“Noisy and poor internet - can find better value in the area” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Harrington

Save Saved
You added The Harrington to your Saves list
The Harrington
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1 Harrington Gardens | South Kensington, London SW7 4JJ, England (Formerly Avni Luxury Serviced Apartments) (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #75 of 609 Specialty lodging in London
“Noisy and poor internet - can find better value in the area”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Currently staying at the Harrington in a 2br apartment. Having read the trip advisor reviews, I considered cancelling our booking. However, we were assured in advance by management that the rooms would be quiet but we have found traffic noise to be a major problem - to the point where nobody is getting a proper sleep. The wifi connection only works in the (cupboard sized) kitchen and not the living area. Having complained about this twice per day for 3 days I have now given up. The beds are also extremely cheap/soft with no support - I travel weekly but have never had such bad beds ever. The location is brilliant and the rooms are clean (but very tired/damaged) but I wouldn't stay here again and I would recommend that anybody who is hesitating about booking here think twice.

• Stayed July 2014

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Preston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Got a great deal for a bedsit style apartment for 1 night and probably that's why we got the room we did.
First impressions not great- room smelt musty- probably because it was in the basement!
Skylights provided natural light but also street light at night!
Bathroom was tiny and shower sluggish , could also have been cleaner.

On the plus side the room was huge and well equipped with mini kitchen and very comfy bed.
Great location 2 mins from Gloucester road tube, 10 mins walk to museums.
Lots of coffee shops etc close by .

Room Tip: B4 not great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at Harrington Gardens from May 15 - 22, 2014. We chose this location based on the reviews.

Upon first entering the building, we received a very warm welcome from Mirka, who in our opinion, provided the best customer service of the staff that we encountered during our stay.

We were located on the 5th floor in a studio apartment; the staff had read our request that we did not want to stay in the basement; this was based on prior reviews that we read about noise.

Our room was very clean and spacious for a hotel in London. However, I agree with another comment made, that there needs to be more storage available; there are no shelves, and only one wardrobe to place clothes in.

Unfortunately, our room was located right beside the emergency exit, and every time the cleaning staff entered or exited from that door, we could hear an incredibly loud bang in our room. We had just arrived from Canada and were jet-lagged, and this was not the best first impression.

My husband called down to the front desk, and the gentleman who was working addressed the issue right away. He had a maintenance person come up to adjust the door to eliminate the banging. We were impressed by this.

That said - the next day we noticed that the safe in our room was broken. The gentleman on staff came to take a look at the safe and determined that maintenance would have to be called to address the problem. A maintenance person came the next morning and promised to come back to fix the safe the following day. Unfortunately, the maintenance person never came back. I cannot blame this on the staff, but I do feel that this is an issue that management needs to address.

The bed in our room was extremely comfortable and the kitchen offered all that one needs in order to cook. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The location of this hotel is excellent. It is literally two short blocks from the Gloucester Road tube station. There are restaurants and grocery stores in the area. There is a Tesco and a Waitrose located right near the tube station, so this a big plus!

Now I would like to focus on what I think needs improvement.

1. Management should be on site to deal with customer complaints. One morning we entered the lobby to overhear a customer complaining about the air-conditioning not working in his room, and the hotel staff member was trying hard to appease the customer - there was no manager present to deal with this issue. We felt sorry the young man having to deal with the complaint on his own.

2. When a customer makes a complaint, it should be dealt with right away. Our safe was never fixed, and no one followed up with us about this issue.

3. Some of the staff seemed less than enthusiastic to be working for this hotel. One staff member (front desk staff person) in particular, rarely smiled and never greeted us when we entered or left the hotel.

4. When customers are checking out, it is a good practice to ask them whether they enjoyed their stay. Otherwise, how will you ever know whether they have good or bad feedback?

5. It would be nice to have maps and other information available to guests about London; this kind of information can be very helpful.

Overall, I feel that this hotel is good value for money. The real issue that needs to be addressed is the lack of professionalism and follow through from Management. If these problems are addressed, and concerns over noise and maintenance issues are dealt with, I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again. It is good value for money and the location is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a spacious room quite comfortable with an adequate bathroom and excellent kitchen with everything necessary. Very good housekeeping, the rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day. The locarion is excellent, a few minutes walk to the subway and plenty of restaurants and coffee shops practically next door. Only inconvenience were the night tables, too small. On the other hand the best were the large bath towels, seldom found in hotels!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This review summarises three stays at The Harrington this year - the first in February and the others in May. Had I written this review after the February stay, it would have been a glowing one, but having stayed a couple more times since, I have a more balanced view.

We chose The Harrington because Matthew Brooks, who had formerly been the Manager at Harrington Court (when it was still good) had moved here and Harrington Court had gone to seed by the time we last stayed there in Sep13. I had received an email from Mr.Brooks saying that The Harrington had been newly renovated and we thought we would give it a try.

