to Oxford Street! The rooms are a good size, with very comfortable beds and everything you might need during your stay. The staff were extremely polite and helpful, regularly checking that we were happy with everything during our stay. The breakfast buffet was brilliant, and it kept us going until the evening (just what you need when walking around London!). Would highly recommend it, and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may be a little noisy at night - but only a problem if you're a very...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My mother and I booked a couple of nights stay at the hotel and we were both pleasantly surprised at the room we were given (Club room, upstairs at the back of the hotel) clean, comfortable and with all the facilities needed. I certainly did not expect to wake up to the sound of birdsong!
Close to Paddington, a stroll to Oxford Street and Hyde Park, a lovely walk through the park to Kensington, the museums etc. overall an excellent place to stay and very reasonably priced.
I found the staff pleasant and helpful during my stay and equally helpful when I discovered that I had left my reading glasses behind. They were found and posted back to me very promptly.
All in all a lovely couple of days away, great location, helpful staff and I shall most definitely book the Shaftesbury again for my next London stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & our fabulous staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance in booking your future stay please write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Kind Regards
Buckley, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I, like, many others have been scammed by this hotel, I was called on the day of my check-in to be told that a 'boiler problem' meant I had to be moved to another hotel. I write this review from that very hotel, I have been given a tiny room with a tiny window, the window is mostly useless since outside the window are two huge air conditioning pipes making an horrendous racket, between the two pipes the view is of another guest's window 4 feet away. When I checked in there was a gentleman in reception already complaining about his room and trying to be moved.

Don't stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, it prossibly doesn't even exit!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. This hotel is in a good location very close to Paddington station and very safe. The room we stayed in was in the basement. It was extremely small. The bed was comfortable and got good nights sleep both nights. Unfortunately the sheet on the bed was a little dirty but other than that the room was very clean. The room also didn't have a hairdryer but when requested got one straight away. We did not eat in hotel. The staff were very helpful with any questions about directions etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate for choosing to stay with us recently and also for your feedback on this website. Guest comments are really important to us as it helps us monitor where we stand as compare to our competitors.

I'm glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us; however sorry for any inconvenience caused in regards to the compact room in basement floor. May I request you to kindly contact me directly for all your future bookings with us and I'll make sure you are allocated one of nice & comfortable higher floor room.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Ledbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were a bit worried about some of the comments on Tripadvisor regarding this hotel, particularly about small dark rooms and rude staff.

I have to say though that we found it to be an excellent base for a short London trip. The location is really about as handy as it gets with Paddington literally around the corner and almost everything else you want within a comfortable stroll. This includes full retail torture in the form of Regent St/Oxford St or casual exercise in Hyde Park.

Staff were very polite and very keen to be helpful, indeed in the course of our stay we must have been asked if everything was OK an average of 3 times a day! We had a club room which had 3 beds, 2 windows, microwave, fridge, air con, large TV (though not a good picture), great shower and very clean bathroom generally. The public areas are particularly nicely finished and are relaxing places to sit and recover from a hectic day in town.

By booking directly with the hotel you get free breakfast which was as good as any I've had in a UK hotel, at any price.

In summary then this was a well priced, well located and very nice hotel and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in both recommending it to others and of visiting again next time we're in London.

Room Tip: Lower rooms at the front get noisy at about 5 a.m. with the road being quite busy (well it is centra...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Wow what a excellent feedback and many thanks for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Your feedback is precious to us as it helps and motivate us more to reach best possible customer care.

Your kind words has been shared within whole team and we all feel proud that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations with us. We get rewarded ourselves when we hear such compliments from our guests after their stay.

I'm sure our hotel is like your second home in London to stay again and again for all future visits. Kindly write to me prior to your next visit to us and allow me to look after you again.

Best Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel was brilliant value for money. Perfect for a couple away on a break, however some of the reception staff were quite rude and uninviting. We did not use the gym facilities, however the rooms were excellent as they had a fridge and a microwave which is brilliant for a london hotel if you are trying to save a few quid! I would definately return to this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor at the back which was perfect! There was no disruption from traffic
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 5, 2013

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.
Houston, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had requested a 4 Star Hotel in the West end of London via Priceline and the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde accepted the bid. I used to live in London and also made a lot of business trips to London over the years so I have a significant insight into the various hotels in and around London. So here is my perspective regarding this hotel:

The pictures give it more credit than it deserves. However, let's go from high to low as to what I thought about this hotel:

* LOCATION: (Rating: Very Good): Depending on where you want to be London, the West end has a lot of value in staying in this area.
** Transportation (Rating: Very Good): If you come in from Heathrow you can take the Express to Paddington Station and it is at most a 5 - 10 walk to the hotel. It is a bit pricey but it is very quick ....15 to 20 minutes at most. Another option is to take the Underground Tube (subway) from Heathrow and transfer to another line to get you to Paddington Station or another transfer with stops at Lancaster Gate or Marble Arch. Lancaster is closer to the hotel than Marble Arch. Personally I would try to go to Paddington Station since it is not as far to the hotel. Bottom line: the tube is the cheapest, train next and cabs really expensive.

* STAFF: (Rating: Very Good): The staff at the hotel were excellent and always willing to help (which we needed).

* HANDLING ISSUES: (Rating: OK): There are two parts to this area. First.....We booked the hotel 2 1/2 months in advance via Priceline and they charged us at the time that our bid was accepted by the hotel chain. Second.....Initially, at check-in the desk clerk wanted a credit card to charge the hotel on the credit card. We had a lengthy conversation to no avail about the fact that I had already paid for the hotel once. I asked to talk to the manager about this and was told he was not in. I had to contact Priceline via email and asked for a contact in London to resolve my issue. In the end, I was given a refund on what the hotel had charged me after Priceline spent a lot of time explaining to the corporation how the PrinceLine process worked. Somewhat ironic that the hotel chain accepted the Priceline bid but didn't know how to process it. Go Figure!!

* ROOM: (Rating: Poor):
** The room was exceptionally small as was the bathroom.
** The air conditioner did not keep the room cool. After it ran for a couple of hours it would give up the ghost.
** The bed was extremely poor. You could actually feel the springs when you were laying on the bed.
** Another issue: This hotel was not created as a hotel but more like a series of apartment buildings that were joined together which caused one to have to up and down stairs to get to your room. Quite a hassle to get to/from your room.

Bottom line: I would not stay here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read about your stay at the hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.
Thank you for your remarks and I will certainly converse you message to the staff and we will put new procedure in place to assist our future guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and Please contact me directly for any further reservations and I shall make sure we restore your faith back in us.

Best regards
Gourav Gupta

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!