“Must go again and soon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Square

The Square
6-10 Bruton Street | Mayfair, London W1J 6PU, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 (0) 20 7495 7100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #313 of 17,931 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Must go again and soon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Spectacular in every respect. We (four of us) chose the nine course tasting menu with the accompanying wines. Of the nine courses, I would rank one as amongst the best I have ever tasted, two others as truly memorable, three as absolutely terrific and the other three as really good.The wines were similarly exceptional and included two or three we had never tasted before. Given that we try to visit Michelin star restaurants at least five or six times a year, that is some result. It is not cheap to eat here, but by heavens it is good and worth every penny. Staff were attentive and knowledgable and the ambience was spot on. MUST go back!

• Greek first
Cardiff
“Wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We visited this restaurant last Thursday and had a superb meal. We opted for the three course menu, as I have a nut allergy so couldn't have the tasting menu. Everything was top class, from the canapé's to the petit fours and service was also impeccable. My only comment would be that I had emailed the restaurant about my nut allergy and they said it was no problem. However when it came to ordering the dessert, I was initially told I could not have anything on the menu. I had to plead with them to put something together, which they did and it was delicious. We had a great evening and would definitely go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge
“A Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at the Square on Saturday in the private dining room as a party of twelve and the standard of food was definitely good but I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the service.

To be fair this is only the second time that I have dined in a Michelin starred restaurant this year and my first experience of a two michelin star restaurant.

I was really looking forward to the experience because the previous (one star) restaurant had been amazing and we had received impeccable service.

However this time there were a few things that i felt let things down...

In the previous restaurant the chef had taken the time to speak to us and introduced some of the courses personally (in fact the head chef even took us for a tour of the kitchens after our meal and explained everything to us) and the staff at the other restaurant had been amazing.

By comparison the person who introduced the amuse bouche and other courses at The Square didn't really seem to be that interested.

Later, when the main courses arrived, there seemed to have been a mix-up with the grooms meal and when he mentioned that he had been served the wrong course he was asked if he 'was sure' that he had really ordered the beef!!

He was then left to wait whilst the rest of the diners ate their main courses and his arrived some 10-15 minutes later.

As far as I am aware there didn't even seem to be any sort of apology.

During the cheese course one waiter knocked some cheese biscuits out of the hand of another the wine waiter was then left holding the door open with one hand whilst pouring wine with the other hand.

He then had to bend down and pick all of the biscuits off the floor as the other servers seemed to have left him to do this on his own...

Considering that this was a Saturday afternoon and the restaurant did not appear that busy the lack of attention to detail was disappointing.

Later in the evening when I discussed the matter later with the groom he also expressed his overall disappointment and went so far as to say that he wished that he had chosen an alternative venue for his wedding dinner which is a shame as the rest of the weekend went without a hitch!!

I would certainly say that overall the service and food rated a solid 8/10 but not the 9 or 10 that I was expecting from an establishment of this calibre and this seemed to be the general opinion of the other people in our party.

I'm sure our experience was probably atypical of the normal service received by most and hopefully improvements will be made.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Easily one of the best meals I have had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visited as a party of 6 on saturday to celebrate my mother's birthday. We settled for the set menu and the entire experience, from the amuse bouche to the petit fours was absolutely faultless. In particular, the braised pig's head and confit belly was absolutely divine and the service was impeccable. We will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Bring a hearty appetite, choose the tasting and wine pairing option and be very, very full and happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Square is all about taste, innovation, quality, service and the joy of interesting pairings of wine and food. Our Sommelier, Miguel Gomez was extremely knowledgable, charming and unassumingly efficient. We had some unusual parings, one even including sherry. The food was excellent, well prepared and served with care and precision. We had reflections and memories of our remarkable meal at the now defunct Cyrus Restaurant in Sonoma, California.

It was a great evening and we will recommend The Square to our foodie friends who visit London.

• Visited October 2013