“Almost 10/10” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Wellington Hotel

You added The Wellington Hotel to your Saves list
The Wellington Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 - 83 Waterloo Road | Waterloo, London SE1 8UD, England   |
Special Offer
Trip Advisor - 10% off
Ranked #383 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Almost 10/10”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed with my Daughter. Good Points: Helpful and friendly staff. Lovely clean bathroom with fabulous shower and good quality, clean white fluffy towels. It looked like a new bathroom. Good size room. Lovely, quiet and relaxing breakfast with no queuing necessary. Good selection to choose from and the vegetarian cooked breakfast option was appreciated. We were able to put our case in a locked cupboard when we checked out and collected it later that evening. Good location with Waterloo Station opposite and bus stops literally outside the hotel door.

We arrived just after 1 pm so that we could have lunch in the pub before check in at 2 pm. Lunch was lovely. We went to the Reception Desk at 2 pm but were told the rooms were not ready so no-one could check in until 2.30 pm. We were offered complimentary hot drinks while we waited which we thought was a lovely touch. After about 25 minutes the Lady in charge came over and told us we could now check in. We were given room 19 on the second floor and shown where to go and how to get in without having to go through the pub (the lady checked our room entry cards worked the external door). There were quite a few stairs which could be a problem for some people but not for us.

There were a few stains on the bedroom carpet. Only one mug and set of ear plugs even though it was a twin room. We went out shortly after checking in and on our return noticed that someone put a couple of small bottles of water in our room but there was still only one mug. The room had 2 large windows but the side opener on one of them was broken so the window couldn't be closed. Therefore, we were slightly concerned about security (even though we were on the second floor) plus the open window resulted in increased noise from outside. Luckily it was very warm in the room but had it been winter, not being able to close the window would have caused me a problem.

If you want to stay in central London you must expect noise but it wasn't as bad as we feared so don't let noise put you off (unless you live in the middle of nowhere). Trains don't seem to run during the night. The road outside does quieten down but groups of people, night buses, taxis and cars do continue to go past all through the night. I woke up during the night so enjoyed watching the world go by for a while out of the window at 3 am!

I must stress that there is no internal noise. Even though you are above a large, popular pub, you cannot hear anything from it or from adjoining rooms/corridor etc.

The Wellington Hotel is much better than a B & B and smaller, more friendly and welcoming than your usual London Hotel. The staff are very nice.

We didn't say aything about the window because we presumed all rooms were full which is why we were given the room, but I hope they get it fixed immediately. We would definitely stay again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Main road is busy through the night but does get quieter. Trains seem to stop overnight.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We work hard and try our best to make our guests stay a good one. We have spoken to the chambermaids about making sure that all items are available in the room.

We will investigate the window not closing in room 19 and have it rectified.

Happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and thanks again for posting your comments here.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My fiancé and I recently stayed here for my Birthday. I went into the room first to find that it was decorated with balloons and had a birthday cake waiting for me with candles and matches, plates and cutlery. It turns out that it had secretly been arranged by the staff and my fiancé. such a nice touch. the wellington is in an ideal location just opposite the tube station which made our visit a whole lot easier. the room was nicely decorated and well stocked with the necessary tea making facilities. it was a bit loud at night due to the location but this couldn't be helped. there was a good variety of food to choose from for breakfast and the staff were all very friendly. we would definitely stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Lovely that you enjoyed your stay with us dispite the noise from the trains / street. We hope that you enjoyed your birthday and your time in London.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Hope to see you here again sometime soon.

Chichester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights (Saturday & Sunday) back in August. Before we arrived we were a little wary about staying above a pub next to a mainline London station, but we needn't have worried....

The staff were all very friendly. The room itself was reasonably standard but perfectly clean and slightly larger than we expected it to be, which was a pleasant bonus. The bathroom was great and the power shower was superb!

The location is absolutely spot on. In one direction it is a maximum of 4-5 minutes walk to the National Theatre and other attractions on the South Bank, in the opposite direction it is 2 minutes from the Old Vic Theatre, and literally on the other side of the road is Waterloo Station. Now I won't deny that the road outside is very busy, and therefore pretty noisy, but if you want a quiet retreat pay through the nose to stay in the countryside. Personally, we didn't think the noise was that bad, and we had our window slightly open during the evening as well. The hotel recognise the noise issue and there are ear plugs provided in the room if you feel you need them. personally my sleep wasn't great but that is because I am 6'7" and the bed was slightly short for me, but then that is something that I regularly have to deal with and nothing to do with the quality of the bed.

