“Never go wrong with the roti” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jerk city

Jerk city
189 Wardour Street, London W1F 8ZD, England (Soho)
020 7287 2878
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7,856 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Neighborhood: Soho
Neighborhood: Soho
Wimbledon UK
“Never go wrong with the roti”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I can't comment on the jerk chicken as I've not had it here, but I'm going to defend Jerk City. Their chicken roti is delicious. The best dhal puri I've had in London

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Warwick, United Kingdom
“Terrible chicken”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Awful food, ordered the jerk chicken ended up with very upset stomach for three days after eating. Will not be going back, was shocked that people can get away with serving food of this sub standard.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The food was so bad, I'm disgusted by the Timeout reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went here after reading glowing Timeout review. Usually timeout reviews are pretty reliable but this place had really really bad food. I ordered the prawn roti and the jerk chicken. You'ld think you cannot possibly go wrong, ordering Jerk Chicken in a carribean place called Jerk City. WRONG! The chicken was horribly dry and had a sauce which had a "ready-made" feel to it. Didn't feel at all authentic and honestly, the sauce tasted awful. The prawn roti, whilst different, was bland and didn't feel like the spices were marinated properly with the prawns. I also wouldn't call them "prawns". Shrimp definitely and stale shrimp, that too!

Never to return!

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Stung again! Never to return!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I don't know why I didn't learn my lesson the last THREE times I said I won't eat at Jerk City again!

I guess because I've been eating here since about 1998 when I first moved to London.
It USED to be great. The curry used to have flavour and the Jerk chicken was not dry. The jerk sauce used to have flavour.

But the last 3 times I've visited this year have all been a disappointment. I'm still not sold on the new decor but the food has turned bland. The service non existent, all I expect is a SMILE.

I think this place survives on it's mainly young male patronage that like the cheap, big portions and choice of home style food over fast food that is in that area. And that's it. I guess when you're desperate for something authentic this is the desperation. There's also the customers that think they're so "cool" eating Jamaican food. Just like the tourists visiting my island home.

But that's it!! I'm done with the dry chicken and food reheated in a microwave. Jerk City have had a chance to take Carribean food to the next level as they had a unique and loyal patronage and the most ideal location but it is lost!

From now on I'll save my cravings for home cooking when I visit my mums!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Cosy caribbean restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very simple and cosy place. They serve very nice caribbean dishes. I ordered the jerk chicken and rice and peas. I met some Jamaican people there and we had a nice talk! If you get tired of fancy restaurant and if you want to try some new taste in Soho, I would recommend this place! Staff are friendly and helpful.

• Visited June 2013