“Wonderful afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #236 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Set in the heart of Mayfair on Park Lane, The Dorchester has been a symbol of luxury and charm for more than half a century. The Promenade is the sumptuous setting for the hotel's legendary afternoon teas, offering sandwiches, scones and pastries alongside a selection of 25 different types of tea. The truly decadent can also opt for champagne while reclining on the high-backed divans, or hide away in one of the intimate alcoves for an informal lunch or a light supper.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I booked the afternoon tea at The Dorchester as part of a birthday celebration for one of my friends. Three of us went.
I could cut the waffle down and say - 'wonderful, wonderful, wonderful'...........but............I just have to say more.
Fabulous service, fabulous ambience, fabulous food, fabulous piano player......really can't describe any better than that - but will try.
Immediately on arrival very welcoming and helpful. Pointed us towards the bar as we were early. Bar is amazing too, but need to move on to the afternoon tea.....
We sat near the piano player, who welcomed us to 'his' section with a warm smile and nod.
Our server was attentive, helpful, friendly. A pleasure to be served by her.
The food was simply divine - finger sandwiches - and she kept coming back to give us more - but we wanted the scones and clotted cream and jam.....lovely. Followed by beautiful little cakes and tarts - divine. Sorry - I've run out of words to describe so am using the same ones.
Atmosphere wonderful, especially with piano in the background, who even played my friend's favourite song for her.
I would definitely go back there again, not necessarily as a special treat, just to experience it all again.
Lovely.
A special mention to the gentleman who was the co-ordinator of the area. I would call him the maitre'd, but our server said he was the co-ordinator. Great guy, helpful, nothing too much trouble.
Definitely a 'pick you up' for any occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bethesda, MD
“Champagne Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had an awesome afternoon tea at the Dorchester in the Promenade. The service was top notch (think Downton Abbey style), the timing, the food, the tea, the champagne... everything was perfect. Our waiter even wrapped up extra sandwiches for us to take with us to go! Definitely show up hungry, even though it's only finger sandwiches and scones, by dessert you are wondering where your elastic waistband is!!! It's right across from Hyde Park, so perfect for walking it all off. Also, we had a drink in the bar off of the promenade before tea which was also amazing. Gorgeous decor everywhere, including amazing fresh flowers. I highly recommend the splurge for this experience!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear marian60,
Thank you for taking the time out to leave a review of your most recent visit to The Dorchester for afternoon tea in The Promenade. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the food, the service and the atmosphere and that you were also able to enjoy a drink in The Bar beforehand. I will share your comments with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Milano
“AFTERNOON TEA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Invitation for my birthday with my husband and daughter, on March 14th 2014, for afternoon tea at the Dorchester. Beautiful experience, beautiful surroundings and flower arrangements all around you. Chic and quiet atmosphere not at all ostentatious.
Very attentive staff, charming but discreet at the same time. Lovely baby pastries, cucumber, salmon and tuna baby sandwiches, and warm scones with cream and wonderful jams. We were offered a second round of everything.
Wide choice of teas and a delicious glass of Laurent Perrier Champagne as drinks.
I would not mind trying lunch next time around.

London, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

A lovely surprise treat from my husband! Beautiful setting on the balcony, attentive staff that weren't intimidating but very friendly. Delicious tea & plenty of it. A fabulous surprise & well worth the money!

London
“awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have been with some friends at the dorchester hotel for afternoon tea, and i was so exciting for this experience, which unfortunately was horrible. Maybe we was a wrong table but everything was bad, to start from the waiter who asked us to open the napkins by our self ( even if we pay for the service, but i don't know which service) to finish with my birthday cake. I was gluten free and i received i non gluten free cake, and the waiter told me " i am sorry but i can't have the cake, is not gluten free".... Are you joking.??? Well experience which i paid so much.... I won't definitly go there again.