“Lovely Lebanese/Morrocan meal near Covent Garden, with matching prices” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Roche

Cuisines: Lebanese, Moroccan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Toronto
“Lovely Lebanese/Morrocan meal near Covent Garden, with matching prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The area is busy with tourists so we expected to pay a little more and we did! There was an unexpected 12-15% tip added onto our bill without any warning on the menu. We were asked if we would like a rice/couscous accompaniment after receiving our tagine meals, without any indication that this was an extra chargeable side dish. (We are unfamiliar with Lebanese/ Morrocan meals and thought it was included.) So it turned out to be more expensive than we anticipated but overlooking that, we were pleased with: 1] nice atmosphere to dine in (amateurish paintings though) or outside, with attentive service by the waitresses, esp. to our little girl; 2] an extraordinary tasty green apple juice, with a bit of foam at the top--was it freshly pressed?! 3] a remarkable seafood tagine with huge chunks of scallops and large mussels. Yum! We easily found seating at 6pm on a week night but tables filled up by 7:30 pm.

• Visited August 2013

Kent
“Absolutely Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Had the Lamb Tagine and Bulgur Kofte at La Roche this evening. My husband had the mixed Kebab. It was my first time with Moroccan food and I was really surprised how lovely it was. My husband was also pleased with his mixed grill. The lamb was very tender and the taste was really very lovely. The waitress was very attentive and polite. The place was quiet around 5pm and then it was filled to the brim. Pleasant restaurant and very convenient pre and post theatre. I would definitely eat there again when in the area.

• Visited August 2013
N Lincs
“V enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went there by pure accident whilst still frothing over a mix up over a booking elsewhere, on a hot August evening, with limited time before going to the theatre. I was fairly certain we would end up eating a McDonald's sitting on the kerb judging by the queues elsewhere and asked here, more in hope than expectation, for a table for two. An utterly charming waitress found us a table, immediately adjacent to large open windows which cooled us both down.
Service was prompt and friendly, the food was very good. Not v cheap, I had three courses, my wife two, before wine it came to £60 ish with 12.5 % service already included, but this is central tourist London.
As they came to my rescue I remain v pleasantly gently disposed but even so if I was in the area again I would go back.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A pleasant, but expensive, meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The best thing you can say about this restaurant is that when everywhere else close to the ENO is booked, this is still available, which is why the three of us ended up there for a pre-opera supper. There is of course a reason why...

The meal we had, comprising two different kebabs and a vegetarian meze selection, was good - the meat acceptably tender, the mezes varied and interesting. The pudding menu is very long suggesting a third party supplier and the risk of something stale, so two of us had the ice cream, which was unexceptional.

I was personally annoyed that they did not have carbonated water in anything other than very small bottles so asked for tap water which, perhaps unsurprisingly, took a long time to come. My colleagues had bottled water.

The whole came to around £80 (for three) which seemed steep though both my colleagues were less concerned..

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Terribly overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Even in the West End of London I do not consider it reasonable to pay £2.25 for a pot of tea, especially where that pot turns out to be only the size of a small cup (essentially one is buying the privilege of pouring the tea from pot to cup, rather than just having it served in a cup). Here's the other ridiculous thing: a standard pot of tea costs £1.95, but decaff tea or anything slightly out of the ordinary (e.g. Earl Grey) is an extra 30p! Now, I know all about the market, so I know that I don't have to pay these prices if I don't want to, but I just thought it was ridiculous. The only reason I stayed was because I was with friends and didn't want to kick up a fuss pointing out in the same street we could have got more tea, more tastefully served, and with better service, and in a more pleasant atmosphere, for half the cost. I considered a cake, but they were just under a fiver each, plus an extra £1 for the addition of a tiny amount of cream or custard. They didn't even look irresistibly appealing. I'm just not sure how somewhere like this keeps going when better quality all round can be had elsewhere nearby for a fraction of the price.

• Visited June 2013