“One little problem......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Wellington Hotel

You added The Wellington Hotel to your Saves list
The Wellington Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 - 83 Waterloo Road | Waterloo, London SE1 8UD, England   |
Special Offer
Trip Advisor - 10% off
Ranked #395 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“One little problem......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great location, a bit noisy until the trains stop but ear plugs are provided. Basic but clean, and bathroom smells a bit damp - you get what you pay for in that although the place was clean the curtains and carpets were old and shabby. Lovely breakfast. My little problem was the unwelcome critter that joined us and ran across the floor across.

Room Tip: Ask to be on a lower floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mark L, Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you for your feed back regarding your stay at wellington hotel.
Just to let you know that we are having a hotel refurbishment very soon and hopefully on your next stay at the wellington hotel will be amazing..
Kind regards
Adil Murati
Deputy manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had the family room. It is all ok - cheap but the beds were good and the room was clean, had fresh water bottles and everything else we needed. The included breakfast was excellent with the exception of coffee - fruit, toast, baked goods, and a choice of cooked options. The price was extremely reasonable - well below anything else I have had in London and much better than many of the places that charge double the rate of this place. The location was good too - tubes, trains, buses and walkable. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful; and kept our bags behind the bar during the day before we got our room. The only negative was that bathroom was really terribly smelly - mould perhaps (not visible) or drains - but if you kept the door shut and avoided breathing while on the toilet... then one could live with it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your customer feed back with regards to your stay here with us at wellington hotel.I do apologise regards to the smell from the bathroom . Just to let you know that we are having a refurbishment in february and i hope that you will come and stay with us again in new refurbished rooms.
Kind regards
Mark.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Friendly staff and nice pub downstairs. Check-in took a long time. Room was small and in need of a refurb. Waited over half an hour for the cooked breakfast and had to leave before it arrived. Was a bit worried about the train tracks being so close but actually slept very well. This was close to where I needed to be but for the price, I could've done a lot better, still been close and maybe gotten a breakfast!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hi . Thank you for your review at trip advisor. I am glad you had a good night sleep here at wellington hotel. we have different opinions about the train next to our hotel. regarding the breakfast i apologise for taking a bit longer then usuall and that becouse on this particular morning everyone was there at the same time. Have a wanderfull christmas .
Zacatecas, Tabasco, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Booked with a little trepidation,due to previous reviews, how wrong!!! Great location,Waterloo station just across the road. We were booked in onto the top floor,by very helpful staff, the stairs were not a problem. The room(25) was quite small, but I didn't come to London to stop in the room all weekend.Great breakfast,cereals, fruit and full English all served fresh by pleasant staff.Ignore the reviews and get booked in, we'll be back!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi goodmorning.Thank you for your review at trip adviser about the wellington hotel. I am glad that you had great time and you enjoyed your stay with us. everyone enjoys the breakfast here and for an old boy Ian does a good job.I hope you have a good christmas and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Mesa, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We REALLY wanted to like this place- the location is superb and the price was ideal for 2 people on a budget. However, everything else was a let down. The beds were beyond uncomfortable- it felt like I was sleeping on soda cans! My ribs hurt for a few days after we checked out because of the bedsprings. We were in room 19, which someone else had mentioned had a broken window. Still broken when we checked in. We were told there were no other rooms available, so the poor girl at the bar had to bring a mallet up to whack the window back in place. The shower was small- I'm 5'3" and could not turn around in the stall without hitting my elbows on the walls. No phone in the room, so every issue we had (broken window, no iron) we had to march downstairs to notify someone. Had to use our own phone to call a taxi for the morning, since the pub had already closed. Not only was not having a phone inconvenient, it just also seemed unsafe. All in all, we would not recommend this hotel- you can't put a price on a good night's sleep!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us here. I can understand the reasons why your stay wasn't good. I will let you know that we are planning to have a major refurbishement of all rooms in the spring of 2014.

I would be be delighted to have you with us again to enjoy the better standard rooms. I am sure I could arrange a good rate for you if you ever wanted to take me up on our offer.

With regards to your comments about the taxi, we do work with a nominated taxi service that can be pre-booked at reception. Unfortunately at this time there must have been a breakdown in communication.

Regards
Kelso, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights with my 2 kids aged 8 and 10, loved it! Location was perfect for exploring London either by foot or tube, and despite being in the centre and above a pub we really didn't hear much noise. Breakfast was amazing, huge selection of hot and cold! Room was well stocked and extras were refilled daily! Also the waitress at breakfast was lovely, really friendly, my son left a book one morning and was delighted to have it returned to him by her the next morning! Would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Most people like our breakfast and I am happy that you liked it to. I will pass on your comments to the breakfast girls, I am sure they will appreciate it.

Hope the kids had a good time, I know it is hard work looking after little ones.

Again, thank you for your review. I do hope that father christmas will bring many presents for you and your boys.

Birstall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

In July I was travelling to London for a conference and decided to make it into a short break for me and my partner. We stayed at the Wellington Hotel for 2 nights and had a really nice time. The pub itself was very nice, the food was tasty and the staff very friendly. It was in a great location, just over the road from Waterloo Station which made getting around very easy. Our room was on the third floor and there was no lift, but we didn't let it bother us. I can see how this would annoy other people though. The room was quite small and could have done with decorating, but it was all very clean and tidy. There was a nice shower room, a big comfy bed and a TV. Although it was so close to the station you hardly noticed the noise on a night and we got a good night's sleep both nights. Yes it could have been a little better, but for what we paid and what we needed it was just right. Let's face it, you don't go to London to sit in a hotel room!

Room Tip: If you don't like using stairs, ask for a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for leaving your review. Those stairs can be a killer, trust me I've been doing it for 10 years! If you choose to stay with us again, email me and I will make sure you get a room of a lower floor.

All rooms are being refurbished in the spring of next year. Maybe then London will be a place to go to and spend all your time in the room.

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

Mark

Been to The Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!