“Disappointing rooms - had to move rooms due to smoke smell in the first, then was placed in sewerage stenched room.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #550 of 1,063 Hotels in London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Location - Around 7 minutes from Paddington Station.

Rooms - Very small and smelt of cigarette smoke. We changed rooms and 'upgraded' to a club suite. This room was initially a bit bigger and we were pleased. However, the toilet in the new room smelt of raw sewerage and we could not enter unless we sprayed (each time) with deodorant. We contacted reception, who were very helpful and offered to move us to a 'sister hotel'. Unfortunately this was 12:15am, therefore we decided to stay, and continue to close the bathroom door to alleviate some of the smell from entering the room.
The next day, we did have a free breakfast, but have since discovered that other guests are being moved to other hotels and were highly inconvenienced.

I would not book this hotel again, as there seems to be continued 'problems' with maintenance, therefore leading to guests being moved to hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had while your stay with us. We can very well imagine the discomfort you had due to the smoke & the stench problem . On the basis of your feedback we will take actions to rectify these drawbacks you noticed.

We have no intention of moving our guest's to our sister properties, however at times we have to face some unavoidable situations .

Kindly write to me prior to staying with us again as I will personally ensure you are comfortable and stay with us at our hotel.

Looking forward to serve you soon and hoping that we will meet and exceed your expectation next time when you are our guest.

Aparma
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After reading a few reviews on here I was a bit wary but booked this hotel anyway. We booked one nights stay just to do some xmas shopping in london and to visit the winter wonderland in hyde park so location was high on my list as I wanted to be within walking distance. The hotel did try and move us to an alternative hotel by Heathow airport!!!!! This was apparently due to a boiler breakdown, although the hotel all seemed pretty warm when we arrived. I would be wary again of the so called 'over booking' scam. I was not happy at all about the re location so we were able to stay put and someone else unfortunately had to move.
But overall the staff were helpful, rooms are decent size for 1 nights stay and the location is excellent. Just what we were looking for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on your arrival at our property. We did have few technical issues with the boiler , however we tried our best to arrange a very good alternate accomodation for all our guest's. We are very sorry if this caused you any kind of discomfort.

We are pleased to hear that you experiened a good service from the hotel staff. Iam sure you will give us another oppurtunity to serve you again as this will be a great chance for us to make it up for the errors on our part.

Kindly write to me prior to staying with us again as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in and promise to provide you with a satisfactory service.

Looking forward to serve you soon in the near future.

Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

good location not far from paddington station. rooms are refurbished and offer all facilities, clean, but small. reception is kind of stylish, staff freindly, but check in and check out takes ages. we didn't have breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are pleased to read your kind comments about the cleanliness and the ambience of our property. Thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback.

Please aceept our sincere apologies if you experienced any delays during check in and check out time. Few of the staff were undergoing training and therefore they must have taken time to serve you.

Kindly write to us prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in.

We look forward to serve you soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed three nights, had free upgrade and birthday card for my husbands birthday which I thought was a nice touch. The location is excellent, breakfast excellent and staff friendly. The hotel, rooms and breakfast room where spotless, bearing in mind some of the room rates in London we thought this hotel was good value for money.

Room Tip: If want space book a "Club Room"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We as a team enjoyed serving you with great pleasure. Your pleasant comments have been shared among our team member's and they convey their thanks to you.

Please do write to me prior to your next stay with us as I will personally ensure you are comfortable .

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Location is good, close to Paddington Station and to the wonderful Monkey Puzzle Pub. Otherwise, though -- this property is very below-average. Decor is okay, although, the property is not being well maintained (lift was out of order 2 of the 3 days I was there, for example). My room, a "double deluxe" was subterranean, with a window view of the hallway and no fresh air or sunlight to be had. Space was tiny, even by London Hyde Park hotel standards, with a bathroom so small it was impossible to "use" it without leaving the door open to allow for some leg room. Can't imagine what the smaller single would have been like. Breakfast was atrocious, and was not included in my rate, costing £12 and largely going uneaten.

Worst was the staff -- ill informed and unhelpful throughout the stay, aside form giving directions to the tube station. Requests for help in finding a local print shop were met with blank stares, desk personnel would stop in the middle of a discussion with guests to answer phone calls then talk for 5-6 minutes without so much as an apology, and so forth. Really just extraordinarily poor customer service. "Fitness center" was a joke, with only a rickety elliptical mahine and partly broken treadmill to choose from.

With so very, very many hotel options on Sussex Gardens near Paddington, I find it hard to believe customers might do worse -- look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we as a team thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Your feedback is much appreciated as this will assist us to meet & exceed our guest's expectation.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the elevator being serviced during the period you stayed with us. We can very well understand the discomfort you felt .

We have taken your comments on board and on the basis of each we will strive hard towards improving the service & standard level. Your valuable feedback has been shared among our team member's and once again we thank you for taking time to forward your comments.

It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again with a promise that you will receive a satisfactory service from our end. Please feel free to write to me prior to visiting us again as I will personally ensure you are looked after. We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

A great hotel in a good location. Room was immaculately clean and the service was superb. I will be returning soon. Aparna was a credit to the hotel. Inadvertently, I left a set of keys in the room safe. Aparna had them posted (special delivery) to me within minutes of alerting her and they arrived safely at my house the next morning. What better service could one want. Thank you everyone at the hotel. I will see you again soon.

Dear Guest,

It was indeed a great pleasure for me & my team to assist you while your stay with us. We feel great to hear that you were impressed with the service you received.

We look forward to serving you soon. Please feel free to write to me prior to your next visit .

Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was staying in the hotel for 7 days during my business trip in the first week of November 2012. On my few days I found out that trash in the bathroom was not throw away, it made me uncomfortable because the trash can is too small for containing 2 days garbage which also showed that it was not cleaned properly. Afterward, the problem arose again upon my check out, the invoice bill could not printed due to computer problem, so Mr Gurpreet (the receptionist) promised me to send by email. I send the email to them to remind them because i need the invoice for office reimbursement which I paid in advance. Today is my 5th days checked out the hotel, and have not received the full payment invoice for my 7days stay + breakfast so I could not proceed yet for office reimbursement . Bad experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are extremely sorry to know that your room was not cleared of the rubbish in the bin while you stayed with us. Your feedback is taken on a serious note and we have alerted our housekeeper to be extra careful while doing her room checks.

One of the hotel staff did try to contact you in regards to getting your correct email address so that we could send you the invoice copy. However, we did not get any response when we called you on your contact phone number.

Kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address for any assistance you require as I will be more than happy to assist you.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!