“Honest tasty food, friendly service, cafe style surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

020 7609 9832
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #482 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London
“Honest tasty food, friendly service, cafe style surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We've visited enough Ethiopian restaurants in London's fair city to start considering ourselves "amateur connoisseurs" and have to say that this is one of our favourites. The food is tasty, and reasonably priced and the lady who runs it is really lovely, chatty and helpful. The restaurant itself is in fairly unassuming surroundings just near to cally road tube. The interior is kind of sparse. We had a vegetable selection and then a lamb dish and a beef dish with 2 injera and struggled to finish everything. It was all delicious. Especially the vegetable dishes - we're not vegetarians but I can see this place really appealing to non meat eaters due to the wide selection of veggie stuff available.

For those complaining about the surroundings - this isn't a posh restaurant. You're there to eat delicious home cooked food with your fingers . Stop complaining! It's social experience so great to do with groups of friends - or just as a couple. Try it. It's jolly good fun.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“quite a let-down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We went to this restaurant expecting to eat fantastic food, because of the incredible amount of excellent reviews on trip advisor. But I have to say that we found the food very underwhelming and overall it fell well below our expectations.

I have to say that I really liked the place itself . The lady that owns the place is a lovely woman who is very calm and composed and clearly has everything well under control.

However in my opinion, the food was not good at all, it was completely tasteless and the meat was also very tough.

In fact, I just wouldn’t recommend the place to friends and I wouldn’t go back myself.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Awesome food!! Deserves 5 stars any day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

First, whoever writes negative comments about Kokeb is either:
a. competitor (lots of restaurants on Caledonian road), or
b. not able to appreciate good food.

So if you are appreciate good food with Ethiopian twist then this is your place to go!

Compared to other Ethiopian restaurants I have eaten in London, this is the best! I have been a regular customer for years and taken all my friends to eat here and they have returned with their friends often without me - how rude :)

Her injura "pancakes" are not like others, they are not yeasty and sour so you won't be fed up with them after having one. My personal favorites are red lentils, chicken dish (doro wot), crumbly cheese and tender fish pieces. These 4 are often more than enough for two people to share and you won't spend a fortune. Beer and wine is affordable too. If you wish to have authentic Ethiopian coffee then she will happily perform a coffee ceremony Ethiopian way.

I understand that the owner works hard and if you book in advance she will have extra help on the night, but this means booking in advance (day or two) and not on the day. She cooks, serves, entertains guests and cleans. To me she is a super hero with a lovely restaurant.

After we discovered her little place on Roman Way, I have not eaten Ethiopian food anywhere else - I now know the difference!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful host and awesome food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been coming to Kokeb for years now, the food is absolutely fantastic. I must admit a guilty pleasure of mine is the Injera, with lamb cooked in butter and chillies. It is run by a lovely host, who is a pleasure and delight to meet every time I am there.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“terrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We ordered a vegetarian dish, and a lamb dish. The vegetarian dish was tiny ...quite bland and unexciting. The lamb dish was totally inedible and even though we left half of it in the plate, we still had a stomach ache afterwards.
We were very disappointed as we had read good reviews about the place.
There are certainly better Ethiopian restaurants in London.

• Visited August 2013