“okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #530 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Frankfurt
“okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

good location not far from paddington station. rooms are refurbished and offer all facilities, clean, but small. reception is kind of stylish, staff freindly, but check in and check out takes ages. we didn't have breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are pleased to read your kind comments about the cleanliness and the ambience of our property. Thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback.

Please aceept our sincere apologies if you experienced any delays during check in and check out time. Few of the staff were undergoing training and therefore they must have taken time to serve you.

Kindly write to us prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in.

We look forward to serve you soon.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed three nights, had free upgrade and birthday card for my husbands birthday which I thought was a nice touch. The location is excellent, breakfast excellent and staff friendly. The hotel, rooms and breakfast room where spotless, bearing in mind some of the room rates in London we thought this hotel was good value for money.

Room Tip: If want space book a "Club Room"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We as a team enjoyed serving you with great pleasure. Your pleasant comments have been shared among our team member's and they convey their thanks to you.

Please do write to me prior to your next stay with us as I will personally ensure you are comfortable .

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Location is good, close to Paddington Station and to the wonderful Monkey Puzzle Pub. Otherwise, though -- this property is very below-average. Decor is okay, although, the property is not being well maintained (lift was out of order 2 of the 3 days I was there, for example). My room, a "double deluxe" was subterranean, with a window view of the hallway and no fresh air or sunlight to be had. Space was tiny, even by London Hyde Park hotel standards, with a bathroom so small it was impossible to "use" it without leaving the door open to allow for some leg room. Can't imagine what the smaller single would have been like. Breakfast was atrocious, and was not included in my rate, costing £12 and largely going uneaten.

Worst was the staff -- ill informed and unhelpful throughout the stay, aside form giving directions to the tube station. Requests for help in finding a local print shop were met with blank stares, desk personnel would stop in the middle of a discussion with guests to answer phone calls then talk for 5-6 minutes without so much as an apology, and so forth. Really just extraordinarily poor customer service. "Fitness center" was a joke, with only a rickety elliptical mahine and partly broken treadmill to choose from.

With so very, very many hotel options on Sussex Gardens near Paddington, I find it hard to believe customers might do worse -- look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we as a team thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Your feedback is much appreciated as this will assist us to meet & exceed our guest's expectation.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the elevator being serviced during the period you stayed with us. We can very well understand the discomfort you felt .

We have taken your comments on board and on the basis of each we will strive hard towards improving the service & standard level. Your valuable feedback has been shared among our team member's and once again we thank you for taking time to forward your comments.

It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again with a promise that you will receive a satisfactory service from our end. Please feel free to write to me prior to visiting us again as I will personally ensure you are looked after. We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

A great hotel in a good location. Room was immaculately clean and the service was superb. I will be returning soon. Aparna was a credit to the hotel. Inadvertently, I left a set of keys in the room safe. Aparna had them posted (special delivery) to me within minutes of alerting her and they arrived safely at my house the next morning. What better service could one want. Thank you everyone at the hotel. I will see you again soon.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It was indeed a great pleasure for me & my team to assist you while your stay with us. We feel great to hear that you were impressed with the service you received.

We look forward to serving you soon. Please feel free to write to me prior to your next visit .

Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was staying in the hotel for 7 days during my business trip in the first week of November 2012. On my few days I found out that trash in the bathroom was not throw away, it made me uncomfortable because the trash can is too small for containing 2 days garbage which also showed that it was not cleaned properly. Afterward, the problem arose again upon my check out, the invoice bill could not printed due to computer problem, so Mr Gurpreet (the receptionist) promised me to send by email. I send the email to them to remind them because i need the invoice for office reimbursement which I paid in advance. Today is my 5th days checked out the hotel, and have not received the full payment invoice for my 7days stay + breakfast so I could not proceed yet for office reimbursement . Bad experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are extremely sorry to know that your room was not cleared of the rubbish in the bin while you stayed with us. Your feedback is taken on a serious note and we have alerted our housekeeper to be extra careful while doing her room checks.

One of the hotel staff did try to contact you in regards to getting your correct email address so that we could send you the invoice copy. However, we did not get any response when we called you on your contact phone number.

Kindly write to me on the below mentioned email address for any assistance you require as I will be more than happy to assist you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel room is very small cozy
The location is good
The more I like in this hotel the very nice receptionist Monica. Who was so friendly and welcoming Thanks Monica for making my stay in the hotel good

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind gesture of writing such pleasant words regarding one of our colleague's service who we know is very good, efficient & professional with her work. Monica conveys her special thanks to you and feels good to hear that she was able to make your stay a comfortable one.

Please do write to me prior to visiting us again as I would like to ensure you stay in one of our best room .

Looking forward to serving you soon.

Vienna, Wien, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First of all, thanks for the alleviating words, Aparna - if that is even your real name.

It is well documented here and elsewhere (Booking.com) that Shaftesbury is running this scam of overbooking and relocating guests to lesser venues for quite some time. Unfortunately, I only checked Tripadvisor when I was already on my way, the reviews on Booking.com were not as visible and I needed a hotel quickly. But I thought, hey, Tripadvisor is not the whole world, I'll be fine. Wrong.

Like many before me, I tried to check into this hotel only to be informed of alleged "problems" with some of the rooms and was offered to be relocated to a sister hotel - out at Heathrow. Two parties checking in before me were also concerned. Upon confronting the staff, she actually had the nerve to smile, say that I was right but that people still liked to book with them. Well, good for them. I cancelled, stated I wasn't going to pay the fee (which, of course, they have in place for annoyances like this) and inform my credit card company should they try and charge as much as a cent.

The only good thing: I could use their free WiFi to book another hotel. Thanks for that.

For everyone still interested in this hotel: Don't be fooled by the photos, the lobby doesn't look nearly as nice in person.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us, however we are extremely sorry to hear that we were unable to accomodate you at our property. Please accept our sincere apologies.

We did have problems with many rooms on the day you arrived to check in and therefore an alternate arrangement was made for our guest's . It is dissapointing for us as well to know about the inconvenience you have been through due to this unfortunate situation.

It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again and make it up for the errors on our part. Having said that, I request you to kindly give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

We look forward to serving you soon and promise to provide you with a satifactory service.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Been to Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!