“Memorable for the wrong reasons” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Roux at The Landau

Roux at The Landau
1C Portland Place, London W1B 1JA, England (Marylebone)
+44 (0) 20 7965 0165
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roux at The Landau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Transit: Underground: Oxford Circus
Description: Father and son Albert and Michel Roux Jr are working together for the first time in 19 years. This new partnership brings Roux’s legendary culinary expertise and creativity to the newly re-named Roux at The Landau, their second West End address. Roux protégé Chris King has been chosen as Chef de Cuisine, with menus reflecting the Roux trademark style of classically-constructed French dishes, blended with today’s tastes for lighter choices.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Memorable for the wrong reasons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Roux at the Landau restaurant with my wife and son after booking a lunch offer via top table, which included a glass of sparkling wine.
The meal was fine without being exceptional but the experience was marred by the erratic service. The first course was good and then my second course arrived but nothing for my wife or son. After a couple of minutes my wife suggested I start my meal as it shouldn't be too long before they also got served. I had just started my meal when a waiter came and apologised and took it away and said all three meals would be served together. While this discussion was taking place another waiter slipped half a bottle of wine into our wine bucket, which I thought was a nice gesture for not serving our meals together. After finishing the second course and our original bottle of wine, I was curious to see what the half bottle was, as I lifted it from the bucket a waitress took it out of my hand and poured a glass for my son, our glasses had already been removed from the table. The waitress left our table looking a bit puzzled, I then asked a passing waiter for two more glasses at which point he removed the half bottle and took it or what was left to another table. He then passed by and said he would bring two glasses of wine, which did. No explanation what was wrong or what the wine was, we were billed £5 for each glass.
We left the restaurant feeling disappointed, the food was average and the service courteous, but impersonal. Reading all the positive reviews I feel we were just unlucky on this day, some better communication would have made a lot of difference.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Surrey
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I were offered a free meal at this restaurant after a very disappointing stay at The Langham for our anniversary, and when we asked if we could combine this with a celebration for my eldest's birthday, we were met with an enthusiastic and positive response, along with an offer of champagne for all as an aperitif. It was very late, with only a week to book, and not only did they find us a table but they found us the best table in the restaurant, and from the very start the service was all-attentive and slick. Food matched up with the best (what I'd expect from a Roux, in all fairness), delightfully modern and light but with all the best of traditional skills - a chateaubriand with a panzanella salad was stunning and one of the best of its kind I've ever eaten. Dessert was also dreamy - a superb Madagascan crème brulee completed a perfect meal. Franco the Maitre D' has our promise we will return.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A wonderful anniversary...plus a meeting with Albert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited the restaurant today for our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. The ambiance is relaxed and unpretentious, yet you are made to feel very special and valued. The food was divine and we opted for the special champagne lunch via Toptable which was tremendous value! We had complimentary canapes/amuse bouche once seated and I chose the lamb sausage for starter and my husband chose the salmon. For main I had the duck and my husband chose the sea bass, all of which were delicious and beautifully presented. We chose cheese for dessert and the choice was amazing and accompanied with lovely nutty bread and celery. We then had coffee and petite four on a slate plate with 'Happy Anniversary' which was a lovely touch. The service was attentive, friendly and efficient. Shortly after we arrived, Albert Roux sat down for lunch with 2 guests just 2 tables away from us and we even had the pleasure of meeting him (and I got a kiss!). All in all, a very special anniversary and we will definitely be back soon.

Bath, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is our favourite place to eat we have always had lovely perfect food and service.

Will always be my first choice when I am in London.

I love all the Champagne bottles as you walk in :)

• Visited June 2013
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Booked in for an early dinner one Friday to take advantage of their menu du jour offer of 3 courses, including half a bottle of wine (each), a bottle of mineral water per table and coffee for £45 per person. This also included an amuse bouche, some very tasty breads and petite fours. As a white wine drinker we had the choice of a Spanish Rueda or a Chablis. Opted for the Rueda, which was very good given the deal. The food was very well presented and very delicious. My husband opted for the cod, which he stated was the best he had ever eaten. Service was very professional. We started with a couple of glasses of champagne, so bill came to just over £130, which given what we had, we though was very good value. Would highly recommend this deal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere