“First impressions count!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #552 of 1,073 hotels in London
Staffordshie
“First impressions count!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon arriving to check in at 2:50p.m. we were informed that owing to maintenance issues with our room, we were being transferred to a sister hotel and a taxi would be called. When we queried why we had not been notified beforehand since we could have checked in any time from 2pm, we were told that Reservations had tried to call us. My husband had no missed call or message on his mobile. 5 minutes later and whilst we were still standing at the hotel reception, Reservations called! In our opinion it is unacceptable to inform a guest that they are being transferred 50 minutes after check in time!
When we queried whether or not there were any other rooms available in the hotel, the Receptionist had to call Reservations to find out and told them that we were 'refusing' to leave. Another room was then found for us.
The room itself was cold and you could not fully open the bathroom door before it hit the bed! There seemed to be a problem with the bed in that it sloped into the middle so that it was impossible to stay on your own side!
We were pleasantly surprised by the variety of food available for breakfast but unfortunately it was quite cold.
The gym was out of order.
We can cope with small rooms for a 1 night stay but first impressions count. We would not stay at this hotel again owing to the problem that we encountered when we tried to check in and the fact that no-one had the courtesy to contact us beforehand. There was no regard as to whether or not we had booked this hotel for its location which we had. It just seemed to be assumed that we would transfer elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 14, 2013

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on your arrival at our property. We are sorry to hear that you were not informed about the transfer situation prior to your check in. We did have few maintenance issues due to which we unfortunately had to take some rooms out of service.

We are all the more sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable stay with us as your room was cold & the bed was not comfortable enough. We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you . Your feedback is of great importance to us as on the basis of it we will try our best to enhance our standard of service.

We certainly wish to make it up for the errors on our part and request you to kindly give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group. Please write to me prior to your future visit as I will ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to Check in.

754 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have had many stays in London in a wide variety of hotels but feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this one. After a long journey, it was great to arrive at the hotel to a warm and friendly reception. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful - helping me to organise my itinerary and even going so far as to draw me a map! Our room was clean, comfortable, spacious and well equipped. The bathroom was lovely and the bed was super comfortable. The hotel is a very short walk (only 5 mins dragging a heavy suitcase) from Paddington Station and we were able to use this hotel as an excellent base from where to full explore London. Breakfast was excellent and terrific value for money. For the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of having a warm, clean bed to come back to after a long day and a great breakfast to look forward to ... I will certainly be making further bookings at this hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

We are pleased to read that you had a lovely stay with us. It was such a great pleasure for us to welcome you . Your excellent feedback has been shared among our team and they all thank you for the same.

We are glad to hear that you will be choosing to stay with us in future. Please do write to me prior to visiting us again as I will be more than happy to make arrangements for your comfortable stay.

Goole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at the Metropolis hotel at sussex gardens from the 8th feb to 10th of feb 2013 as we were visiting London for the chinese new year, we have stayed in many London hotels and never had a bad one, the metropolis was a nice experience with adequate rooms including a very comfortable bed and very good shower, breakfast was excellent, the staff were very courteous and friendly, we would stay there again without hesitation, the hotel is in a good location 5mns walk from paddington tube and around 20mns walk to regent street, we would like to thank all of the hotel staff for a very nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a great pleasure for us to serve you. We are pleased to read that the location of this property was well suited to your plans , plus you experienced a satisfactory service from our team. We all are greatful to you for taking time to write & forward your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you again. Please do write to me on the below mentioned email address prior to your future visit as I will make arrangements for your comfortable stay.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The location is great - a short walk from Paddington station. Room was very functional.

My special appreciation towards one of your employees (Monica) for working with me when I was checking in to the hotel on Feb 6th. I had come off a long flight earlier than the standard check-in time. I would specially like to thank Monica for her patience, positive attitude in working with the internal team and getting the room ready. Extensive travelers like myself come across all kinds of front desk staff, however it is individuals like Monica who ensure that your hotel has my loyalty and I come back to stay with you when my travel brings me to London.

I also wanted to express my appreciation for Vlad who went out of his way to make sure that I was comfortably settled in my room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are grateful to you for forwarding us such excellent comments about our staff . We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay because of the quality service you received from our end.

Your comments have been shared among our team & they all thank you for the same. It was indeed a great pleasure for all of us to be your host.

Kindly write to me prior to visiting us again as I will ensure you are comfortable & once again experience a satisfactory service.

Warm Regards
Seahouses, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

my son and his girlfriend are on there way down today from newcastle,they are getting engaged tomorrow.They have just had a phone call telling them they are being moved to a sister hotel,god knows where,the reason being there is no hot water. when i phoned the hotel to cancell booking,they said no still come,we will send someone else there.i told them to cancell and was told to ring bookin agent Its a totall disgrace,staff seem like a bunch of liars.

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had a phone call informing you about the transfer situation.

I would like to discuss this further and thereafter will investigate with the staff here as to what exactly happened .

Please feel free to write to me on the below mentioned email address . I will await your response. It will be a pleasure for me to assist you in this matter by explaining you clearly about the whole situation.

Thanking You
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel on 2/2/13 and felt let down by the experience. The Club Room, 001, was of no greater standard to many normal hotel rooms. There were no complimentary dressing gowns, slippers as advertised and the TV had a distorted picture.

We received no details to where the Executive Lounge was situated as we were informed we could use this for free beverages.

Decent location in close proximity to Edgeware Road tube stations but overall an average experience at a more than average cost

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry to hear that even though you booked a Club room there were no Bathrobes & Slippers placed in your room. We always ensure that complete Club amenities are placed in the allocated rooms prior to the guest's arrival, however on this occassion our housekeeper missed out on placing these. Your feedback is of great importance to us as it alerts us to be extra careful in providing a good service to all our guest's.

Please write to me on the below mentioned email address prior to your future visit as I will ensure you are comfortable from the time you arrive to check in and experience a satisfactory service .

Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

i stayed here for two nights with my partner was over from ireland for the weekend! hotel was nice enough reception staff were pleasant apart from one girl who had zero personality!! room was clean but very chlosterophobic!! our window was leading out onto hallway so a bit strange, bathroom was nice but again so small and pokey!! our room was so so hot we did ask them to turn heat down but instead they managed to turn it up so we were so hot!!! price was good for location as tube station was a 5 minute walk which was so handy!! breakfast was lovely could eat as much you wanted as was self service which was nice!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 6, 2013

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We thank you for taking few moments of your precious time to forward your feedback which will certainly assist us to meet and exceed our guest's expectation.

Please accept our sincere apologies as you had to go through the inconvenience because of the room temperature , plus the room was compact and not upto your expectation. This is a Victorian type building and therefore some of the rooms are not as spacious as the rest. We truly understand your concern and really wish to make your future stay a pleasant one.

Kindly write to me in advance about your future visit as I will allocate a nice& spacious room for your stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back.