“Forget the Shaftesbury chain!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #547 of 1,073 hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Forget the Shaftesbury chain!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked this hotel because of its location. On arrival I was one of many in a queue waiting to be transported to a 'sister' hotel on the other side of London.

Looking at these reviews and those on other websites this has been going on for months. There are some good reviews but those appear to be from the lucky few who appear to have been allowed to stay.

This chain of hotels appears to continually disregard the inconvenience they are causing to 'guests' having to move hotels and although the duty manager appears apologetic it is my view that the whole booking system is a sham.

The 'sister' hotel I was sent to was not 4 star nor would it be in any European country, If my experience had been a one-off, or if there really was a maintenance issue with some of the rooms I would be understanding and have some sympathy, however, when one looks at how long the Shaftesbury chain have been using this excuse I find it hard to believe.

I care not how the duty manager responds to this review although I expect a bit of 'copying and pasting' from previous apologies. Can I suggest instead that efforts are made to the make the booking system work efficiently and effectively to reduce the risk of the Shaftesbury finding itself at the centre of some negative media coverage and/or legal action.

Like most people I do not wish to (nor do I have the time to) engage in any further communication with the Duty Manager about this. The purpose of this review is to relay my experience which is very similar to those of others and hope people take note to avoid this happening to them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel chain,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies as were were unable to accomodate you at our property.Due to some unavoidable circumstances we were not able to honor your booking. Your feedback has been taken into consideration and we will try our best that our guests do not have to go through such an inconvenience.

Your comments will be shared among the concerned departments so we all work towards improving the booking system . We thank you for sharing your experience as this will certainly assist us to meet & exceed our guests expectation.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance . We would like to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Kiind Regards

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the hotel and found the room, whilst not vast was modern, comfortable, clean and warm with the usual tea, coffee, Tv etc all to a high standard.

Located in the basement our room was quiet.

Staff very helpful and polite.

nicely located for the train, bus etc.

had a lovely stay... cannot comment on the restaurant as we ate out, convenient location for cafes etc.
We did not use the Gym!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Wow, what a excellent feedback.

Thank you for choosing to book your recent stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel and also for your precious time to share your feedback with whole world.

Your feedback also been shared with whole team at the hotel and all are really please to know that you liked everything in your stay especially staff's friendliness and politeness. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest here and we all will look forward to see you back at the hotel.

Please contact me in advance of your next visit to us so that I"ll make sure that you are again looked after with best of service.

Thanks & Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Very well located close to Paddington station and a good range of restaurants. Free wifi in the rooms. Friendly staff. Warm room decoration. The rate was also very reasonable. There are so many hotels in London and the quality varies greatly so I am glad to find this hotel that from now on will be my hotel of choice whenever in London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

We are pleased to know that we were able to meet up to your expectation in regards to the service you received. It was a great pleasure for us to assist you.

It is really nice to hear that you will be staying with us in future. We look forward to welcoming you.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance.

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel myself and my partner were informed that due to maintenance issues there was no room for us at the hotel and that we were being transferred to another one of their hotels. The hotel had plenty of time to inform us of this prior to our arrival but didn't which was annoying.

We were transferred to The Park Grand London Hyde Park where we were initially place in a tiny room where the bed was the same length as the room so one of us would have to climb over the other in order to get out of the bed. The room also smelt like food and sewerage. We returned to the reception and asked to be transferred room which they accomodated and we were placed in a slightly nicer looking room which didn't smell. However in this room the window didn't open and so we had to use the air conditioning unit, which was noisy at night and smelt stale. The bed was lumpy and not the most comfortable of things to sleep on for 2 nights.

Overall the changing of hotels and the issues with the rooms put a downer on our weekend break. The only positive point was the complimentary breakfast given to us for the hotel change. And the power shower.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park .

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the transfer situation. We are sorry to know that you were not informed of this unfortunate situation prior to your arrival.

We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you as you had to endure an uncomfortable night at our sister property. Our intentions were not to disturb your plans and we were very much waiting to have you as a guest at our property, however due to some unavoidable circumstances we had no other option than to arrange an alternate accomodation nearby.

We certainly wish to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group & hope that your future stay with us will be satifactory. I will be more than happy to assist you with your future booking , so please feel free to write to me . I will ensure you stay with us at our property.

Looking forward to welcome you back .

Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

On the 6th of February i had the opportunity to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis Hyde Park Hotel, that is a hotel situated in Sussex Gardens, a 5-10 minutes walk from Oxford street. We had booked 3 double deluxe rooms which i would of course highly recommend to anyone who is planning to visit London (without breakfast included in).we stayed there for 4 nights and i have to admit that our stay was more than satisfying. i could never imagine that hotels in central London would be so clean (i'm one of those who is addicted to clean places) and hospitable. our rooms had everyday clean tea sets, including nescafe and tea, a fridge and a microwave which gives you the opportunity to prepare your breakfast in your room, whenever you want. Congrats to you for all of the best services you offer to your customers!!i look forward booking again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are pleased to know , you enjoyed your stay with us and were impressed by the cleanliness & facilities we provide. It was our pleasure to be your host as we strongly believe in hospitality.

Thank you for your compliments . We all look forward to welcoming you again.

Please do write to me prior to your future stay as I will ensure you are looked after and experience a satisfactory service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

To whom it may concern.

I should say that Shaftesbury Metropolitan hotel is located in a marvelous place and it was very easy for me to locate it after my arrival to Paddington. Moreover it is closely located to the city centre and it was simple to reach the venues of my business meetings. The rooms are clean and warm and indeed, here it is possible to feel how warm-hearted London is. I had a pleasant stay and enjoyed every second of being here.
The personnel is kind and diligent, and very patient, mindful and friendly, especially Aparna, Monica and Bil. No doubt their work made a profound impact on my desire to choose this hotel for the next time.

Withe kind regards,
Michael

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Thanks indeed for your lovely comments regarding the service you received while your stay with us. It was a great pleasure for us to serve you.

We have shared your excellent comments among our team & they all thank you for your compliments.

Please do write to me prior to your future visit as I will ensure you are looked after & have a pleasant stay with us.

British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is located 78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2, two blocks off Edgeware Road. The location is wonderful as it is only a few minutes from both buses and Paddington Station. A taxi ride to or from Theatres in the West end is 10-15 pounds.
The rooms are big and are kept immaculate at all times. All of our room requirements have been met quickly and efficiently.
The staff is excellent. We are greeted each day at breakfast by the kitchen staff who are always pleasant and eager to accommodate. The room attendants do a terrific job cleaning each day.Our maintenance man is on top of anything that needs to be adjusted. The bell attendants are courteous and helpful for all of our requests. Finally, the desk managers are cordial and efficient. Each time we are in the lobby they make sure our every need is being met. Aparda and Monica have been especially helpful as they registered us a month ago and have since kept us under their wing!
The lobby is gleaming and very welcoming, and always has lovely fresh cut flowers.
Breakfast is provided with a choice of full English or a lighter Continental. Both are delicious.
Again, each and every staff member, too many to name, have been first class in their service to us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you as our guest's . We all enjoyed serving you and feel happy to hear that you were comfortable during your stay. Thank you for your excellent comments regarding breakfast which will be forwarded to our Chef & her team.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance in regards to your future booking . I will be more than pleased to assist you.

Looking forward to welcomimg you again.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!