“I was not expecting much but I came back with my lads” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peckham Lodge

Save Saved
You added Peckham Lodge to your Saves list
Peckham Lodge
110 Peckham Road, London SE15 5AD, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Ranked #268 of 526 London B&B and Inns
UK
“I was not expecting much but I came back with my lads”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I run a small business and had to look for a cheap accommodation for me and my lads in the area. I have read the mixed reviews of this hotel from another website but since it met my budget I decided to give it a try anyway.
The hotel is surprisingly more than what I was expecting. It was clean all throughout and I even had a big bed in my room. The TV was a flat screen. It looked like my room was recently done as the toilet and the wash basin looked shiny, clean and newly installed. The reception was full when I arrived but I did not have any problems checking in. The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable they have given me area info without reading from the internet like some hotel staffs do.
I had to leave the next day since I held a booking that cannot be cancelled (or I will be charged 1 night rate) with the nearest similar hotel but I came back the week after that with my lads at work to stay a few more days.
To summarise I would recommend this hotel again. The breakfast is simple but I'm ok with it since I don't eat much anyway. My lads were buying all sorts of hot food from the vending machine of the hotel and the set-up worked fine for them. The staff was good, I had a comfortable bed, clean room all went well for me and I'm definitely coming back. That's it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

I am a world traveler now entering my dotage. I decided to treat myself to a cruise because it offered a few places to which I had not been and also had a climbing wall on the ship which sounded fun.
On the plane I noticed I did not feel well. I was in first class. We landed and although I had only one small bag I found I could not handle it. I got to Victoria station with the help of train people and immediately pounced on a lovely young man by saying, "You're going to Peckham-Rye are you not?" When he affirmed I said, "you can help me" to which he readily agreed. He handled everything and even carried my stuff to the hotel.
Once in it took a while to get me my room because I was there at ten in the morning but once in it I opened my bag and back pack and lay on the bed. One hour later I called for an ambulance and, leaving all my stuff unattended, went for a delightful stay in Kings College Hospital where I was treated wonderfully. I was worried about my things so the hospital called and was assured all my things would be packed up and held for me.
Although I did have some diamond/sapphire earring and other things with me, nothing was taken. All, including my new laptop were packed and roped together.
I came back a week later and although they said they were full, they insisted on helping me for as long as I needed. (I had been admonished not to travel)
I left the next day but these people, all of them, were wonderful. The room was clean, water hot and television worked fine.
If you go to a one star hotel you should not expect five star service but I got it!!!
Patricia Schoen, Florida

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
BATTERSEA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I am extremely annoyed and frustrated at this hotels poor quality! I am surprised such a filthy and poorly run hotel can even be allowed to open in London.
I was almost in tears when I was still waiting to have the keys bought down for my booked room for over 30mins for a room I had pre-booked over the internet!
Apparently the room was not ready!
The attitude of the staff was profoundly unprofessional apart from Security officer who I knew was security from his all black attire; was not wearing is License on display is well. The other members of staff where talking to each other like they where at a bar! Talking about football and who scored what goal in what match and what team is where in the premiership.

They where laughing and joking about while my time was been wasted! When the keys finally arrived they where the wrong keys and I had to wait even further! When the right keys turned up my friend and I where taken to a room which was so far away from the reception we had to go up and down all over the place outside the hotel and back in again. When we got there the Security officer didn’t know which door it was to open and there was no letters on the doors and we all didn’t know which was our room as the large flat they took us too was not what I had booked. It was cold is well no lights bulbs in the wires hanging from the ceiling and what made matters worse was the security officer was laughing through out and cursing about what I had thought of the hotel. He was correct I hated it and thought it was a joke at my expense.

When we returned to reception we only got upset faces from the staff at reception when the Security informed them they didn’t like it. I was at this point so angry I told the man at reception I have been here before to this hotel and he told me standards have changed. I thought don’t I know it. I had to wait an extra hour before I was given a room similar to what I had booked so in total I they wasted 1 hour and 30mins of my time. The room was not even correct and was extremely filthy!

The fridge if I could call it that looked like it was stolen from a skip or waste ground somewhere. The beds where very uncomfortable the duvet was so thin I mistaken it for a sheet on the bed while there was a heater provided it didn’t work. Central heating was broken is well. And someone left the window open and it was too stiff to close! The bathroom across the hall was filthy and where given no towels and the shower in the Barth didn’t work either. I am extremely discussed by the service provided by Peckham Lodge I will NEVER, NEVER! RETURN !!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Let me begin by saying that I was at Peckham Lodge for about a half hour. My boyfriend and I got there and it didn't look too bad from the outside. Not beautiful, but not too bad. The inside is kind of shabby and looked a bit dirty. We asked to be shown a room before we paid and we definitely would not recommend the regular private room. It looked very dirty. We asked to be shown an ensuite room, and that one wasn't too bad. I still didn't feel comfortable staying though. The staff seemed cold and unfriendly although not outright rude, and the area is inconvenient. We weren't close to a Tube station and the area just didn't seem safe from what we saw. A member of the staff also made me quite angry - I was carrying my suitcase and he followed me and almost shouted and demanded to know where I was taking it. I said I was carrying it with me, and he told me I couldn't. He said I HAD to leave it in the lobby. He was scolding me very loudly. Personally, I believe that I should be able to take MY suitcase wherever I want to, so that made me angry. So overall, from what I saw, the ensuite room didn't seem that bad. However, the attitudes of the staff members I spoke to as well as the feel of the area forces me to say that I would not recommend this hotel. It may not be the worst hotel in London, but there are so many much much better ones for only a little bit more money. If you must stay here, at least get an ensuite private room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
ytinirT1_1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Peckham for 15 days. The rooms were cleaned daily. The breakfast provided was just as described. The staff were friendly, helpful, and very kind. They were wonderful. My daughter, aged 6, was very impressed with how the staff made her feel like a little princess. If we had any questions or needed any advice on places to eat, things to see or do, or how to get to someplace, there were there to help. They helped us a lot and knew us by name. Thanks for a wonderful stay and we will be back again. lol SOON i hope!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Dortmund
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Never stay there! All our stuff gut stolen out of the room right after our arrival. The POLICE told us, that Peckham lodge is very well known for that and it happens very often! They don't only host tourist, but also LOCAL CRIMINALS!
After reporting the people at the reception about the bulgurary, they pretended to call the police (which they actually never did, we asked the police officer), didn't care at all, appereantly they can't check the security cameras etc. We really assume that the staff plays an important role in all what happened.

Besided the high criminality inside the hotel, Peckham itself is quite a "ghetto" and far away from the city of london.
The room was okay, not that clean but not as horrible as they are described often on sides like this one. That's all i can say about the comfort, we didn't want to sleep there because we were really scared and left immedialy after we realized what happened.

Once again: WARNING!! HIGH CRIMINALTY INSIDE OUT OUTSIDE OF THE HOSTEL!!! AVOID TO STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

The reviews here are overwhelmingly bad, but with its hard to beat prices (inclusive of continental breakfast) and hotel's location in London zone 2, my husband and I decided that it's at least worth the try. Upon arrival and expecting the worst, I must say that we were pleasantly surprised! The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Check-in was fairly quick and the room we were given was clean, tidy and recently renovated. There's also free wireless internet access which was an added bonus!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Peckham Lodge? Share your experiences!