“Cosy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clink78 Hostel

You added Clink78 Hostel to your Saves list
Clink78 Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   78 Kings Cross Road, London WC1X 9QG, England (Clerkenwell)   |
Special Offer
One Night Free
Ranked #199 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Ive read some of the reviews on here and all i can say is, shut up and deal with it. You get what you pay for. I however very much enjoyed my stay here. Free wifi ( only worked in the computer room but whatever) free breaky, loved the beds! i felt more comfrtable and had more privacy with the little barriers inbetween the beds. Yes the rooms are small but deal with it. No ones there to relax and enjoy if you are go to a hotel not a hostel. This is a place to eat, sleep and shower. Its very central right near kings cross station which is perfect. I honestly cant fault it much. I guess the showers leaked onto the bathroom floor so i had to get dressed in the room and i had to try and hide behind my friend and a towel so the guys couldnt see me nudie. :P But it was funny. Also has a bar/mini nightclub inside. Bit annoying when you want to sleep but i had earplugs so didnt bother me :D I loved every bit of if and when i go back im definately going here. We went to another one that was dingey and scarey and just horrid but ya know i really like this one. ALSO the staff are really helpfull and really nice.

Room Tip: No matter what room you get you will need ear plugs. I had a mix sexed room which was great because...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Clink261_Hostel, Clink Team at Clink78 Hostel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Hello there,
Thank you for your feedback, we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at Clink.

We hope to see you again should you return to London :)

Clink Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I checked in pretty early, and there was a large crowd of students checking in when I arrived - but they were managed quickly and competently by the staff responsible for them and they had a dedicated member of staff purely for their group, so it didn't hold up anyone else.

I was booked into a 4 with no en suite, but the available facilities were nice and clean and the bed was very comfortable - and there were no funny looks from reception when I got back at silly o'clock after a gig. In fact, the bar was still going and while it was a little noisy, I was quite ready to drop off anyway.

The only fly in the ointment was the prats a few rooms down who started shouting etc at about 4am - I shouted at them to shut up and they quietened down a little, but I needn't have worried; security came and had *words* soon after and the noise abruptly ceased altogether. So security are very good!

And breakfast! Always good, and as per my review title, I'll go with Clink78 any day - the breakfast and the price I paid for my bed, which was brilliant!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hello there :)

Thank you for your kind and complete review, we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We’re sorry that the loud people disturbed you, but we’re glad you found security helpful!

We hope to see you again should you return to London.

Innisfil, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hostel was such a great place to stay. It was really cool how it was in an old courthouse. The decorations were neat, and the whole environment was great. me and my boyfriend got a private room where we had our own room and a sink. it was nice because we had a spot to change and stuff.

Great little stay before a tour that began there!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there :)

Thank you for your feedback, we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
We hope to see you again should you return to London.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Steeped in history, it was once a court and aspects of that have been kept in some of the public areas. What attracted me to staying were that it was close to where I was working and far cheaper than the choice of hotels for this area of London. Staying in hotels in London is now the norm for me as it allows you to make further savings together with the ability to cook for yourself again saving money. And of course the more social aspect to your stay, it can get very lonely and boring traveling for work on your own in a major city.

The only negative I experienced was from other guests, who showed no consideration to those sharing a room - entering loudly after 2am putting lights on etc. All things that were not the fault of the venue, though curtains or dimmer lights would have helped.

I stayed in the female dorm which was very clean with neighbouring toilets and shower rooms, which were also of a high standard of cleanliness.

The hostels kitchen facilities were excellent, a huge room with banks of cookers and fridges etc available for use, everything you could possibly need and extra.

The downstairs communal area (which includes the kitchen) was made up of tables and benches, pool table vending machines and a small bar. The bar was a pleasant bonus but as with most hotels the staff are international, so I found it very strange that I wasn't understood when ordering a rum and coke.

It is a walk to find the hostel from the nearest tube, and finding the right exit from the tube is a bit of a mission but once found it becomes straightforward. There are lots of local bus routes that go to all areas of the city and connecting areas the tube doesn't. Everything you could possibly need is locally available and the hostel staff are very good at giving directions or helping you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello there :)
Thank you so much for your kind review, we’re so glad you enjoyed your time with us here at Clink. We hope to see you again on your next trip to London!
See you soon,
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed there one night with a friend. Our room (5sqm) was 20 meters below ground level, no sunlight, next to common toilets, smelly, not cleaned well, one bed without sheets. The music from the hostel's bar was so loud that we couldnt sleep. Not worst hostel ever, bad definitely not a pleasureful experience!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all reviews from our guests. We’re sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us here at Clink. We have a 24 hour reception team who are here to accommodate everyone. Next time, if you wish to change rooms to somewhere quieter, please do not hesitate to ask.
See you soon,
Matera, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is my second visit to the Clink78, and I have to say it was better the first time. While the hostel is kept safe and in decent condition, this time it was dirtier: bathrooms weren't cleaned as much as last year, there was an awful smell in the shower room and cold water pressure wasn't that good. Also, those basins are very very small, I don't recall they were like that last year.

On the plus side, there's almost-free WiFi in the hostel common areas; just pay 3 £ as soon as you check in and you'll be online for the whole of your stay. WiFi reception could seriously get an upgrade, though. It was kind of slow and you could only get a decent reception in the bar area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Clink261_Hostel, Front Office Manager at Clink78 Hostel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hello there :)

Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the bathrooms, we have a 24 hour housekeeping team that works tirelessly to maintain the high qualities we have here at Clink. However we apologize you did not find them up to standard.

We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a woeful hostel. It was expensive, dirty, and actually smelt terrible in every room. It was overcrowded(100 people here or something)It was like someone had puked through the whole hostel. I only stayed here because I booked accommodation at the last minute and could no longer afford to stay in a hotel. The only people I would recommend this hostel to are 20 year olds going through the binge drinking stage of their lives.

The staff were a little rude too.

Room Tip: Higher floors a little quieter, but still stink.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi there :)

Thank you for your feedback, we're sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us here at Clink. We usually have a mix of young travelers and families who come to stay with us and we try to accommodate as best as possible. Please, next time you have issues such as these, please do not hesitate to come to reception to let us know :)

All the best,
Clink Team

Been to Clink78 Hostel? Share your experiences!