“Great Hotel great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #546 of 1,074 Hotels in London
Dundalk, Louth, Ireland
“Great Hotel great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed in a number of Hotels in London, but this was the best. the price was high, but it's worth paying extra for what you get. I have always had a good experience.
The rooms are very clean, small but clean, beds are as good as at home, bathrooms are as good as you would get in any hotel in London.
The receptionist was polite and helpful.
Would stay again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you had a great experience at our property & found the location , staff service & facilities excellent, just what you would have expected.

Please feel free to write to me on the below mentioned email address prior to your future stay as I would like to ensure you are comfortable.

Hoping to serve you soon in the near future.

Best Wishes & Warm Regards

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived at around 4 pm on New Year's Eve 2012' looking forward to our long awaited end of year celebration in Central London. One of the receptionists told me that our rooms were not available due to Maintenance Issues and promptly said that we would have to spend the evening at the Best Western Grand Hotel HEATHROW AIRPORT! We then realised that all of the people arriving in the reception ( around 3 or 4 couples ) were going to have to the same problem. It was quite obvious that the hotel had taken in higher paid guests that day or days before, because we had paid cheaper rates online when we booked in November. Our party and indeed everyone arriving with there prepaid literature had to be shipped off to Heathrow in a fleet of Hotel taxis, obviously well prepared for the situation. We could have had transport back to the city free if needed, but we were totally dispirited by then and elected to stay at Heathrow for the evening. I can only describe the evening as disastrous. There is no way of getting any information or apologies from either the hotel or Expedia despite many emails. Please do not use the Shaftsbury hotel chain in Central London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park .

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on the day you arrived to check in. We did have some maintenance issues on that particular day & keeping in mind our guest's health and safety we were not able to sell most of the rooms in this property.

Kindly let us know as to which email address have you written to regarding this problem you had to face. To be very honest we at the hotel have not received any of your email .

We would like to make it up for the errors on our part and therefore request you to please write to me prior to visiting us again so that a nice & comfortable room is allocated to make your future stay a pleasant one. We will ensure you stay with us at our property.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed with this group of hotels a few times and for the price it has been overall a good experience.
But this time is the last I will be staying with them.
First the hotel I wanted to stay in was moving me to a "sister hotel" as works where being done on the hotel.
At first upset but the receptionist was polite and being in the industry, things can happen so let it be.
Got to our new hotel and the rooms are tiny!
I know it is cheap but please.
Two people cannot move around in them. Couldn't open our suitcase without putting it on the bed.
Room stank of of damp.
Bed was broken.
Didn't have a good nights sleep at all.
Returned one night and had lost my key.
Asked if I could get a new key.
Got one straight away.
All they asked was for room number and surname.
I could have been anyone, they didn't ask for a ID proof. Being in the hospitality industry, I know it's the most common way to steal all the possessions of a guest.
And when checking out, the receptionist was too busy sorting bills and papers for even spare five seconds to look at me and give me a smile. I felt like I was bothering them, when I was just checking out, which is what guests do!
As I said other hotels in the group are nice but this one is the one that let's all that hard work go to waist.

• Stayed December 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park . We wish you a Very Happy New Year.

Thank you for forwarding your feedback which is precious to us as on the basis of this we will take necessary steps to rectify the flaws. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had.

We have taken each comment of yours into consideration and to discuss it further more I request you to kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address. We assure you that these issues will be rectified soon as possible in order to enhance our service & standard level. Guest comfort is our priority and we will go that extra mile to ensure things are improved for better.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Travelled to London for a Christmas night out. Had been emailed in the day to say due to maintenance we had been 'upgraded' to another hotel. We arrived at the other hotel which was nowhere near where we wanted to be to be shown a cupboard in the basement which was apparently our bedroom. After a phone call and speaking to reception we were 'upgraded' again to a cupboard on the 2nd floor which was classed as a club room. We were due at a function so took the room which had the window open this should have set off alarm bells, before we left we closed the window. We had to get a cab due to the distance we now were from the restaurant, the cab arrange by the hotel drove in circles so cost nearly twice as much as on the way back. We arrived back at the hotel about midnight to the smell in our room of sewers. A member of staff came to the room and brought an air fresher as a solution to the problem, not an acceptable one. We ended up getting a cab home. I would never book this hotel and would ensure no-one I know booked with them either. I wish I had read the comments on here first and will check this site in future. My next phone call will be to environmental health.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the transfer situation. We can very well imagine the discomfort you must have experienced.

