“Very nice dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Blue Door Bistro

The Blue Door Bistro
15 Montague Street | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)
020 7612 8416
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Blue Door Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 17,931 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury / Holborn
Description: The Blue Door Bistro provides a welcoming and informal bistro-style setting, with a fantastic menu to match. Light and airy at lunchtime and warm, cosy and candlelit by evening, the room is decorated on three sides with an antique panoramic view of London circa 1849: together with the rich mahogany panelled walls, effective use of mirrored glass, and contemporary wrought iron wall lights, an ambience rooted in the hotel's location is beautifully achieved. Executive chef, Martin Halls, used the finest of seasonal British ingredients, seasoned with the freshest of herbs from Chef's kitchen garden. With a wide range of vegetarian dishes and salads, commended with an AA rosette for its cuisine, you can rely on good honest food and impeccable service. We only use free range eggs and are committed to using sustainable fisheries for our fish supplies.
New York City, New York
“Very nice dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I just wanted lovely, not too fancy, not pretentious food. The wine offerings by the glass were superb.

Visited April 2013
Blue_Door_Manager, Manager at The Blue Door Bistro, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your dinner experience at the Blue Door Bistro.

I was especially delighted to read that you found the wine offering to be satisfying and it is equally pleasing to read that the dinner at the Blue Door Bistro met with your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Door Bistro again soon.

Newbridge, Ireland
“Lovely British food in hotel restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We dined here when staying at the Montague on the Gardens hotel. There is an excellent selection of items on the menu, accompanied by a wonderful wine list. The staff are very friendly, efficient and welcoming. Try the Dover Sole - one of the best i've ever had!

Visited April 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your lovely review of The Blue Door Bistro.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience with us. I was especially thrilled to hear that you found the food, especially the Dover sole, to be excellent.

I have also passed on your kind words to my team and we all hope to welcome you back to us again during our al fresco season to experience our outdoor areas.

Rochester, United Kingdom
“70th Birthday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Excellent lunch for 9 in the small conservatory - ideal on a round table for this number.
Adele was attentative and helpful as were the barman and waiters. We were not rushed. Our wine and food exceeded our expectations. A really great experience for us all.
Thank you. We hope to enjoy another meal later in the year.

• Visited April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent lunch experience with us.

Our team’s aim is to make our guests feel welcome and special throughout their stay with us to make it a memorable one. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed the lunch and that Adele was able to make your birthday a special day for you. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Montague on the Gardens Hotel this summer to experience our outside areas.

London, United Kingdom
“Londoner very happy with great quality service and delicious, original menu.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

As a Londoner, this is an odd choice for a Friday night out three course meal, a given. However, after deciding to visit the British Museum (literally next noor to Blue Door Bistro) I booked dinner here based on the great reviews. Dinner was not disappointing.

There is an outdoor space, which I could see would be fabulous come summer. Views from the restaurant look out on to a busy Bloomsbury/Holborn residential street, but the restaurant suffers none of the noise associated.

Service is second to none - waiters and bar staff are friendly but not over familiar, and talking with them I discovered the most recent member of staff to join had been there 6 months, but all others between 4 and 11 years. This dedication and commitment speaks volumes for the hotel and restaurant.

Many other diners were having a lovely evening, and this set a great mood for our meal. We started with cocktails in one of the many lounge rooms. There was a live singer and pianist - a great touch for a Friday night out. Both myself and my girlfriend had two courses - all food was divine. My Wagyu beef burger - probably the least inventive sounding thing on the menu - was delightful, ordered medium rare, it came exactly that, and was served with truffle and parmesan chips which were delicious. Presentation was faultless.

Worthy of excellent reviews. If I wasn't based in London, I'd seriously consider the hotel for any stay, too. Decor is traditional but not stuffy.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blue_Door_Manager, Manager at The Blue Door Bistro, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent dining experience with us at the Blue Door Bistro.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful dinner with us and I am equally pleased that you especially enjoyed the Wagyu beef burger.

We are very proud of our staff at the Blue Door Bistro and it is always delightful to receive such lovely and kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am happy that you found the food to be excellent and I am equally pleased that you especially enjoyed the atmosphere

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back this summer to experience and enjoy al fresco dining on our wood deck.

“Blue Door restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

From the moment we walked through the front doors, we were greeted Wwere greeted and inquired after by a couple people. My companion is gluten-intolerant and they had special treats especially for her. There were a couple of things on her tray that I wanted to eat and mine was filled with enough tasty treats as it was!

This is an excellent restaurant

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blue_Door_Manager, Manager at The Blue Door Bistro, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent experience with us.

We are delighted to receive such lovely and kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am very happy that you found the little touches that we provide to be excellent.