“Not Friendly at all.....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Friendly Inn

Friendly Inn
47 Gerrard St, London, England (Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue)
(020)-7437-4170
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7,482 of 17,997 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue
London
“Not Friendly at all.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have been dining at this restaurant for many years. The reason being that the service was friendly & the food good. Sadly however our experience today was very disappointing. The service was poor & the quality of the food was not as before. The quality & taste was not what we had experienced previously. They appeared to rush people to order & leave soon after the meal. The service has definitely deteriorated & we will certainly not be returning here again & sadly can't recommend it to anyone. I think this place should be renamed Unfriendly Inn.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Portsmouth
“Great find in China Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived in China Town on route back to Portsmouth and decided to visit our usual restaurant only to find it boarded up ! We walked along and found this lovely place. Food and service was excellent and VGVFM. Think this has just become our new stop off in London for a good Chinese.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
liverpool
“Our favourite resturaunt in china town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Lovely food, good service! 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 bowls of rice and 2 glasses of wine came to only £30... very reasonable ! Will definitely be back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ayrshire
“Nothing Friendly About This Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We used Friendly Inn a few years ago as the food portions were sufficient and the quality of this food was up to scratch.

However, on eating here last night, I was shocked at just how rude staff were. My friend and I felt like we were being hoarded in like cattle and being treated like a number rather than valued customers. The decor of the restaurant was severely dated - the walls looked like they hadn't seen a lick of paint for at least a decade and the creaky chair I was perched on felt like it would collapse at any point! Some seating and flooring areas are made up of wood which also looks like it has seen better days. Our tablecloth was in fact a cheap paper disposable sheet similar to those that are used at kid's birthday parties. Like certain restaurants in Brick Lane, Friendly Inn have made the eating area larger by taking space away from the toilets, which are now so tiny that even a Smurf would have difficulty accessing the Men's.

Starter and main course were nice and filling, I couldn't fault it. My friend was happy with his too. However, when it came to paying up, the staff slapped a heavy service charge on our bill. I gave them half of this as I felt it was appropriate for the mediocre service that was provided. The member of staff I handed the money to immediately returned to our table stating that we would have to pay the full service charge, as it states on the menu in the tiniest of print that all customers will be expected to pay 10% of their final bill as a service fee. She appeared abrupt in her manner, clasping her hands on her hips as she patronisingly informed us of their sly and misleading regulations. She made it look like we were unreasonable to even dare contest the fee in the first place.

Reluctantly we paid, but I certainly won't be back because of this. I often find the restaurants who know that their services aren't up to scratch will make their service charge mandatory, as they are aware that customers probably won't leave a tip off their own back. In future, I will use many of the restaurants in Chinatown who have left it up to me to decide what service charge I will pay, as they are more likely to provide the customer with a worthwhile experience.

The beauty of Chinatown in London is that there are hundreds of restaurants to choose from so customers should not be settling for a second-rate service and should feel appreciated for their custom. Go elsewhere, there's far better places to choose from.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berkshire, UK
“Excellent Service and Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had a quick meal at The Friendly Inn last night and cannot praise it highly enough. We were a little tight for time and needed to eat quickly before the theatre. My party of three received a warm welcome and were assured speedy service and that's what we received. The food was excellent, very reasonably priced and arrived promptly as promised. A great dining experience and I shall hopefully go back before too long to explore more of the extensive menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere