“Very nice experience, with gracious and welcoming owner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spices

Spices
10 Chapel Market | Isligton, London, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)
020 7837 7151
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Spices is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,921 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Islington / Clerkenwell
Description: What you get at Spices is simple: exceptional food, really great prices and service that is second to none. All of the food is cooked from fresh, so arrival time of the food will increase accordingly but definitely worth the wait! When the food arrives, you are never disappointed.One of the reasons why we're still here today is because our customers love our food. Simply because everything we use is of high quality and freshly made. So you can actually taste the difference in aroma and texture, it will definitely put a spark in your taste buds, just exactly how it should be made.We specialize in high quality Indian/Bangladeshi cuisine placing more emphasis on quality rather than speed, and as we are very passionate about our food. There is also catering for vegetarians We believe if a customer has tasted our food once, we can almost guarantee they'll be back again for more.First Indian Restaurant in Islington for HOME STYLE COOKING try once to believe itTo make your dining experience even more affordable we operate a Bring Your Own Drink policy. You are very welcome to bring your own wine or beer, without being charged corkage. There is also a Special 5 Course Meal Deal £10.95 per person. Excluding soft drinks which we will provide.
Northeast Ohio
“Very nice experience, with gracious and welcoming owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Spices, made so much more enjoyable by the fact that the owner was friendly, welcoming, and took great care of our table and explained items in detail. The fact that he is so proud of his establishment really shines. The food was very good, and we had a wide selection of items. This establishment does not offer alcohol, but encourages you to bring your own or go across the street to purchase. Then they'll even provide openers, glasses, etc. If there was any negative at all I would say that it is a very small interior, so you are quite cozy with your neighbor. A delightful experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
london
“wonderful authentic indian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've brought many people here (some of them indian and are used to home-cooked curries) and we even had our work's xmas do here. Everyone, without exception, who has come here love both the food and the service provided by Ali who will gladly recommend you dishes if you tell him what flavours you are after. You are permitted 30 seconds to try your curry, if you dont like the sauce, they will change it for you. It may sound gimmicky but i and several others have taken advantage of this to make something spicier/creamier/etc thus ending up with our 'perfect' curry. And it's cheap and you can bring your fave plonk!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

had a lovely meal here a couple of weeks ago Ali is so friendly and gave us suggestions of what to eat . its byob with no corkage charge. the bill was about £30 including tip for two starters two curries rice and nan. i would go back here next time in london

Los Angeles, California
“Decent dishes, VERY slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

It's hard to find bad Indian curry here in London. But there are times when you feel that you wish you had gone to the other place 2 doors down.
Arriving at our reservation time we were seated at our choice which is always good. I hate sitting right next to the door or near the pass through for the kitchen. We picked a place farther in, albeit a small-ish restaurant with 8 or 10 tables 4 seats per table. The services was 2 men, who seemed to be either cocky or nervous about being wait staff.
We quickly learned that the items on the menu are a la carte. You want dips for your popadoms it'll cost you extra.
We ordered one starter to share, nothing came with it, no flat bread for dipping nor was there any suggestion to order something for that.
We ordered our mains with 2 side dishes, all to share.
After the starter came and went it was nearly 45 minutes before our mains showed up. I said "I'm ready to put down a 5 and leave".
Granted the dishes were good, but then like I said, it's hard to find bad Indian food here.

*could be a little friendlier
*could be a little quicker with service

If you want to reserve a table on Taste Card they will charge you and limit the selections on the menu. And you can not show up without prior mention of wanting to use Taste Card. The 'waiter' went as far as to pull out the reservation made on his smart phone. All we did was ask if we could use our Taste Card.
Next time....well, I doubt there will be a next time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, New Jersey
“Cool experience, first time I enjoyed Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Dont judge a book by its cover is totally true for this place. My friend took me here when we were visiting him in London and we never would have found the place or gone to this area otherwise. Ali, as others have indicated asks you what kind of food/flavors you like and creates a dish for you (they also have a regular menu). I thought this was a really cool twist and interesting way to eat. The staff was very friendly and Ali was very outgoing. The place is a byob which is great. I have to say I really enjoyed the food and I have never liked Indian food. Ali and his team at spices have made me re-evaluate Indian food and I ate it again on the trip only 2 days after visiting spices. I would definately reccamend it if you are in the area especially if you are willing to try something new and trust Ali to create a dish for you. I just regret that it isn't closer to where we spent our time in London, I would have went back again.

Visited September 2012