“Interesting food, friendly welcome, good value for money” 5 of 5 stars

020 7609 9832
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #783 of 17,734 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Deal, United Kingdom
“Interesting food, friendly welcome, good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This small restaurant, tucked away behind Pentonville Prison, is definitely worth seeking out. For me it was a first (but I hope not last) taste of Ethiopian cuisine, and I found it extremely enjoyable - for £16 pounds ahead we had enough food to keep us very nicely full, with an Ethiopian beer to drink.

Served communally, and eaten by tearing the unleavened bred into little 'parcels' one fill with meat or vegetables (these were particularly nice), eating is an enjoyable and eating experience.

Kokeb is a small restaurant (6 tables, I think), and clearly the lovely and welcoming owner has a lot to do to serve and (I think) cook as well - so this isn't the place to go for fast food. But if you want to try something different in north London, I can't recommend it highly enough.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fakenham, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Yummo! Very accomodating for my friend to practice his language skills. Order what she tells you to and it will be worth it.

California
“Like being invited to an exotic dinner at your posh relative's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

There are several choices in London for Ethiopian, and I've just had the best. The food is excellent; you can taste the care, subtlety, effort and quality whatever you order. I had the vegetarian combination and couldn't decide which dish I liked better. The dining space is very well-lit, nicely decorated and comfortable. Above all, the service is wonderful; a very hospitable if not familial atmosphere. I cannot recommend Kokeb enough!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shropshire
“So delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I visited with a group of colleagues after reading the excellent reviews on here. None of us having eaten Ethiopian food before, we were a bit unsure what to order so decided on the Kokeb House Special priced at £14 each. We were served a delicious selection of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes accompanied by injera (Ethiopian flatbread). It was also good to sample Ethiopian lager and bitter and everything is very reasonably priced. I would probably go every night if I was a local! Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

It was my first time in an Ethiopian restaurant and it was a nice experience. We shared a couple of dishes eating them by hands. Good portion in relation to the price. Nice lamb, poor desserts. We were served by a nice lady which cheered us with her manners.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere