“Don't believe everything you read - not even on this website!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #547 of 1,073 hotels in London
Ledbury, United Kingdom
“Don't believe everything you read - not even on this website!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were a bit worried about some of the comments on Tripadvisor regarding this hotel, particularly about small dark rooms and rude staff.

I have to say though that we found it to be an excellent base for a short London trip. The location is really about as handy as it gets with Paddington literally around the corner and almost everything else you want within a comfortable stroll. This includes full retail torture in the form of Regent St/Oxford St or casual exercise in Hyde Park.

Staff were very polite and very keen to be helpful, indeed in the course of our stay we must have been asked if everything was OK an average of 3 times a day! We had a club room which had 3 beds, 2 windows, microwave, fridge, air con, large TV (though not a good picture), great shower and very clean bathroom generally. The public areas are particularly nicely finished and are relaxing places to sit and recover from a hectic day in town.

By booking directly with the hotel you get free breakfast which was as good as any I've had in a UK hotel, at any price.

In summary then this was a well priced, well located and very nice hotel and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in both recommending it to others and of visiting again next time we're in London.

Room Tip: Lower rooms at the front get noisy at about 5 a.m. with the road being quite busy (well it is centra...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Wow what a excellent feedback and many thanks for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Your feedback is precious to us as it helps and motivate us more to reach best possible customer care.

Your kind words has been shared within whole team and we all feel proud that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations with us. We get rewarded ourselves when we hear such compliments from our guests after their stay.

I'm sure our hotel is like your second home in London to stay again and again for all future visits. Kindly write to me prior to your next visit to us and allow me to look after you again.

Best Regards,

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel was brilliant value for money. Perfect for a couple away on a break, however some of the reception staff were quite rude and uninviting. We did not use the gym facilities, however the rooms were excellent as they had a fridge and a microwave which is brilliant for a london hotel if you are trying to save a few quid! I would definately return to this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor at the back which was perfect! There was no disruption from traffic
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.
Houston, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had requested a 4 Star Hotel in the West end of London via Priceline and the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde accepted the bid. I used to live in London and also made a lot of business trips to London over the years so I have a significant insight into the various hotels in and around London. So here is my perspective regarding this hotel:

The pictures give it more credit than it deserves. However, let's go from high to low as to what I thought about this hotel:

* LOCATION: (Rating: Very Good): Depending on where you want to be London, the West end has a lot of value in staying in this area.
** Transportation (Rating: Very Good): If you come in from Heathrow you can take the Express to Paddington Station and it is at most a 5 - 10 walk to the hotel. It is a bit pricey but it is very quick ....15 to 20 minutes at most. Another option is to take the Underground Tube (subway) from Heathrow and transfer to another line to get you to Paddington Station or another transfer with stops at Lancaster Gate or Marble Arch. Lancaster is closer to the hotel than Marble Arch. Personally I would try to go to Paddington Station since it is not as far to the hotel. Bottom line: the tube is the cheapest, train next and cabs really expensive.

* STAFF: (Rating: Very Good): The staff at the hotel were excellent and always willing to help (which we needed).

* HANDLING ISSUES: (Rating: OK): There are two parts to this area. First.....We booked the hotel 2 1/2 months in advance via Priceline and they charged us at the time that our bid was accepted by the hotel chain. Second.....Initially, at check-in the desk clerk wanted a credit card to charge the hotel on the credit card. We had a lengthy conversation to no avail about the fact that I had already paid for the hotel once. I asked to talk to the manager about this and was told he was not in. I had to contact Priceline via email and asked for a contact in London to resolve my issue. In the end, I was given a refund on what the hotel had charged me after Priceline spent a lot of time explaining to the corporation how the PrinceLine process worked. Somewhat ironic that the hotel chain accepted the Priceline bid but didn't know how to process it. Go Figure!!

* ROOM: (Rating: Poor):
** The room was exceptionally small as was the bathroom.
** The air conditioner did not keep the room cool. After it ran for a couple of hours it would give up the ghost.
** The bed was extremely poor. You could actually feel the springs when you were laying on the bed.
** Another issue: This hotel was not created as a hotel but more like a series of apartment buildings that were joined together which caused one to have to up and down stairs to get to your room. Quite a hassle to get to/from your room.

