I booked a £170 'Superior Room' for my wife & me plus 14 yr old daughter for a Friday night visit to London to see 'The Lion King' then a visit to the 'Harry Potter Warner Studios' on Saturday morning. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station in a curious pedestrianised street which seems to allow taxis/delivery vans down it too. Check in was quick & easy. We were on the 5th floor with a view of the M40/Westway but the sound proofing on the windows is good. The room's floorspace was almost entirely taken up by the double bed and the sofa bed with very little space left. The shower/bathroom is in a sort of cupboard alongside the double bed. The sink stank as soon as water was run into it. The toilet is a separate room by the entrance door. There's good free wifi or cabled internet access too, a nice TV & a fridge with water (£2.75 for a small bottle!) plus tea & coffee making facilities.
As is always the way with hotels like this, the front desk doesn't communicate with housekeeping so although we were booked in as a triple occupancy, there were only 2 bathtowels, 2 handtowels and not enough tea/coffee/sugar for 3 people.
Breakfast is a buffet and it could be better. The bacon is folded over and like cold cardboard. The fried eggs are way underdone with lots of clear liquid floating about uncooked on top of the yolk. Restocking of items at the buffet was haphazard. The veggie sausages were 'not very nice' according to my Veggie daughter. The beans/scrambled eggs/tomatoes were all cold.
The biggest annoyance of the visit was that we asked reception to order a taxi for us to go out to dinner in the evening, as the alternative would have been to walk back to Paddington Station in the rain. Instead of a black cab, what turned up was a 'bloke in a Mercedes'. I asked him to take us to Covent Garden. 'Where's that?' was the disappointing reply. He then proceeded to tear the car apart to look for his trusty Tom-Tom satnav. 'How much?' I asked spotting that he had no meter. £20 was the answer. At this point I noticed a warning message on his instrument display ' BRAKE PADS WORN OUT - TAKE THIS CAR TO BE SERVICED IMMEDIATELY' said the Mercedes computer. At this point we were passing the next door office building which had a 'For Hire Black Cab' parked outside. I told Mr Mercedes man to stop as I felt that (A) He was incompetent (B) He was overcharging us and (C) His car was unsafe. The metered black cab took us to Covent Garden and it cost £12.50.
So why do the Novotel use this dodgy cab company? All I know is that the receptionist who I complained to later, on our return said their usual cab company was busy that night.Not sure I believed him.
Apart from 2 or 3 people on Reception, the rest of the staff did not speak English. I pointed at something indeterminate on the breakfast buffet which I didn't recognize and asked 'Could you tell me what that is please'? What followed was an East European version of a conversation immortilized in Fawlty Towers with Manuel responding 'Que?' to everything asked of him, except in this case it wasn't Spanish but Polish or Rumanian.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Novotel London Paddington is in the Paddington Central area, easily accessible by public transport and a few minutes' walk from Paddington Station (15 minute link to Heathrow Airport and great connection to all parts of London with 4 tube lines). Enjoy a shopping spree on Oxford Street or take a leisurely stroll to Hyde Park and Kensington Palace. All 206 rooms have free Wifi access and satellite TV. Our Elements restaurant and bar also offer a relaxed dining and drinking experience. The hotel has a swimming pool, sauna and fitness room for you to unwind after a long day exploring London. You can as well use our concierge services to book your tickets for the best West End shows or for numerous attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Novotel London Paddington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel London Paddington Hotel London
- Accor London Paddington
- Novotel London Paddington England