“Nice but small room located near 3 subway stations.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #556 of 1,073 hotels in London
bloomington
“Nice but small room located near 3 subway stations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The room was really nice. It looks like what it shows in the pictures. The room however was really small. I couldn't even open my 27" suit case without touching the bedside or table. The bathrooms were nice with a rainfall shower. You'll see black stuff between some of the tiles in the grout but it didn't bother us. We booked a room with 2 twin beds but it's actually one bed. There isn't enough space in the room to separate the bed. The hotel is located between 3 subway stations (less than 10 minute walk) and one rail station with a supermarket (Tesco) not too far away. It was definitely worth the $107 a night we paid. There's a nice pub across the street.

Room Tip: Our room had a name plate that said "Club Room" but it definitely didn't have the feel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay at our property.

Your feedback is precious to us as on the basis of your comments we can improve the areas which require improvement.

This is a Victorian style building and due to this reason few of the rooms here tend to look compact. We can really understand your concern about the room being conjusted. Kindly write to me on my below mentioned email address and please forward me the room number you stayed in as I will be able to give you a correct answer about the room having one bed even though you booked a twin room.

We have shared your feedback with our Housekeeper & Maintenance staff and hopefully we will be able to resolve the issues mentioned by you in regards to the tiles in the bath.

We are glad to know that overall you felt that your stay was worth . Kindly write to us prior to your future visit as we would like to ensure you stay in one of our nicest room with enough space .

Looking forward to serve you soon.

743 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was looking for accommodation for one night only, not far from Paddington and tube, to see play in West End. I booked a double room for £63 which I thought was an excellent price for a decent-looking London hotel. Having said that I was getting cold feet, thinking that you get what you pay for and we were probably walking towards a rundown tired old hotel (despite the shiny website photos).
Anyway, I was relieved, though still not confident when we arrived in a smart and modern reception area. Nice staff. We were upgraded to a club room (in the basement which i would never choose but it did have windows despite my initial concerns!) Lovely bed, large flat-screen tv, clean but very cold bathroom, with great shower. plenty of space..although didn't see the standard double rooms so no idea what we would have had. Very good cooked breakfast choice, in canteen-style 'restaurant'. We were able to leave luggage for the day after checkout, so we didn't have to drag it around all day, which was helpful. Not bad for £63. (but I would be interested to see standard rooms and would always ask for a club room on this experience)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Metropolis London Hyde Park Team we thank you for your feedback which is of great importance to us.

We feel good to know that the location of this property was well suited to your requirement, plus you found the facilities appropriate according to your expectation. We will let our Chef & her team know that you enjoyed the breakfast .

We have deluxe category rooms and above. Please do write your preferences and we will allocate a room accordingly for your future stay. We try our best to honor our guest's request depending upon availability.

Looking forward to serving you soon .

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed one night on 3rd January. The rooms are small but very clean,beds are comfy, ensuite was very "tight" but clean and serviceable. In a world where you get what you have paid for, the Shaftesbury Metropolis is very good value for money and we will definitely stay there again next time we must overnight in London. Don't expect a Sheraton, InterCon or Hilton style experience, but the staff of this very well located boutique hotel are great, helpful and understand the meaning of customer service. A special note of thanks to Aparna who as a senior manager there, took a personal interest in our short stay there. To those "meanies" who have written bad reviews, I say - My wife and I have travelled extensively for 25 years and this hotel ticked all the boxes for what we needed and expected for the price, were your expectations set to high? Also try the Monkey Puzzle pub across the road. Great (and friendly staff), nice (and friendly) local patrons. Beer is great and food palatable. A nice little Oasis. See you all next time. Good luck for 2013
JZT

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Metropolis London Hyde Park Team we wish you a very Happy New Year.

It was indeed a great pleasure for all of us to be your host. We are extremely pleased to know that you found the room very clean & comfortable. Due to Victorian architecture few of the rooms tend to look compact. We will try our level best to allocate a spacious room for your future stay.

I feel so good to know that I along with my team was able to provide you with a satifactory & a personalised service.

We all will be delighted to welcome you back . Please do write to us prior to your next visit as our endeavour will be to make your future stay a pleasant one.

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed in a number of Hotels in London, but this was the best. the price was high, but it's worth paying extra for what you get. I have always had a good experience.
The rooms are very clean, small but clean, beds are as good as at home, bathrooms are as good as you would get in any hotel in London.
The receptionist was polite and helpful.
Would stay again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you had a great experience at our property & found the location , staff service & facilities excellent, just what you would have expected.

