“The best afternoon tea in London!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #245 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Set in the heart of Mayfair on Park Lane, The Dorchester has been a symbol of luxury and charm for more than half a century. The Promenade is the sumptuous setting for the hotel's legendary afternoon teas, offering sandwiches, scones and pastries alongside a selection of 25 different types of tea. The truly decadent can also opt for champagne while reclining on the high-backed divans, or hide away in one of the intimate alcoves for an informal lunch or a light supper.
Sao Paulo, SP
“The best afternoon tea in London!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

One is treated like a lord; literally! Delicious sandwiches, pastries and a very large selection of teas, all very well explained and served by the well trained staff.

Visited June 2014
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear ricardo w, I am delighted to read your complimentary comments on your afternoon tea in The Promenade, on top of your review of your stay in The Dorchester. I am thrilled that you took some wonderful memories away with you and we verymuch look forwad to your next visit! Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Sumptuous Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Celebrating a friend's 50th birthday what a gorgeous place there two weddings that afternoon which made it all the more special. arrived a little early so we were shown to the bar for a drink, plenty of choices if beverages service was perfect topping us up on the nibbles they provided. After being shown to our table had two male waiters to look after us.. We had champagne, sandwiches were fresh and full of flavour we could have as many as we wanted. The scones were delicious with plenty of cream and jam again we could have had more, the cakes were Rich and fresh the tea delicious. It was such a lovely and relaxing afternoon the floral displays were amazing
Overall a fantastic experience

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“good - but not as good as before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have previously been here for afternoon tea with friends, and decided to treat my mum. We trained it to London just for the afternoon tea - then went back home again. To Chesterfield. So - I was expecting great things again.
I was disappointed this time.
The seating and ambience were amazing, though we couldn't see or hear the piano player this time - I was surprised when I actually saw he was there this time.
The waiter was good, though not really that attentive. We had to ask for things as he passed each time.
The sandwiches were excellent again, and the highlight of the meal. The scones - well - have they changed the chef? Does this chef know that scones with fruit in means exactly that? That there should be some fruit in them? Maybe more than one piece? They were also a little dry. The clotted cream - it wasn't clotted cream - it was fresh whipped cream. Jams were great.
The petit fours - bland and quite uninspiring. A disappointment.
All-in-all, both my mum and I were disappointed with the whole experience. I had so looked forward to treating her to the excellent afternoon tea that my friends and I had experienced, but on the basis of this time round - I wouldn't go again.
So - one excellent, one quite poor................I may try again, I may not.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Gunny001, Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know about your experience at The Dorchester. I am sorry to see that your experience did not live up to your expectations on this occasion and I do appreciate that you shared your feedback with us. We would like to discuss your disappointment further with you if you could kindly contact our Hotel Manager, John Scanlon, directly at the hotel. I do however hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
London, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I was lucky enough to be treated to 'Afternoon Tea' at The Dorchester for my 50th birthday. What a joy! Everything was as described in other reviews however so much better in reality. The flowers are sensational and smell wonderful as you enter. The champagne and sandwiches are delicious. The cakes and pastries are exquisite. The surroundings are sumptuous and elegant. It is a memory I shall always treasure. Thank you for making it such a lovely occasion!

Las Vegas, Nevada
“For dinner, you can do better just a few steps away.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

OK let me get the gripe out of the way first. If there are 4 of you it's really not very comfortable. The tables have a couch on one side and upright chairs on the other. The couch is just not very comfortable for eating a "true" meal ie not tea.

I ate rack of lamb as a main dinner course and it was top quality and cooked just right. The service was attentive and the cadre is excellent. However I could have eaten in Ducasse just steps away for the same money - and Ducasse is a 3 star.

I'd advise sticking to tea in the Promenade - I mean the meal not the drink.

I also ate breakfast here several times and the service was not always so good. One morning the waiter managed to get all 4 orders completely wrong. It was so bad it was genuinely funny.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear BillyBoyK,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food offerings and service provided during your dinner at The Promenade, but very sorry to hear about your breakfast experience and do apologise for any inconvenience this shortfall might have caused. Your feedback is most appreciated and will be shared with the rest of the team here at the hotel, in order to ensure we constantly meet our high service standards. I truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection