“Something a little different” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #414 of 17,997 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Abyssinia Restaurant is a corner of the Horn of Africa in the midst of London. We're specialized in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. Our food, which includes a vegetarian variety, is all genuine and authentically prepared. To accompany our food menu we offer a good selection of wines and traditional Ethiopian beers and drinks. You can pop in for just a coffee or enjoy a meal with family and friends as well. A music and dance lounge is available usually at weekends or on our special events, while if you prefer a more cozy and chatty atmosphere, our garden is ideal for a summer evening chill out with drinks. We're open every day from 11 am to Midnight and looking forward to welcome you soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Something a little different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was my third experience eating at an Ethiopian Restaurant and the food was very good, comparable with the first two. I can't remember the name of the first place I went to as it was a number of years ago, however, I would say the food is as good as Adulis in Oval which is probably the most well known Ethiopian Restaurant in London. I had the mixed Platter which consists of 5 'curries' on Injera, a slightly sour flatbread. The staff member initially wasn't sure he had the ingredients to make it, but then decided he'd go and buy the ingredients he didn't have from the local shop! All the Curries were very flavourful and very distinct from one another and the Injera the best I've had.

I always forget that the portion sizes are massive at Ethiopian Restaurants , we ordered the mixed platter for two and it could easily have fed 4! Even with the big portion sizes, the bill was small, under £30 for two of us, so this place is very good value for money.

There was only one guy running the restaurant when we went, possibly the owner, and someone in the kitchen, however, he was very nice and the service prompt. They do have odd opening hours as we walked past at approx 6pm on a Sunday and they were just opening up.

The de cor was dated and very basic, and so it's probably not the best place to bring someone on a first date, but if you're looking for something a little different to the many Middle Eastern Restaurants in Cricklewood, then it's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seble G, Manager at Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Thank you for your positive comment and review. We're looking forward to have you back again and we're happy to inform you that now we're open from 11 am to midnight every day.

London, England
“Authentic and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is my local restaurant. I live across the road and have been coming here for about 15 years. During that time, it's been through various changes of ownership. The original lady owner and her daughters established a gold-plated reputation, bringing back spices from Ethiopia on a regular basis. Now, Abyssinia is back to its origins, and standards are good. Menus are available in English, Ethiopian and Eritrean, reflecting some culinary overlaps in these cultures. I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember the precise names of many dishes. But I can tell you that the red lentil dish, the yellow lentil dish, the collard greens, the cubed lamb dish and the chicken with a boiled egg in a hellishly spicy sauce are terrific.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your positive comments and review. Please come back and visit us soon. looking forward to that
Ampthill, United Kingdom
“Very interesting and tasty experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant before. I chose the vegetarian mixed platter. This was a mix of spicy dishes, including a range of vegetables and lentils, served on a huge pancake -type base. There was no cutlery and you ate the food by scooping it up with the "pancake" - can't remember the proper name, but it was tasty with a slightly tart flavour.
This would be a good dish to share, probably with a rugby team or permanently hungry male adolescents. I could only finish about a third of it, and it was very tasty, making a nice change from Italian,Chinese or Indian.
It would have been five stars but it was too cold to take my coat off in the restaurant...

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seble G, Owner at Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Thank you for your positive comments and review. We're glad you were satisfied by your experience with us and we're looking to have you back in a renewed, improved and much warmer environment.
London
“Amazing ! (Overall)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I went to this Ethiopian restaurant last night with my family. We are Indians, as you all know that we always prefer to go to Indian restaurants. We have been to Chinese, English and Italian restaurants, but this was the first time wanted to try a different traditional meal which was overall satisfactory. We had never tried Ethiopian food before and really enjoyed it. The service was good and friendly.Food arrived on a huge communal plate with a giant pancake and different types of cooked vegetables and meat. It was amazing, mouth watering and can never forget this huge meal. I bet if two can finish eating the whole meal. We Indians have this sort of pan cake which we called Dosa. Usually South Indians makes this regular for morning breakfast with vegetable sambar and chutney. But this was AMAZING! Then again, you need more patience for your meal to arrive because they take time to cook freshly which is important. Guys try this once and you will really like it and you would not be disappointed. Trust me!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your positive comments and review. We're very glad your first experience with Ethiopian food was a good one. Please come and visit us again for another family meal, we're ready to welcome you back :)
London
“Great food for open minded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

'Just popping out for an Ethiopian' is not
'Just popping for an Ethiopian' is a phrase that not everyone can use. Well, I can and I feel smug.

The restaurant is small with perhaps six tables and a small outside courtyard - perfect on a sunny evening. The decor is a bit 'tired' but culturally accurate. The place gets busy in the evening with the natives, but it is very welcoming.

I have visited the restaurant a handful of times with Ethiopian acquaintances and enjoyed the food each time.
I can't name any of the dishes ate, but I can say that they were simply excellent.

We were served on a big silver platter layered with kind of 'sour panckake' and a mixture of 'dips' made of lentils, cheek peas, salsa like mix etc. Huge, juicy, roasted lamb joint was added to it.
The meat was so fantastically marinated and cooked that it flaked and disolved in my mouth - no chewing. It was the best meat I have ever had - true.
Best to add native beer to this dish - both complement each other.

We ate from one shared platter, with one hand and there was a lot of traditional 'cleansing' and hand washing. Not difficult if you are shown what to do and how to do it.

The 'coffee' ceremony simply adds to the experience. Special ambers and francenscent are lit, coffe beans are rosted and hand grinded, before brewing in a traditional coffee pot and served in a tiny cups. Coffee is strong, bitter and aromatic.

This restaurant is definitely a nice experience for open minded diners.
It's not a quick fix, it's not romantic. It is full of customs and traditions. Also, the food is excellent and the service is good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your positive comments and review. We're very happy to hear your experience with us never let you down. Authenticity and genuine tastes & service are our aim and goal. Looking forward to your next visit.