Please feel free to write to me on the below mentioned email address prior to your future stay as I would like to ensure you are comfortable.

Hoping to serve you soon in the near future.

Best Wishes & Warm Regards

Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived at around 4 pm on New Year's Eve 2012' looking forward to our long awaited end of year celebration in Central London. One of the receptionists told me that our rooms were not available due to Maintenance Issues and promptly said that we would have to spend the evening at the Best Western Grand Hotel HEATHROW AIRPORT! We then realised that all of the people arriving in the reception ( around 3 or 4 couples ) were going to have to the same problem. It was quite obvious that the hotel had taken in higher paid guests that day or days before, because we had paid cheaper rates online when we booked in November. Our party and indeed everyone arriving with there prepaid literature had to be shipped off to Heathrow in a fleet of Hotel taxis, obviously well prepared for the situation. We could have had transport back to the city free if needed, but we were totally dispirited by then and elected to stay at Heathrow for the evening. I can only describe the evening as disastrous. There is no way of getting any information or apologies from either the hotel or Expedia despite many emails. Please do not use the Shaftsbury hotel chain in Central London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park .

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on the day you arrived to check in. We did have some maintenance issues on that particular day & keeping in mind our guest's health and safety we were not able to sell most of the rooms in this property.

Kindly let us know as to which email address have you written to regarding this problem you had to face. To be very honest we at the hotel have not received any of your email .

We would like to make it up for the errors on our part and therefore request you to please write to me prior to visiting us again so that a nice & comfortable room is allocated to make your future stay a pleasant one. We will ensure you stay with us at our property.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed with this group of hotels a few times and for the price it has been overall a good experience.
But this time is the last I will be staying with them.
First the hotel I wanted to stay in was moving me to a "sister hotel" as works where being done on the hotel.
At first upset but the receptionist was polite and being in the industry, things can happen so let it be.
Got to our new hotel and the rooms are tiny!
I know it is cheap but please.
Two people cannot move around in them. Couldn't open our suitcase without putting it on the bed.
Room stank of of damp.
Bed was broken.
Didn't have a good nights sleep at all.
Returned one night and had lost my key.
Asked if I could get a new key.
Got one straight away.
All they asked was for room number and surname.
I could have been anyone, they didn't ask for a ID proof. Being in the hospitality industry, I know it's the most common way to steal all the possessions of a guest.
And when checking out, the receptionist was too busy sorting bills and papers for even spare five seconds to look at me and give me a smile. I felt like I was bothering them, when I was just checking out, which is what guests do!
As I said other hotels in the group are nice but this one is the one that let's all that hard work go to waist.

• Stayed December 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park . We wish you a Very Happy New Year.

Thank you for forwarding your feedback which is precious to us as on the basis of this we will take necessary steps to rectify the flaws. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had.

We have taken each comment of yours into consideration and to discuss it further more I request you to kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address. We assure you that these issues will be rectified soon as possible in order to enhance our service & standard level. Guest comfort is our priority and we will go that extra mile to ensure things are improved for better.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Travelled to London for a Christmas night out. Had been emailed in the day to say due to maintenance we had been 'upgraded' to another hotel. We arrived at the other hotel which was nowhere near where we wanted to be to be shown a cupboard in the basement which was apparently our bedroom. After a phone call and speaking to reception we were 'upgraded' again to a cupboard on the 2nd floor which was classed as a club room. We were due at a function so took the room which had the window open this should have set off alarm bells, before we left we closed the window. We had to get a cab due to the distance we now were from the restaurant, the cab arrange by the hotel drove in circles so cost nearly twice as much as on the way back. We arrived back at the hotel about midnight to the smell in our room of sewers. A member of staff came to the room and brought an air fresher as a solution to the problem, not an acceptable one. We ended up getting a cab home. I would never book this hotel and would ensure no-one I know booked with them either. I wish I had read the comments on here first and will check this site in future. My next phone call will be to environmental health.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the transfer situation. We can very well imagine the discomfort you must have experienced.

I have gone through your valuable feedback very carefully and to discuss it further more I request you to kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address . On the basis of your comments we would like to take necessary steps in order to rectify the flaws you noticed during your stay with us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We wish you a Merry Chritmas & a Joyous New Year.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!