“Outstanding - The Perfect Way to Enjoy High Tea in Elegance” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #424 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Description: A British institution in itself, Tea at The Ritz is proud to be a member of the Tea Council's prestigious Tea Guild. Served in the spectacular Palm Court, a choice of several varieties of tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream and a range of delicate pastries, combine to make for an unforgettable afternoon. The luxurious and graceful setting of The Ritz Palm Court is legendary and this is most certainly an opportunity that must be experienced, whether you are visiting London or already live there. The Ritz London has a formal dress code in its public areas. Gentlemen are respectfully requested to wear a jacket and tie, and jeans and trainers are not permitted for ladies or gentlemen.
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Outstanding - The Perfect Way to Enjoy High Tea in Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

What can I say about today? Well, I have been terribly spoiled by my lovely husband to an unexpected Valentines treat. The last few valentines have been rather low key as we do wonderful things throughout the year, but we still mark the occasion. I have always enjoyed cream teas and over the last couple of years, we have enjoyed high tea in a few places - this time we went to The Ritz, which was unexpected and exciting.

Afternoon tea was held in the the Palm Rooms, which was unearthly beautiful and elegant. I felt so overwhelmed by the decor, mirrors, the scent of flowers and the sheer elegance of the place. As we sat at our pretty little table, we had an array of beautiful pale green, gold and white china in front of us such as tea cups and saucers, plates and pots containing clotted cream and preserves. We had a very elegant menu of loose leaf teas to select from - We selected Oolong and Darjeeling first blush teas - both were so lovely - no milk or sugar were required. They all turned up in silver tea pots, with silver milk jugs and water - it looked so lovely.
Then came the food, in beautiful 3 tiered serving plates - the bottom layer with an array of finger sandwiches, the middle section with freshly baked scones and the top section with an array of fine cakes. As my husband is a vegetarian, they bought along a separate plate of sandwiches for him.

The sandwiches were divine - definitely good quality ingredients, with the flavours being well balanced and some of the best I have tasted. My favourites were the Salmon and lemon butter and cucumber with cream cheese, chives and dill sandwiches. The scones were delicious and fresh and eating them were incredibly pleasurable - but I was beginning to feel very full. However, there was more to come, even though we politely declined another serving of cakes and sandwiches! The pastry cart came along which had a lovely vanilla yogurt with fresh and and tender rhubarb, which was exquisite - then a choice of lemon drizzle and coffee cake! I could not finish them all and could not take them with us, but the waiters were lovely and encouraged me to take my time and try a little of each thing. My husband said that the coffee cake was delicious - it had pecans in them. My lemon drizzle cake was also very delicious and then I worked my way through the cakes on the tray. Mark enjoyed a cream slice and a chocolate slice, whilst I enjoyed a chocolate slice as well, which was incredibly rich and sumptuous and a most interesting (and extremely delicious) macaroon. It had the raspberry macaroon base, with a little bit of berry coulis and white chocolate in the middle, and a lemon cream at the top - it was most refreshing.

The whole experience was perfect and exquisite. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and to be in such an elegant and wonderful atmosphere - not forgetting the beautiful piano playing in the background, which played a surprisingly good array of tunes from classics - such as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata to a song by Evanescence! The waiters were impeccably dressed and very polite and helpful and, of course, attentative. They replaced hot water for the tea and also bought us refills of tea for us and regularly asked if we needed any assistance.

Re: photo taking, as long as you are being discreet, it is fine. A waiter kindly took a photo of us. which was lovely.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Celebration Tea at the Ritz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

As part of our celebrations for my wife's 60th birthday, six of us, plus my 10 month old grandson, took the top notch tea at the Ritz. Things started well, with a smooth drive down to London, and, being Sunday, not only was there no congestion charge, but two cars were able to park easily just off Piccadilly for free. The dining experience did not disappoint either. Despite the formal surroundings, the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful, and the atmospere was welcoming. Our grandson felt quite at home in his high chair, and was ready to eat and engage the attentions of people sitting nearby. The champagne was excellent, and the sandwiches were generous in number, variety and the quantity of filling. There was a great range of teas, and I enjoyed my choice of Russian Caravan. Extra sandwiches and a soft drink alternative to tea were provided without question, but the omission of one pot of tea was not rectified as promised - there was no shortage of the beverage on the table, however!
The latter was an oversight, but if I had one slight disappointment, it was, much to my surprise, the scones, which I found "a little ordinary", with the fruit ones distinctly unfruity - I should add that my grandson would not agree, and wolfed down any that he was offered!
The celebration cake was wonderful: we opted for the mango and raspberry cream sponge, which was superb in every way. Brought to the table as the harpist played "happy birthday", the whole room applauded and the waiter cunningly congratulated my wife on her 50th! A good sign of the unstuffy atmosphere. Needless to say, it had to be boxed for us to take away, because we were too full to eat it then.
It had been an ambition of my wife to do this, and we were all glad to share this splendid occasion with her.

• Visited February 2013
Thornton Cleveleys
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our second recent visit and our excellent previous experience was repeated. Lovely sandwiches and cakes and plenty of them! Especially appreciated was the catering for one of our party - no butter, cheese mayo etc - they made some special excellent sandwiches. All washed down with a good house champagne by the glass. The service is very good and the atmosphere not at all 'stuffy' and the talented pianist playing requests is a nice touch - Born Free and the Theme from 'Out of Africa' were beutifully rendered. not cheap at £45pp not including wine but overall very good value and a lovely experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kent
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Ritz, a very special and magical place, even more so at Christmas. Afternoon tea was delicious, a variety of teas, fresh sandwiches, scones, cakes and a glass of champagne! The setting was beautiful and we had a fantastic time, would definitely return.

Visited December 2012
Londres
“Amazing afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I brought my Dad to the Ritz for the Afternoon Tea for his birthday almost a year ago and he still talks about it !
The food is amazing, the service is very good and the atmosphere almost surrealist !
When I booked online, I requested a nice table and told them it was for my Dad birthday. When we arrived, we had a nice table and ..., he even received a birthday cake ( in addition of all the quantity of food served ) , with the candles, and the happy birthday song to go with ! I was very surprised as I never mentioned a birthday cake in my reservation and I haven't been charged for this cake.
Go there for a special occasion, or a birthday !

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Tea at the Ritz? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Tea at the Ritz, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.