The biggest bonus of the place for me was the excellent breakfast that was included. All sorts of fresh fruit, cereal, croissants, pain au chocolat, 3 different types of fruit juice, and tea and coffee. And once you had helped yourself to all that there was a full English breakfast as well, made with good quality ingredients.

In summary we were pleasantly surprised to find such a good value hotel in this location and would therefore recommend it anyone other than those that like very quite hotels.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the side or the back of the hotel to cut down on road noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello and many thanks for taking your time to post a review about your stay.

Like in other guest reviews, you have summarised many good things about us like the breakfast and location. It is also fair to say that the noise can be an issue for some but we are happy that it didn't disturb your stay with us.

You also mentioned that you believe we are good value for the location. I guess by looking at the prices and what you get for the price at some of our competitors around Waterloo, we are good value.

Once again, thanks for your comments and please come again.

Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a convenient stay in forever busy London. I have a lot to appreciate about this hotel, so lets begin with the check-in. We checked-in late, hassle free and fast. The staff is very hospitable. The room we got was very comfortable and the shower room was sparkling clean. I was a bit sceptical about sleep quality due to several noise issues mentioned by people on reviews but let me clarify this! It is not going to affect your sleep until you are an over-sensitive sleeper. The breakfast was superb and wholesome. The location of this hotel is icing on the cake as it is situated 10 mins walk to London eye and very close to, westminster bridge and abbey. You save on taking tube travel time for these tourist spots. Waterloo station is just next to the hotel therefore you are very well connected to the entire London. In short, it was a fab stay, lovely people, delicious breakfast and comfy rooms. Thank you Peter (At reception) :) !! I will not even think twice before booking my next stay at this hotel. Period.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay with us. It is nice to hear from a guest that the noise was not a major issue. I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are close to many London attractions as you mentioned and yes, our chef Ian does cook a very nice breakfast.

Once again, thanks for leaving comments and we do hope to see you here again somtime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed with husband and 6yr old son. £105pn incl breakfast can't be beaten. Location was ideal with most places within easy walking distance. Rooms basic but spotless and comfortable. Excellent choice at breakfast and VERY tasty. Good choice on bar menu and 2 course kids meal with drink for less than £6 was great value. Pub gets very busy and even though we were over front entrance we werent bothered by bar or train noise, just general city noises. It was great to be able to return to bar for a few drinks knowing we didn't have to go out again for food with a tired child before going up to the room (unlike some featureless budget chain hotels). Final word has to go to Markk and his team for making us welcome and we look forward to seeing you again next year. Thanks

• Stayed August 2013
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Hi Hooky,

Please tell me that is not your real name! Thank you for your review and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Wellington is like an old piano, everyday we ty to play good tune. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Hope to see you here again soon.

Kind regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was located very centrally and was easy to get to on the metro as its right across from a station.

Checking in can be a bit confusing as we arrived very early and the pub downstairs (which is also where you check in) was not open. Luckily someone from the pub noticed us and some other guests trying to get inside! Check in is not available until after 2 but they will store your bags for you so that you can sightsee in the meantime.

There is no elevator so be prepared to lug all of your stuff to your room. The room itself was quite small but adequate for a couple. There is no a/c but a fan is provided. Only one of the windows in the room would open which was too bad as it was a bit musty smelling but otherwise clean.

The room we were in backs on to the train tracks and can be quite loud. The trains didnt seem to run past about midnight but did start again quite early (6 am?).

The breakfast provided in the pub downstairs is quite good.

Overall, not a bad choice for the cost. We did not spend a lot of time in the room as we were busy being tourists for most of the day. Everything we wanted to see in London was walkable from this location and it's very easy to find bus tours to take you to the farther reaches.

• Stayed August 2013
Hi and thank you for taking your time to post a review. You did mention the trains, which other guests have also metioned in the past. I have asked the railway not to start the train service until after 9.00am but they just laughed at my proposal.

I hope there were more ups than downs staying with us and I do hope that you enjoyed London

Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived not knowing what to expect staying at a hotel above a popular pub but we was pleasantly surprised with the friendliness off this hotel . It is ideal for people on the go as it is a stone throw away from waterloo station and other local shops and restaurants ... the staff could not help you more and the price you pay is fantastic for the service you get its not the ritz but its not priced like them either all in all if you want clean hotel with a fantastic breakfast good clean comfy room with an amazing shower then id definitely recommend this hotel thanks to mark and his team for our stay :-)

Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I like the ritz part. I have been to the ritz and I felt very out of place. Maybe that's because I havn't got ritz money. Hope to see you here again. Make yourself known to me and I will be happy to have a beer with you.

Regards
Mark

Been to The Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!