“Classy” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #140 of 16,877 restaurants in London
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Set in the heart of Mayfair on Park Lane, The Dorchester has been a symbol of luxury and charm for more than half a century. The Promenade is the sumptuous setting for the hotel's legendary afternoon teas, offering sandwiches, scones and pastries alongside a selection of 25 different types of tea. The truly decadent can also opt for champagne while reclining on the high-backed divans, or hide away in one of the intimate alcoves for an informal lunch or a light supper.
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Classy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My daughters took me here to celebrate my birthday.Wow is al I can say,the service was second to none. We were made to feel very welcome and it didn't feel stuck up or pretentious just very classy.
We started off with a glass of Laurent Perrier Champange, then on to the sanwiches and tea of choice, more sanwiches followed by plain and fruited warm scones with strawberry jam rhubarb jam and clotted cream , then more of the same lol , cakes to follow (the maccaroons are to die for) to top it off a birthday cake for me. Two boxes of cakes to take home. Thak you to our waiter Oliver and the Dorchester.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
thedorchester, Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear maggiemaggie56,
It a pleasure to read how much you and your daughters enjoyed your birthday celebration in The Promenade and I was delighted to read how much you liked our cakes, sandwiches and scones. I will share your comments with Oliver and the rest of the team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon again.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

86% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visited last weekend with my wife for her 30th birthday. It was a simply 1st class experience, with fantastic sandwiches, cakes and tea. They also brought out a cake for my wifes birthday as I told them we were celebrating at booking stage. This was the 1st afternoon tea we have experienced and if we were to go again would visit here in an instant.

Visited September 2012
Dear philc81,
I am delighted to read that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your wife’s 30th birthday and to read how much you both enjoyed the sandwiches, cakes and tea in The Promenade. It will be my pleasure to share with the team, your review and I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.
cambridge
“The best tea in London!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been for afternoon tea at many of the best places in the London, The Ritz, Claridges, Capital Hotel, The Bekerly.... And yet i have returned 4 times and going again this Christmas to The Dorchester as it tops my list. First i have to say the service is the most friendly i have ever had. Im not made to feel looked down on and everyone is very chatty and helpful.
I love the tea menu it has the classics and then some special rare ones followed by a great sandwich choice. The chicken is my favourite and they will keep serving you until your very full!!!
The cakes are so pretty and if your too full from over eating on the sandwiches they will box your cakes up for you :-) a great treat at home.
They have live music and at christmas its so festive its a fabulous treat to get you in the mood.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
thedorchester, Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear ktyjenkins,
It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester and I was delighted to read that you will be returning for our Festive Tea again this year. I will share your kind feedback with the team in The Promenade and I look forward to welcoming you in December.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Amazing Tea!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Loved it! We went for our anniversary, the place is beautiful ith lots of freshly cut flowers, the staff so friendly and smiling :) we started with lovely sandwiches on different types of bread, I had said when booking that I didn't eat ham/ red meat so they made me cheese and chutney as an alternative to the ham. The waiter kept offering more sandwiches, then we had amazing melt in the mouth scones with jam and clotted cream, so yummy! Then a lovely coffee mousse thingy, then a lovely assortment of fancy cakes. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and a lovely touch was they brought out a cake with 'happy anniversary' iced on it at no extra charge! A wonderful experience and better than Claridges and 100% better than Fortnum and Mason (which was dreadful! ) book to go here you will not be disappointed!

• Visited September 2012
Dear Helen503775,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent experience with us here at The Promenade. I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary and appreciate your acknowledgment of the efforts of all of our staff. Thank you for recommending us and I hope to see you soon again.

Kind Regards,
John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Romford, United Kingdom
“Average tea party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Went to the dorchester for tea with 5 friends yesterday for a catch up.

Overall was a great afternoon but was not overwhelmed by the experience, tea, sandwiches, scones and pastries were average and would not say that they were of great quality to rush back for more!

My friends were offered a choice of tea most had english or earl grey. One comment was it was quite weak others said was ok but not amazing. If we were topping up our cups of tea the tea servers would come to the rescue to pour for us you are not expected to pour your own tea which us commoners dont mind doing!! Was constantly interrupting are gossip catch up therefore! As i am not a tea drinker orange juice was offered instead which was 100% fresh!

With our tea selection of sandwiches was offered cucumber, egg, chicken, salmon and other vegetarian option. We then had a miniature dark chocolate coffee cup with coffee mousse which was nice, then a selection of small pastries and scones were offered and a miniature ice cream which was also nice.

Then out of nowhere the bill arrived and seemed it was time for us to move on!

The server offered for us to take left over pastries home with us.

For £40 each i would recommend it not too bad for an afternoon but i would not be in a rush to go back next week.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere