“Would stay here again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of YHA London Central

You added YHA London Central to your Saves list
YHA London Central
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   104-108 Bolsover Street, London W1W 5LP, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #46 of 662 Specialty Lodging in London
Adelaide, Australia
“Would stay here again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here for a week in a female dorm, and the hostel met all of my requirements. It is clean enough, and although the beds aren't super comfy, they're a lot better than other hostels. I met some lovely fellow travellers and everyone seemed to be considerate of others when coming and going early/late at night. The lockers were big, which was handy for storage. The bathrooms were quite small but clean. The kitchen area downstairs was great; the food was tasty and cheap and it was a great place to meet people, especially as I was travelling by myself! The location was good; only a short walk to the tube station and Oxford Street. I was travelling during the off-peak season so my stay was cheap. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed as a family of four for two nights, and at £122 per night for a shared room with ensuite, this was good value for London (especially central London), but I can't quite bring myself to call it cheap! It was clean and practical, and they had good amounts of storage, which was necessary because the room was so small that you frequently stood opposite someone waiting for them to edge themselves past so you could reach something behind them. It was very crowded in the room, with nowhere to sit but on the beds, but as we had long, busy days planned this didn't matter so much.

The kitchen downstairs was well equipped and a good size and clean, so this was another practical way to save money during the stay. As you would expect in a youth hostel, the other guests could be VERY noisy at times when our children (11 and 13 years) were trying to get to sleep. Several times I had to go to ask them to be quiet, and they were apologetic and polite, but soon noisy again.

The shower was annoying - hot water and high pressure was great, but the showerhead was fixed into a position so that the strong jet of water came out at head height and hit the opposite wall. It was like being assaulted in the face/back of head with a jet hose and there was no way you could shower and breathe easily at the same time! A shame, because it was otherwise a good set up. It was slightly irritating for me that Wifi, though free for me as a member, was not available in the rooms. Once the kids were asleep I couldn't turn the light on to read (the light by my bed was broken), and I couldn't use anything with a screen as I had no reception. So I was forced to have a 9:30pm bedtime as well!

The beds were comfortable (although the pillows are really too thin), the staff were friendly and all the basic facilities were there. I would use this again because it's cheaper than a hotel and an excellent location, and it was a really useful base for exploring London for a few days. But it has disadvantages that I would avoid if I could afford it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
As, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I am in love with this Hostel! Stayed there twice now (which is how many times I've been to London) in the last year or so, and I love it! The rooms are clean and exactly what you want in a youth hostel. They're not insanely nice, the beds aren't big and cozy with a bunch of pillow, but I can't imagine that anyone would expect that? They are clean and spacious, perfect for sleeping and talking with your friends before you go to sleep.

The location couldn't be better; Five minute walk to Oxford street, 1 min walk to a bus station that takes you around town, supermarket right around the corner and restaurants near by.

The staff is probably the best this about this hostel. They are extremely kind, funny and relaxed, so the atmosphere is great. In the lobby you can by a quick breakfast, some snacks and drinks. But most of all, the staff is more than happy to help you with your every need. We wanted to see a musical, so they told us where to buy the cheapest tickets, gave us tips and drew on maps for us. When I needed a doctor, they gave my friends locations, names and told us where to go for waiting time. The hostel also offers pub crawls, city walks etc.

So basically, as I have said before; I love this place. Not one complaint. If you are going to London on a budget and/or have no need for luxury, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was the first hostel I've stayed in, and I was dreading the hostel experience but YHA London Central was very pleasant. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm with a shared shower and toilet (2 separate rooms). I was there for 11 nights and most of the people that came through in that time were considerate of others; keeping the lights off, whispering and moving about quietly etc. The 24 hour reception was great and the people working there were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a bit expensive and boring (I don't drink tea or coffee and all that's offered food-wise is a croissant and cereals), but the pizza was delicious. There are plenty of cafes/restaurants/shops around for alternative meals though. The location is great, walking one way down the street leads you straight into Oxford Circus in 10 minutes, the other way takes you to the Great Portland tube station. The wifi was a pain though. It was quite expensive and only worked on floors 0 and -1. Whilst the cleaners were constantly cleaning and the beds were cleaned and made every day they weren't changed if someone was sleeping in them. This meant my bed didn't get cleaned or changed for 11 nights, which was a bit annoying. Other than a couple complaints, this was a great friendly, quiet (yet social), clean hostel in a great location and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

London Central YHA is undoubtedly the best Youth hostel I have stayed. By the way I have been YHA member from last 4 years. The 24 hours cafe and bar is best add-on with your stay. It has one of the cheapest and good value hostel in London. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. If you are lucky you can do the booking for various events in London across the counter. Breakfast was average, because of very few options available. But on the other hand it has very good kitchen which can be used by the patrons.

Room Tip: If staying in Dorm, try to get a well ventilated room. You can do good savings if you book online in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Excellent, safe and quiet location. Down the road from Great Portland Street tube station and a short walk from London Euston. Friendly and helpful staff. Great value for money. Good clean room a private bathroom. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Was told to stay at this place by a girl i was rooming with at a different hotel. And im glad she did. Everything is in good condition, and CLEAN. The kitchen and laundry were great, as well as the beauty room with a hair dryer and straightener. If your a memeber or sign up to be one you get free wifi, which is very handy. And just a short walk to Oxford st and the Tube.

Been to YHA London Central? Share your experiences!