“Spoilt our night out” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #550 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Spoilt our night out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Travelled to London for a Christmas night out. Had been emailed in the day to say due to maintenance we had been 'upgraded' to another hotel. We arrived at the other hotel which was nowhere near where we wanted to be to be shown a cupboard in the basement which was apparently our bedroom. After a phone call and speaking to reception we were 'upgraded' again to a cupboard on the 2nd floor which was classed as a club room. We were due at a function so took the room which had the window open this should have set off alarm bells, before we left we closed the window. We had to get a cab due to the distance we now were from the restaurant, the cab arrange by the hotel drove in circles so cost nearly twice as much as on the way back. We arrived back at the hotel about midnight to the smell in our room of sewers. A member of staff came to the room and brought an air fresher as a solution to the problem, not an acceptable one. We ended up getting a cab home. I would never book this hotel and would ensure no-one I know booked with them either. I wish I had read the comments on here first and will check this site in future. My next phone call will be to environmental health.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the transfer situation. We can very well imagine the discomfort you must have experienced.

I have gone through your valuable feedback very carefully and to discuss it further more I request you to kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address . On the basis of your comments we would like to take necessary steps in order to rectify the flaws you noticed during your stay with us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We wish you a Merry Chritmas & a Joyous New Year.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I returned to the Shaftesbury Metropolis London again this year. My daughter is at Oxford, and we wanted to spend 5 days in London. The Staff was excellent and accomodating, the room was clean and very nice. We had a club room. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was very good and a lot of choices and the dining room staff were wonderful. The location is excellent for us. Bus stops across the street, or short 2 blocks to a number of buses to get us all over London. Short walk to Paddington. A bus ride to Oxford St. and Hyde Park. Also a great Pub right across the street. The owner Gary was fabulous. Good food. I will come back and stay with my family across the Pond. Gurpreet and Aparna are fantastic and go out of their way to make you comfortable.

Room Tip: We were in the front of the Hotel, and only occasionally heard noise from the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It was indeed a pleasure for us to be your host. Your lovely comments have been shared among our team who conveys a special thanks to you for your kind gesture of writing such pleasant words about the staff and their service.We are glad to hear that the location of this property was very well suited to your requirement.

We do hope to serve you soon and request you to kindly write in advance about your future visit as I will personally ensure you are comfortable & enjoy your stay with us.

Hoping to see you soon & welcome you back.

Ramat Hasharon, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I needed a room in the centre for one night so I wasn't to picky , maybe I should have been . The hotel itself is not what you see in the pictures it is much smaller and the rooms are tiny but clean and for one night are ok not more then that , the staff is very nice and helpful.
The only problem of the hotel and I would try to be very polite is that it is located in the heart of all Islamic community many people may not find it disturbing but I felt not comfortable walking at night a bit weird since this is the centre of London.
The breakfast was good , I don't think I will stay in this hotel again the rate was very high and if I had walked in to the hotels that are next to it I would have paid 30 Gbp less for a bigger room

• Stayed December 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel rooms clean & the staff helpful. It was a pleasure serving you. However, we are sorry to know that the room size was a dissapointment. This is a Victorian type building and therefore some of the rooms tend to look compact. Please write to me prior to your next stay as I will ensure a nice and a spacious room is allocated for your comfortable stay.

The location of our property is prime and it is quite safe to walk around. So please feel very safe when you stay with us again. Our room rates can change subject to availability. You may book online on our website and might find some very good offers for your future stay.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Location - Around 7 minutes from Paddington Station.

Rooms - Very small and smelt of cigarette smoke. We changed rooms and 'upgraded' to a club suite. This room was initially a bit bigger and we were pleased. However, the toilet in the new room smelt of raw sewerage and we could not enter unless we sprayed (each time) with deodorant. We contacted reception, who were very helpful and offered to move us to a 'sister hotel'. Unfortunately this was 12:15am, therefore we decided to stay, and continue to close the bathroom door to alleviate some of the smell from entering the room.
The next day, we did have a free breakfast, but have since discovered that other guests are being moved to other hotels and were highly inconvenienced.

I would not book this hotel again, as there seems to be continued 'problems' with maintenance, therefore leading to guests being moved to hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had while your stay with us. We can very well imagine the discomfort you had due to the smoke & the stench problem . On the basis of your feedback we will take actions to rectify these drawbacks you noticed.

We have no intention of moving our guest's to our sister properties, however at times we have to face some unavoidable situations .

Kindly write to me prior to staying with us again as I will personally ensure you are comfortable and stay with us at our hotel.

Looking forward to serve you soon and hoping that we will meet and exceed your expectation next time when you are our guest.

Aparma
gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After reading a few reviews on here I was a bit wary but booked this hotel anyway. We booked one nights stay just to do some xmas shopping in london and to visit the winter wonderland in hyde park so location was high on my list as I wanted to be within walking distance. The hotel did try and move us to an alternative hotel by Heathow airport!!!!! This was apparently due to a boiler breakdown, although the hotel all seemed pretty warm when we arrived. I would be wary again of the so called 'over booking' scam. I was not happy at all about the re location so we were able to stay put and someone else unfortunately had to move.
But overall the staff were helpful, rooms are decent size for 1 nights stay and the location is excellent. Just what we were looking for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on your arrival at our property. We did have few technical issues with the boiler , however we tried our best to arrange a very good alternate accomodation for all our guest's. We are very sorry if this caused you any kind of discomfort.

We are pleased to hear that you experiened a good service from the hotel staff. Iam sure you will give us another oppurtunity to serve you again as this will be a great chance for us to make it up for the errors on our part.

Kindly write to me prior to staying with us again as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in and promise to provide you with a satisfactory service.

Looking forward to serve you soon in the near future.

Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

good location not far from paddington station. rooms are refurbished and offer all facilities, clean, but small. reception is kind of stylish, staff freindly, but check in and check out takes ages. we didn't have breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are pleased to read your kind comments about the cleanliness and the ambience of our property. Thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback.

Please aceept our sincere apologies if you experienced any delays during check in and check out time. Few of the staff were undergoing training and therefore they must have taken time to serve you.

Kindly write to us prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in.

We look forward to serve you soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed three nights, had free upgrade and birthday card for my husbands birthday which I thought was a nice touch. The location is excellent, breakfast excellent and staff friendly. The hotel, rooms and breakfast room where spotless, bearing in mind some of the room rates in London we thought this hotel was good value for money.

Room Tip: If want space book a "Club Room"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We as a team enjoyed serving you with great pleasure. Your pleasant comments have been shared among our team member's and they convey their thanks to you.

Please do write to me prior to your next stay with us as I will personally ensure you are comfortable .

Looking forward to serve you soon.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!