“Afternoon Tea at The Ritz” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tea at the Ritz

Tea at the Ritz
150 Piccadilly | The Ritz Hotel London, London W1J 9BR, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 (0) 20 7493 8181
Improve this listing
Ranked #367 of 16,877 restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Description: A British institution in itself, Tea at The Ritz is proud to be a member of the Tea Council's prestigious Tea Guild. Served in the spectacular Palm Court, a choice of several varieties of tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream and a range of delicate pastries, combine to make for an unforgettable afternoon. The luxurious and graceful setting of The Ritz Palm Court is legendary and this is most certainly an opportunity that must be experienced, whether you are visiting London or already live there. The Ritz London has a formal dress code in its public areas. Gentlemen are respectfully requested to wear a jacket and tie, and jeans and trainers are not permitted for ladies or gentlemen.
London, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea at The Ritz”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The musicians were wonderful. They played delightful music, which rather made me think of Titanic as the ship was about to sink. Nontheless, it was very beautiful. It had to be because there was no where for us to wait while they got the tables ready. People who had dressed up for the occasion had to mill around the lobby like lost sheep whilst the waiters relayed the tables from the last sitting. It felt like we were on a conveyor belt. When the tables were ready we were ushered to our seat and given a choice of tea. That was nice. Then the sandwiches came. I ask you, £45 a head to eat a plate of sandwiches, which if you are vegetarian leave alot to be desired. You would think they could be more inventive than slabs of cheddar in one, and egg mayo in the other. It felt like we had paid £45 to have a plate of Tesco value sandwiches cut up for us. The Ritz is trading off its name and charging extortionate rates for it.

Not worth it. If you have to have afternoon tea in London, The Savoy or The Wolseley are much better.

78% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grimsby
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Afternoon tea at the ritz was brilliant. Beautiful surroundings in the palm court restaurant. Service was impeccable but not stuffy or over bearing. Location beautiful and the sandwiches, scones, cakes, tea and Champagne lovely. Huge amount to eat, we were very full when we left, pretty much as much as you can eat and drink! For £57 each with champagne it's not cheap but given the quality of the food, service, beautiful venue and overall ambiance I don't think it is bad value! Will definitely do it again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Tea at the Ritz was a birthday gift from one of my sons and it was amazing.From the moment we stepped from th cab the staff were exactly as you would expect from an hotel of this class. Perfectly attentive. We had booked an early tea but had time to spare so waited in the bar and enjoyed a fruit cocktail in this most beautiful hotel, I have happy memories of the Ritz as a young girl and it is as perfect now as it was all those years ago. We went into tea along with everyone else ,it was full but the tables were far enough apart for privacy. The waiters were friendly and courteous and very efficient,your every need was anticipated. The choice of teas were varied and the food was good athough the sandwiches only average,the scones were to die for,I don't think I have ever had scones quite as good as these,the cakes were small but delightful, and after all this a desert trolley came round. It was a wonderfully relaxed meal where the beauty of the surroundings and the attentive staff made t truly memorable afternoon.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berkshire
“Has the Ritz lost it's charm and glory...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having had tea here 3 times over the last 8 years I feel compelled to write this review.
The first couple of times the Ritz did not disappoint and seemed good value for money for such a unique experience. The service impeccable, the food exquisite, attention to detail and exacting standards that one cannot fault.

I came here for a friend's birthday earlier in the year and my, how the experience has changed, sadly not for the better. Do not be mistaken, the service and staff remain a great asset to the hotel. They are more than obliging to take the obligatory photos, you still get 2 servings of everything, the service efficient, if anything too efficient as they seem too keen to remove your plates before you have finished so you felt rushed. Perhaps this is because they now have 5 sittings each day so are running on such a tight time schedule.

The single factor that upset me the most was the birthday cake which I ordered was incorrect. We decided to take the cake home as we were too full to enjoy it, however, when we cut the cake it transpired it wasn't what I had ordered. I emailed the manager whose PA responded with a vague apology stating that we still enjoyed our experience despite the mistake and didn't even offer a refund which I insisted upon as the Ritz had admitted it was their mistake that the kitchen had made the error. Not what you expect from such an establishment surely.

Perhaps the Ritz has become somewhat complacent as they know they have their heritage to rely on for continued business.

Time to move elsewhere for afternoon tea I think, the Athenaeum across the road is excellent at almost half the price and won the Tea Guild Award in 2012 or try The Goring which is on par with the Ritz pricewise but far superior and has won the Tea Guild this year.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Almost there...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We took my mum here for her 80th birthday - it was the 7:30pm sitting. At the time of booking we asked if we could have a veggie choice of sandwiches on the table and they email back saying they would 'do their best'. However, when we got there, our experience mirrored another reviewer's who said that the sandwiches are replenished as a block with a predetermined selection of fillings. No attention was paid to the fact that all the meat sandwiches had been left on our cake stand. When we asked for more cheese sandwiches we were given three more 'fingers' between three of us. We had scones left over but the fancy cakes we were assigned were not replenished once they were gone. Not sure if that is silver service in my books! I think next time we shall go elsewhere as there a few other places that do a similar thing.

Good points: The concierge was attentive to my elderly mother and helped her up the steps. Ecellent cloakroom service and super restrooms, although there is still a queue for the ladies. The lady pianist was a boon to them - when I said it was my mother's birthday, she played a song specially dedicated to her. How lovely!

• Visited June 2013