“The Best Afternoon Tea I Have Ever Had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Foyer At Claridge's

The Foyer At Claridge's
Brook Street | Mayfair, London W1K4HR, England (Mayfair)
+44 (0)20 7107 8886
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Foyer At Claridge's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it’s the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.Executive Chef Martyn Nail’s modern British menu is fresh, seasonal, extensive and yet refreshingly simple, using locally sourced seasonal produce.
Manchester, UK
“The Best Afternoon Tea I Have Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Brought my wife here for her birthday and went for the champagne afternoon tea.

Wow, what a great experience.

The staff are just fantastic, incredibly polished but not at all stuffy and just really friendly and engaging. The location is beautiful.

The sandwiches were probably the best I have ever had and when offered seconds I have to admit we did succumb and had to go with some more of the poached and smoked salmon - sublime.

Scones were spot on and the cakes were stunning.

I have to admit that we couldn't finish everything, especially as we got a further cake for my wife's birthday. The doggy bag (well box) was very gratefully received.

Expensive but good value and one of the best treats you could have in London in my opinion.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
EugeneLeonard, Food & Beverage Director at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear "GCall",

Wow, we could not ask for a better review, thank you most sincerely.

Food & Beverage Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea ,on floor six.disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After watching the bbc show on claridges last year, I was wanting to visit,the nearest thing I could afford was afternoon tea.so I found a coach trip that done a package, trip to London and afternoon tea at claridges. Wish I hadn't of bothered.
We were rushed upstairs to floor six when we arrived at claridges, not much change to take out surrounds in.
Then shut away in a room, while a disorganised afternoon tea was served. I cannot fault the food, it was lovely.the service was somewhat muddled,had to keep asking staff to refill sandwiches.on. A large table of ten, one cake stand of finger sandwiches doesn't go far.wasn't the service me and my mother expected, or the rest of the coach party.we felt like an inconvenience, shut away on floor six out of the way.got told off for taking a photo as well,
Didn't enjoy the special treat at all,thought we would be sat in the tea rooms,

London, United Kingdom
“Good but not brilliant for evening meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went for an early evening dinner in the Foyer restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday, the service was excellent but was slightly let down by the food,which whilst good quality didn't seem particularly creative.Compared to other restaurants in the top-10 on tripadvisor, it just didn't seem to have the quality, although in fairness the prices are also lower.

I guess it may suffer from not being a full time restaurant, there were still people having afternoon tea at 8pm, so the entire area felt a little like a bus-stop. I can't fault the staff who were excellent, attentive and pleasant.

Not quite sure how to rate it on value, at £40 for a menu-du-jour and an average £60 a la carte plus wine, it's significantly cheaper than a Petrus or Gavroche, but I also feel if you're going to spend £60 on a meal, you might as well spend £80 and go somewhere a bit better.

Overall an enjoyable experience but I wouldn't rush to go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear "UKMH",

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of dinner at Claridge's Foyer and Reading Room. I am so sorry to read that it was not as good as you had been expecting, it is never nice to read of a guest's disappointment.

If you would like to discuss this in a private forum please may I ask you to contact me on eleonard@claridges.co.uk.

Kind regards,

London
“Great Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had afternoon tea booked at Claridges and we were really expecting something special. We were not disappointed. The service was great as was the food. The Claridges blend of tea was by far the best tea I have ever had. Without being obtrusive we were constantly asked (and given) if we wanted top ups of our food and tea. We will definitely return.

• Visited June 2013
Dear "99Londoner",

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of Afternoon Tea at Claridge's. Afternoon tea is a real passion of ours and it is always encouraging to read a review such as yours.

Cotswolds
“A haven of calm in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I'm not surprised that one has to book so far in advance for afternoon tea at Claridge's. We went on a Tuesday afternoon but had still had to book three months in advance. From the moment we arrived, it was like stepping back into a different era. The art deco foyer is a sight to behold and we felt like we were in that era. The staff were outstandingly professional and made our visit a pleasure. Nothing was hurried and nothing was too much trouble. I'm amazed that afternoon tea took nearly two hours but not once did we feel like we were waiting for anything. The range of sandwiches was really good. I'm not particularly fond of clotted cream with the scones and marco polo jelly but the rest of my party was. We visited on a very hot day (so hot that the dress code was relaxed) so didn't manage to make much of a dent in the selection of cakes and pastries - which looked amazing. Our waitress offered (and we accepted) to put them in a cake box for us to take home - a nice touch and one which a lot of other people were following that day.

I admit that at £45 a head this was not cheap but as a one off experience for a special treat, very well worth it. This sort of service and ambience really takes you back to a bygone time. It's lovely to step into it even if only for a couple of hours.

• Visited July 2013
Dear "TheLaners",

Thank you for a wonderful Afternoon Tea review. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.