“Disappointed, over priced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #552 of 1,073 hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointed, over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After spending a few months looking for London accomodation I stumbled on what I thought was a gem, but turned out horribly.

First I was given a tiny pokey room in the basement area, the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The mattress springs seemed to be broken. The pillow was like a rock, when I asked for another pillow, I got one that was much the same.

The room was quite depressing and I did not look faward to any rest after a hard day exploring.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us you feed back , it gives us an opportunity to improve. I request you to give us another opening to serve and change your opinion about us.
Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be happy to assist you. You can write to me on - dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta

754 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first

1) Very helpful and kind pesonnel
2) Excellent rooms: clean, comfortable and nicely and lovely decorated
3) Excellent bathroom: extremely clean, fully equipped and nicely decorated
4) High Relation Price/Quality: lLow cost (US/181.97) )for a 4 star hotel
5) Excellent location: at a walking distance (5 min walk) to the main London transportation media (London Tube).
One the best hotel I ever been in Europa

Room Tip: Any room will be an excellent choice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear G Comach,

Once again many thanks for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. Guest feedback is of paramount importance to us to see where we stand in the market and to strive for improvements.

We all really glad to read your excellent feedback and feel proud that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations with us especially about staff's friendliness and our location.

I'm sure you will choose us again and again for your future visits to London. Kindly contact me prior to your future booking with us and allow me to look after rest for another memorable stay.

Thanks & Regards,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is situated in a lovely part of London where it is very quiet and still close to "the action". Edgeware Rd Tube station is just a brisk 7 minutes walk from the hotel, with direct access to central London. The staff was amicable and will try to assist in any way possible with your requests. The rooms were slightly small, but still nicely appointed. I loved the heated floors in the bathroom (major plus). Their internet access was average.
One thing though is that my room was near to the elevator and that was one noisy elevator... not the people... but the equipment. you heard it on it;s way up and down.
Overall, I will stay here again on my next trip to London.

Room Tip: I actually booked this hotel through Bookings.com and the upgrades to deluxe or superior (king size...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your precious time to write your thoughts on this website as well as thank you for choosing to stay with us. Guests feedback is valuable to us and always help us to improve better and better on our services.

Whole team at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel were really please to read your kind comments below. It was our pleasure to be of your host in London and would love to have you again & again.

Apologies, on room size as some rooms are compact than others although od same type; however please let me know prior to your future arrival so that I'll make sure you are in one od nicest & spacious room.

Kind Regards,
Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at finding a reasonably priced hotel in London. When we entered our room, we commented on how small this supposedly double room was (only enough room for the bed and nothing else). I did not mind this as the priority was that it was clean and tidy. Little did I know that this was the least of my problems...

When we arrived back from our trip out, we opened the door to be confronted with a half naked stranger lying on our bed and a confused lady burst out of the bathroom. My first concern was that previously I had put my bag in the wardrobe with my iPad in. Luckily, the surprised man told me he had handed my bag in and no belongings were missing. The lady at the reception looked slightly embarrassed but not very apologetic.

The next morning in the breakfast room, after filling my plate with food I was accused of not being entitled to breakfast with my deal when I knew I was. The two ladies were very rude with a loose grasp of English and made me feel like a criminal. Consequently, I had to go all the way back to my room for my receipt to prove it. Eventually, the man at reception sorted it out but by then my husband and I were not in the mood to eat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings of the day and once again thank you for your feedback.

Please be informed that guest feedback is taken very seriously here and we always work on mentioned flaws for improvements. I'm sincerely sorry for all the inconvenience caused between your stay.

May I please kindly request you to contact me directly on email below to personally discuss this matter.

Yours Sincerely,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a phonecall on the morning of our arrival at the hotel claiming that there was a problem with the boiler. I was offered a hotel in hounslow and free breakfast. Obviously this wasn't what my wife and I wanted having booked a zone 1 hotel.
I spoke to 2 members of the hotel staff, neither of whom seemed to have a firm grasp of English and I was told to just turn up at the hotel. So we turned up that evening not knowing whether we had a hotel room for the night, when we got to the desk there was no mention of a faulty boiler and we were given a key to our room.
The room was small and basic but exactly what we expected, which was fine. The hotel is in a great location which is exactly why we chose it in the first place. The front of house staff are curt and rather unfriendly, when we asked for a taxi they were not exactly forthcoming and we overheard them saying they were fully booked that night, probably the reason for the phonecall earlier.
To sum up, great location, average rooms but don't expect much from the staff

• Stayed May 2013
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on your arrival at our property. We are all the more sorry to know that you found the staff unfriendly in their approach.

On the basis of your feedback we will take necessary steps to improve our customer care skills and once again very sorry for the unpleasant experience you had due to the transfer situation. I request you to kindly let me know the room number you stayed in and the day you checked in as I would like to speak to the staff who served you.

Kindly write to me in advance about your future visit as i will ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in.We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I chose this hotel based on location and availability and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very helpful and professional and took care of all needs very quickly. The room I had (#119) was very small; I would suggest asking for a larger room.

Breakfast was excellent, served in a downstairs cafeteria-type room.

Biggest surprise was free broadband as opposed to wireless: This is a big plus in my book.

I will certainly return, but will make sure I get a room that I can turn around in.

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms if possible: Size varies (and matters).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

We are pleased to know that the stafff was helpful and you found the facilities , plus the location appropriate. Very sorry to hear that due to the small size of the room you were uncomfortable.

Please do write to me prior to your future visit as I will ensure we allocate a spacious room for your comfort.

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I chose this hotel primarily for a few attributes. Location. Room description. Free breakfast.

First, on location. I seriously could not have chosen a better location than the Paddington area. Absolutely the easiest part of town to get around in...and extremely close to everything. I did walk a lot, but found that I could orient myself very easily. Always found my way back to this area. Marble Arch was right nearby and that would also be a great orientation point for anyone traveling in London.

Room description. I had booked a single, but they did upgrade me to a double when I arrived at no additional cost. I didn't ask for it. And I sincerely appreciated it. I'm positive that the single would have been just WAY too small. Especially in the bed. Everything was extremely clean. The provided safe was great. I did manage, however, to lose a few of my possessions there (I think) as I may have inadvertently left them or they fell out, but on the dark carpet, I couldn't find them.

However, the room was billed as having a microwave and small fridge. And neither were 'there'. I also did not see where they even had 'been'. I did ask at the desk and was told that they'd 'had some troubles' with them, so if you are booking this hotel thinking you have them...well probably not.

The free breakfast was also a major reason for initially choosing this hotel. And you do not get this. They said if you book with them and not through a site like Hotels.com, you would...but not if you do book through a third party. I had breakfast the first morning and was billed nearly 12 pounds for it. This was a good breakfast but definitely NOT $18 USD.

My view was through a mass of scaffolding which wasn't nice. But the internet worked wonderfully (even though I was warned in checking in that it was spotty in the building) and the TV was a large new flat screen with great reception.

Hotel staff was very helpful, but did not seem overly friendly. When I'd ask for a restaurant recommendation I got vague 'oh there are lots near Paddington Station' which I already knew.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are grateful to you for taking time to write and forward your valuable comments.

We are pleased to know that the location of this property was well suited to your needs, plus you enjoyed staying in the upgraded room. We appreciate your valuable feedback as this will certainly assist us to meet & exceed our guest's expectation.

Your comments have been shared among our team and the staff here has been briefed to be extra careful while dealing with our guest's. Their approach should be friendly and they should be able to assist the guest's with their queries.

It will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back. Please do write to me prior to visiting us again as I will ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!