I have gone through your valuable feedback very carefully and to discuss it further more I request you to kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address . On the basis of your comments we would like to take necessary steps in order to rectify the flaws you noticed during your stay with us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We wish you a Merry Chritmas & a Joyous New Year.

Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I returned to the Shaftesbury Metropolis London again this year. My daughter is at Oxford, and we wanted to spend 5 days in London. The Staff was excellent and accomodating, the room was clean and very nice. We had a club room. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was very good and a lot of choices and the dining room staff were wonderful. The location is excellent for us. Bus stops across the street, or short 2 blocks to a number of buses to get us all over London. Short walk to Paddington. A bus ride to Oxford St. and Hyde Park. Also a great Pub right across the street. The owner Gary was fabulous. Good food. I will come back and stay with my family across the Pond. Gurpreet and Aparna are fantastic and go out of their way to make you comfortable.

Room Tip: We were in the front of the Hotel, and only occasionally heard noise from the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It was indeed a pleasure for us to be your host. Your lovely comments have been shared among our team who conveys a special thanks to you for your kind gesture of writing such pleasant words about the staff and their service.We are glad to hear that the location of this property was very well suited to your requirement.

We do hope to serve you soon and request you to kindly write in advance about your future visit as I will personally ensure you are comfortable & enjoy your stay with us.

Hoping to see you soon & welcome you back.

Ramat Hasharon, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I needed a room in the centre for one night so I wasn't to picky , maybe I should have been . The hotel itself is not what you see in the pictures it is much smaller and the rooms are tiny but clean and for one night are ok not more then that , the staff is very nice and helpful.
The only problem of the hotel and I would try to be very polite is that it is located in the heart of all Islamic community many people may not find it disturbing but I felt not comfortable walking at night a bit weird since this is the centre of London.
The breakfast was good , I don't think I will stay in this hotel again the rate was very high and if I had walked in to the hotels that are next to it I would have paid 30 Gbp less for a bigger room

• Stayed December 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel rooms clean & the staff helpful. It was a pleasure serving you. However, we are sorry to know that the room size was a dissapointment. This is a Victorian type building and therefore some of the rooms tend to look compact. Please write to me prior to your next stay as I will ensure a nice and a spacious room is allocated for your comfortable stay.

The location of our property is prime and it is quite safe to walk around. So please feel very safe when you stay with us again. Our room rates can change subject to availability. You may book online on our website and might find some very good offers for your future stay.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Location - Around 7 minutes from Paddington Station.

Rooms - Very small and smelt of cigarette smoke. We changed rooms and 'upgraded' to a club suite. This room was initially a bit bigger and we were pleased. However, the toilet in the new room smelt of raw sewerage and we could not enter unless we sprayed (each time) with deodorant. We contacted reception, who were very helpful and offered to move us to a 'sister hotel'. Unfortunately this was 12:15am, therefore we decided to stay, and continue to close the bathroom door to alleviate some of the smell from entering the room.
The next day, we did have a free breakfast, but have since discovered that other guests are being moved to other hotels and were highly inconvenienced.

I would not book this hotel again, as there seems to be continued 'problems' with maintenance, therefore leading to guests being moved to hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had while your stay with us. We can very well imagine the discomfort you had due to the smoke & the stench problem . On the basis of your feedback we will take actions to rectify these drawbacks you noticed.

We have no intention of moving our guest's to our sister properties, however at times we have to face some unavoidable situations .

Kindly write to me prior to staying with us again as I will personally ensure you are comfortable and stay with us at our hotel.

Looking forward to serve you soon and hoping that we will meet and exceed your expectation next time when you are our guest.

Aparma
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!