Bottom line: I would not stay here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read about your stay at the hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.
Thank you for your remarks and I will certainly converse you message to the staff and we will put new procedure in place to assist our future guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and Please contact me directly for any further reservations and I shall make sure we restore your faith back in us.

Best regards
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After spending a few months looking for London accomodation I stumbled on what I thought was a gem, but turned out horribly.

First I was given a tiny pokey room in the basement area, the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The mattress springs seemed to be broken. The pillow was like a rock, when I asked for another pillow, I got one that was much the same.

The room was quite depressing and I did not look faward to any rest after a hard day exploring.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us you feed back , it gives us an opportunity to improve. I request you to give us another opening to serve and change your opinion about us.
Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be happy to assist you. You can write to me on - dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Maracay, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Excellent Hotel;
1) Very helpful and kind pesonnel
2) Excellent rooms: clean, comfortable and nicely and lovely decorated
3) Excellent bathroom: extremely clean, fully equipped and nicely decorated
4) High Relation Price/Quality: lLow cost (US/181.97) )for a 4 star hotel
5) Excellent location: at a walking distance (5 min walk) to the main London transportation media (London Tube).
One the best hotel I ever been in Europa

Room Tip: Any room will be an excellent choice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear G Comach,

Once again many thanks for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. Guest feedback is of paramount importance to us to see where we stand in the market and to strive for improvements.

We all really glad to read your excellent feedback and feel proud that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations with us especially about staff's friendliness and our location.

I'm sure you will choose us again and again for your future visits to London. Kindly contact me prior to your future booking with us and allow me to look after rest for another memorable stay.

Thanks & Regards,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is situated in a lovely part of London where it is very quiet and still close to "the action". Edgeware Rd Tube station is just a brisk 7 minutes walk from the hotel, with direct access to central London. The staff was amicable and will try to assist in any way possible with your requests. The rooms were slightly small, but still nicely appointed. I loved the heated floors in the bathroom (major plus). Their internet access was average.
One thing though is that my room was near to the elevator and that was one noisy elevator... not the people... but the equipment. you heard it on it;s way up and down.
Overall, I will stay here again on my next trip to London.

Room Tip: I actually booked this hotel through Bookings.com and the upgrades to deluxe or superior (king size...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your precious time to write your thoughts on this website as well as thank you for choosing to stay with us. Guests feedback is valuable to us and always help us to improve better and better on our services.

Whole team at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel were really please to read your kind comments below. It was our pleasure to be of your host in London and would love to have you again & again.

Apologies, on room size as some rooms are compact than others although od same type; however please let me know prior to your future arrival so that I'll make sure you are in one od nicest & spacious room.

Kind Regards,
Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at finding a reasonably priced hotel in London. When we entered our room, we commented on how small this supposedly double room was (only enough room for the bed and nothing else). I did not mind this as the priority was that it was clean and tidy. Little did I know that this was the least of my problems...

When we arrived back from our trip out, we opened the door to be confronted with a half naked stranger lying on our bed and a confused lady burst out of the bathroom. My first concern was that previously I had put my bag in the wardrobe with my iPad in. Luckily, the surprised man told me he had handed my bag in and no belongings were missing. The lady at the reception looked slightly embarrassed but not very apologetic.

The next morning in the breakfast room, after filling my plate with food I was accused of not being entitled to breakfast with my deal when I knew I was. The two ladies were very rude with a loose grasp of English and made me feel like a criminal. Consequently, I had to go all the way back to my room for my receipt to prove it. Eventually, the man at reception sorted it out but by then my husband and I were not in the mood to eat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings of the day and once again thank you for your feedback.

Please be informed that guest feedback is taken very seriously here and we always work on mentioned flaws for improvements. I'm sincerely sorry for all the inconvenience caused between your stay.

May I please kindly request you to contact me directly on email below to personally discuss this matter.

Yours Sincerely,
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!