“Great place to stay in the heart of King's Cross” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Megaro

You added Hotel Megaro to your Saves list
Hotel Megaro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgrove Street | St. Pancras, London WC1H 8AB, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Special Price
Book Direct and Save £15!
Ranked #258 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in the heart of King's Cross”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were seeing a show in Camden so plumped for this hotel as it's just a short tube ride from the Roundhouse. We were very pleasantly surprised. For a very reasonable nightly rate we got very friendly and helpful hotel staff, nicely designed room and the on site restaurant and bar are delicious (gorgeous cocktails at the bar after our show and excellent breakfast the morning after in the restaurant). We were also given an upgrade to a suite, which always helps but the beds, which I think are the same even in the standard rooms, are really REALLY comfortable. We slept very soundly. We were on the top floor to the side of the building and despite warnings about the busy, noisy road we found it very quiet. This could be different in lower floor rooms and the front of the building so if you're a light sleeper request a top/ side room. Every room has an espresso maker and loose leaf tea/ teapot, which was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor and to the side of the building are much quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Location

It's really easy to find the hotel. Apart from the fact it's directly opposite King's Cross station, it's painted in multiple colours on the outside (and therefore stands out from far away). The close rail links make it a doddle to travel around London (assuming you don't fancy a walk, which is also quite possible).

We were upgraded for free on arrival to a "family room" (guessing "large" as they describe it on the website), which was a nice surprise. The desk staff were always pleasant and courteous and even helped our friend find the hotel he was staying in nearby. When we checked out the next day, they allowed us to keep our bags there for the day, which really helped.

Price/ Value

The Standard Double room price is listed on the Megaro website as £120, and the Family Executive room as £240. We booked the former for 1 night in Feb 2013 at £99 (via a booking website that Tripadvisor links to - I don't think I'm allowed to specify which by their rules). However, we received a free upgrade to a Family Executive room on arrival, which meant we definitely got good value as far as we are concerned.

Room

I was preparing for an exam the next day, so specifically asked for a room away from King's Cross station as much as possible. We were given room 401. The view wasn't great (buildings towering on all 3 sides opening onto flat rooftops), but there was plenty of light coming in, and I wasn't there to stare out the window. Noise from the station was minimal/non-existent, so if anyone is concerned about this, this room (or others like it on that side of the hotel) is not a bad idea.

The Family Executive room was spacious, and my fiancee and I both liked the decor (though I suppose wood panelling may not be to everyone's taste).

However, there were a few small things that bugged me (which may not trouble most people):

1) The toilet seemed a little high up, and the sink a little low. I would consider myself average height (5' 8") with normal length legs (32 inches), but felt like I was bending double to reach the (very nice) sink, and when I sat on the toilet, my feet did not sit flat on the ground. I have not come across this before.

2) The walk in shower/wet-room section had glass panels that did not sit flush with the floor, or have some kind of rubber seal/rim at the bottom. The result? Water that went all over the floor of the bathroom, making it slippery and a potential hazard for injury.

3) The shower itself looked great, but it didn't live up to expectations. The water either continuously fluctuated every 5-10 seconds between cold/luke warm and nicely hot, or (if you tried to turn up the heat) between scalding and nicely hot. Either way, it meant I (or my fiancee) couldn't enjoy the shower. Neither the sink or the toilet was in use when I was showering, so I couldn't explain it away. I've only ever seen this kind of issue with water heat fluctuating regularly with electric showers.

4) The light switch for the wardrobe lights are not in the intuitive place you would expect (ie: in the panel of closest light switches). It's actually on a panel further away, so we played a gmae of turn all the switches on/off one by one to find the one we want.

5) The phone is paced on a wall on the opposite side of the room, rather than by a bed. Not much of an issue unless you want a wake up call (although I suppose by making you get up to answer the phone, you will be "woken up").

6) The plug sockets on either side of the bed (that the lamps seem to be wired from) do not take standard UK 3-pin plugs, but seemed designed for a more round 3-pin design. There are normal 3-pin sockets elsewhere in the room, but I like to plug phones (and other devices) in by the bed, so I can reach them, and I don't think I'm alone in this. I didn't expect to require a travel adaptor to use a national standard plug.

Unfortunately, these small things (which the nice staff on the reception desk would not have been able to fix as they are design issues - so I did not bother raising these with them) mean I only score this hotel a 4. If even only the shower/shower glass issue was improved, I could see my way to scoring a 5.

Room Tip: We were in room 401 - away from King's Cross station. Hardly any noise at all.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for the first night of our honeymoon...and were upgraded to a lovely suite! Wow...it was a really great room with a fantastic view and everything you might need. It was just a few minutes walk from St Pancras which was perfect for an early Eurostar journey booked the next day. The staff were friendly and helpful and all in all, it was a great start to our honeymoon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel due to its location right opposite St Pancras. Were not disappointed. Able to leave bags while out & about. Really surprised by lack of noise despite being at the front of the hotel. Very comfy bed. Great size room. Lovely shower-could just turn jets on so no need to get hair wet if you didn't want to. Bonus coffee machine. Continental breakfast, included in price booked through hotel direct, was lovely. Friendly staff. Will definitely stay when visiting London in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and in room 606 in February 2013.

Good points :-

1) Location excellent a short walk across the road from London St Pancras / KingsCross.
2) Breakfast (ours was included in the price) The juices really were freshly squeezed, the coffee was good and strong and the English breakfast excellent. Croissants were fresh and french toast very good. All were served on warmed crockery and with care. Its worth noting that there is a points system next to each item of food rather than a price. Our deal allowed us an English Breakfast or 10 points plus a free cold drink and a free hot drink. A full English breakfast was 10 points but if you preferred you could have any combination of breakfast up to that value eg a croissant at 4 points and a bowl of muesli at 4.5.
3) Staff were friendly and helpful
4) The room was comfortable and well laid out.
5) Complimentary newspaper
6) They happily kept our luggage on arrival and departure whilst we took in the sights before check in and after checkout.

Bad Points :-

1) Temperature in the room was cold
2) No heat in the towel rail
3) Shower comes out of the ceiling so no choice but to get your hair wet
4) Only one TV remote despite a TV in each side of the room
5) We were asked to account for 2 items taken from the mini bar that we had not taken. We had not even noticed the mini bar until the morning of leaving in fact as it was situated at the side of the room our daughter had occupied. In fairness the staff were nice about it but it did make me feel unhappy that our honesty may have been in question.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Second time we've stayed at this lovely hotel now. Amazing location, right across from St Pancras station and the tube.
Free upgrade to deluxe standard room, which was huge, on arrival.
Bed very comfortable, bathroom clean and modern, room has an iron, hair dryer, tea and coffee making facilities, plenty of wardrobe space and extremely clean.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Price excellent for what you get, no point in paying for a really expensive hotel when you're in London and out exploring all day! We will always come back here whenever we're visiting friends in London.
Lovely hotel!

• Stayed February 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice modern room, good size. Coffee machine broken. No heating in the bathroom, in February, which meant it was cold. Didn't much care for the wall to ceiling glass bathroom door.

Staff didn't seem to know if the towel warmer was cosmetic or broken but it didn't work and was the only bathroom heating available. Some time later I was told they were replacing them but they still put us in a room without a heated bathroom.

Price didn't include breakfast, booking website indicated fixed price available on site. Not so, it was like going to an outside bar NY style but very expensive and slow.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Megaro? Share your experiences!