The Positives:

1. On our first visit, my partner and I stayed in the Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment on the 5th floor and we thoroughly enjoyed it for its space and layout. The bedroom was large and nicely appointed, with a decent amount of wardrobe space provided. The living / dining room was really spacious, helped by the fact that the kitchen was entirely separate. The bathroom was not the largest, but of an adequate size and the shower was very good.

2. On our second visit, the property was fully booked and we were (apologetically) provided a basement apartment. This turned out to be a Deluxe Studio, whereas we had booked a One Bedroom apartment. I did want to fuss at first, but my partner loved the room and convinced me not to. I'm glad she did, because I ended up really liking the room too. The fact that it was in the basement didn't detract from our enjoyment in any way and we both liked the thoughtfully laid out open plan design of the room.

3. Mirka at reception. In addition to being welcoming, pleasant to deal with and very professional, Mirka has always been willing to go the extra mile to help out when something extra was needed (taking some emergency washing / pressing out to the nearby laundry for me, for instance, and bringing it back when done) and is a reassuring presence whenever I've been in a flap about something, such as wifi crashing.

4. The standards of hygiene. The Harrington's army of cleaners do sterling work and the apartments were well serviced each time we stayed. Towels were changed daily, which was a nice (and very welcome) touch.

5. The location is fantastic - a hop and step away from Gloucester Road tube, minutes from a variety of restaurants and within 10 to 15 minutes' walk from the Museums.

6. Plug-points. I realise this may sound a bit mad, but as someone who stays in plenty of hotels and been quite frustrated at times at not being able to charge several devices at once, it really is a pleasure to have plenty of plug-points dotted around throughout the apartment!

7. Free wifi, which is always a plus.

The Areas For Improvement:

1. On our third stay, we chose a standard one-bed apartment, which turned out to be on the third floor. While the apartment itself was spacious and nicely laid out, there were a couple of issues that really should not have cropped up in a newly renovated property: first, the air-conditioning simply did not function properly and this caused a fair amount of discomfort as the weather was warm and muggy over the weekend we stayed; second, the hot water through the shower was entirely inadequately heated (it may have been warm, but I do like to take hot showers!)

2. The lift is tiny and would quite scary for anyone even remotely claustrophobic (my partner opted to take the stairs on quite a few occasions, rather than cram in with other people, which is not a problem for her as she's quite fit, but would certainly be an issue for older guests). It certainly didn't help when I arrived with a couple of large bags to find that the buttons for floors two and three weren't working - something that the receptionist neglected to tell me after checking me in. When I emerged to point out that the lift wasn't working, he told me that I'd have to go up to the 4th floor and walk down and he had no idea when the lift would be repaired. To be fair, he did offer to carry my luggage up for me, but since we were on the third floor, I took the lift to the 4th and lugged my bags down the one flight of steps. The buttons weren't fixed for a further three days, which was a nuisance.

3. The wifi is patchy and temperamental through most areas of the building. Given that it is an essential part of life these days, something should be done to boost the signal. There was also one day in which the wifi crashed altogether for quite a while

4. Inexperienced and / or unsmiling reception staff. While a couple of reception staff are very good, both in terms of being friendly and in terms of being helpful, there are a couple of staff who don't seem to know anything much about anything and there is also one lady in particular who barely deigns to smile when approached. While people like Mirka make it a pleasure to stay, the other sort leaves a bad taste in the mouth and the management should take care to ensure a consistent service.

5. In both the deluxe one-bed and the standard one-bed, instead of one large mattress, the bed comprised two single mattresses, which was a real irritation as either my partner or I would end up sinking into the space between the two at one point or another each night. A double bed really should have one large mattress!

All things considered, The Harrington is a very pleasant - and very good value - place to stay in a fantastic Central London location. It would be a shame if the high standards that have been set are not continued to be maintained

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at The Harrington serviced apartments in May 2014 for a week.
We arrived a little tired ,but were given our room ( services studio apartment ) within 20 minutes of arrival.
The bathroom was quite large and modern. The kitchen although not large was very functional and clean with plenty of crockery and cutlery,a fridge, microwave and electric kettle and a small stove.
The bedroom was a tad small. King size bed, but very little room to move down the side a get in. It was comfortable and the staff supplied us with extra soft pillows as per our request. The bedroom also had to double as the dining room with a small glass table under the large wall mounted TV.
A free fast WiFi service was also available and much appreciated.
The cleaning staff and front desk staff were excellent and more than happy to meet all our needs.
The surrounding area was full of eateries,a Tesco Express and a very well stocked Waitrose supermarket. Transport was also very accessible with Gloucester Rd Tube about 200 yards up the road and plenty of public bus options.
All in all, I would have no hesitation with recommending The Harrington as a fine comfortable place to stay while visiting London.

Room Tip: We had a studio and whilst it was very comfy, we did look a the 2 room options and would choose that...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Very good location for commuting (metro station around the corner). You can find everything you need easily (Supermarket, Pub, Restaurants, Coffees even a Pharmacy is next to it). Very rare to find a space like that in Central London. Only issue the bed wasn't so confi but that's a personal preference.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to The Harrington? Share your experiences!