“great for fish and pudding” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sea Shell Of Lisson Grove

The Sea Shell Of Lisson Grove
Lisson Grove | Marlyebone, London NW1 6UH, England (Marylebone)
+44 (0) 2072249000
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sea Shell Of Lisson Grove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,602 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Fish & Chips
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Families with children, Doing business, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: For over 40 years The Seashell of Lisson Grove has been serving best traditional British fish and chips and has gained a great reputation with everyone from fans of good food to famous celebrities. As the venue consists of two parts, a newly refurbished restaurant and a take away, The Seashell is perfect place for a business lunch, dinner with friends and family, or a quick bite on the go.Through its commitment to fresh and conscientiously sourced products, our restaurant seeks to ensure that your meal is as environmentally-friendly as it is enjoyable. As we are striving to support local businesses, we are proud of using finest locally grown or sourced ingredients and products such as potatoes from local farms for our chips or cider made from 100% British apples. For us its all about keeping it fresh, delicious and local.Therefore, whether you want to grab a quick bite of top quality traditional fish and chips in a take away or indulge yourself with a delicious dinner in the restaurant, The Seashell of Lisson Grove is the place to go.
Acton, Massachusetts
“great for fish and pudding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went twice on a recent visit to london. Particularly like that they will fry in matzo meal which is really good for a crispy outside. Good selection of fish. Also had the grilled dover sole which yes was quite expensive but really good. Their desserts are a throw back - treacle tart and spotted dick with cream was rather scrumptious.

i did try someone elses chips and was not hugely impressed but that is good as I don't really want to eat those anyway.

Service was both friendly and efficient. The fish was very fresh and in huge portions. Had a great time on both occasions.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Kansas City
“Not a Fan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

With all due respect to Samantha Brown, I didn't care for this place. I saw her profile the restaurant on the Travel Channel and it looked great. But my fried cod was soggy, and the chips had been sitting out awhile. Plus, the fish was fried with the skin on. That's something I'm not used to. Although I can respect a different way of doing things, it was just another reason why I couldn't finish my lunch. There are better fish and chips to be found in London.

New York City, New York
“Great British Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was 3 minutes walk from the apartment we stayed in so we actually bought take out and ate at "home"

Visited January 2013
Belvedere, Kent
“Reasonable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We chose this place as the result of a recommendation in a Waitrose publication and were looking for somewhere within a reasonable reach of the West End for a post theatre meal. Lisson Grove is five stops on the Tube and a twenty minute bus ride from Charing Cross. It's just about worth the trip.
The room is bright with some interesting artwork and has fish tanks at one end -- not that the residents are on the menu. Tables are a little close together for my liking. At 7pm the place was packed, so booking is advised.
We shared a starter of deep fried calamari with chilli sauce. The strips were somewhat flaccid and not that interesting.
So, we had come here for the fish and chips so the acid test was what of the cod and chips ? - the chippy staple dish. The fish was a large portion in thin batter which was quite crisp and not "puddingy". So far so good. The chips were ordinary and clearly not hand cut and could have been crisper on the outside. Her plaice was large enough to prove too much. Proclaimed "very good".
I'm Popeye when it comes to spinach - love it. The menu described it as "creamed" but it arrived as small whole leaves with a light white dressing. It should be finely chopped or even blitzed in a blender. I sent it back but it returned just the same. Either the chef doesn't know what he's doing or the waiter didn't understand what I said. Mind you, with only Eastern Europeans on the staff, what do you expect?
My good lady only drinks Merlot. The cheapest was unexceptional and at 17.95, overpriced. I fancied a piint of bitter while perusing the menu but John Smith's Smoothflow? ( the only choice) yukk. Come on Seashell this is London so support your local breweries such as Fullers or Courage who brew decent stuff. I saw someone who had brought four obvious foreigners for their first fish and chips and beer - and they had to suffer such a rubbish brew!
No service charge here - hooray. But the prices are a little high to make up for it - boo! £18 plus for rock salmon and skate and £25.50 for halibut is taking the mickey. It seems the lack of service charge is made up for in the menu prices.
We went on a Saturday when the place was packed. Don' know if these are regulars or first timers. I'm not sure that I would return but I know that my wife would - I always do what he good lady says, so no doubt we will return.
57.40 for one starter, two mains and a bottle of wine? At least ten per cent too much methinks. If you are in the area give it a try. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother ( if on my own.)

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Really poor service and vile chips”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

If you want to try real fish and chips don't eat here - seriously.

Years ago this used to be a good fish and chip shop. It absolutely isn't now.

We called in this afternoon for a quick bag of chips. Slightly surprised at how expensive it was but thought hey it's London and its supposed to be really good.

Was handed a polystyrene open carton with some old, tepid, dried out chips on it. We asked for it to be wrapped so we could take it away without spilling and the server handed us a tiny sheet of paper so we could try and do it ourselves.

I tasted a chip and it was revolting - old cold and stale. I said that we didn't want it because it tasted awful and the woman was completely unsurprised. She begrudgingly gave us our money back. A horrible experience and a horrible place. Don't go if you like fish and chips

Visited February 2013