“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Megaro

You added Hotel Megaro to your Saves list
Hotel Megaro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgrove Street | St. Pancras, London WC1H 8AB, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Special Price
Book Direct and Save £15!
Ranked #259 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

3 night stay, comfortable, convenient, clean, pleasant staff. Corner room at front of hotel looking on to a busy road however very quiet with good double glazing so no problem sleeping. Tired on return to hotel on 2 evenings so we ate in the hotel restaurant, the food was very much to our liking. Will use this hotel when we next return to London.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed for one night in April when taking Eurostar to Paris. Great location for King's Cross and St Pancras - although it little hard to spot at first! We found reception staff to be friendly and they even upgraded our room upon request. Room was lovely, plenty of space, great bathroom and very clean - everything we needed and even free internet on the flat screen tv. Easy walk into Oxford Street, Leicester Square,Soho and Covent Garden. Didn't eat at the hotel, so cannot comment on the food. Overall great stop over! Would stay again and definately recommend!

Room Tip: Was given an upgrade when the staff found out we were on honeymoon!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Chosen Megaro Hotel as my 5 days stay in London is due to it conveniently located St Pancras Stn where I'm transfering from Paris via Eurostar.This hotel was just opposite the King's Cross Stn(Underground+Railway) a perfect location for travelling using the trains.There is a Burger King below the hotel facing the busiest main road. The hotel lobby is somewhere hiding at the corner after a turn from Underground Exit.
Lobby look nice but whole area was not in aircon,felt a bit hot and stuffy even during Oct.Hotel staffs customer service was HORRIBLE that I never encountered before...The hotel staffs don't look helpfully or friendly at all.I hardly got my ans from any from them(staffs at the reception) whenever question I asked.After my second nights stay I requested to leave 1 of my luggage at the hotel as I checking in again for another 3 nights stay(after 2 days) but they rejected me in a firm and unpolite way saying their hotel DON'T keep bag for overnight and suggested me to leave my luggage at the station storage room(they kept emphasis is VERY cheap to keep my luggage there) but ended up I was charged about 28Pounds for a 2 days.
Other than their horrible customer services that I experience but I still enjoy my stay at Meguro Hotel. The room(at level 3) was great and spacious.Equip with free high speed WIFI via the 32” TV with Wireless keyboard,Expresso Machine,Ironing facilities,Fridge and comfortable bed.Bathroom was spacious and nice too with wooden flooring and came with a bath tub.I even do my own laundry during my 5 nights stay.The only thing I want to highlight is the soundproof,during the night the noise from the main road was unbearable.
The restaurant or lounge where I had my breakfast was located at Basement 1.The Continental Breakfast was nice but the full English breakfast taste cold and oily.Both type are served with juice and hot drinks.The coffee they served are warm or even cold.
If their staffs customer service can be improved it will be a excellent hotel to stay during my London trip.

Room Tip: Request for a higher floor if possible avoid room facing the main road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I am currently arranging for two nights in London and two nights in paris as a surprise for my boyfriend. I looked for hotels close to st pancras station. This hotel seemed to tick all of the boxes - modern, clean looking, great location etc. I tried booking the hotel via their website. The site crashed on me twice. As I had entered my card details I thought it best to contact the hotel to see if my booking had been accepted even though I hadn't received a confirmation email. The room had indeed been booked and my confirmation was an email saying 'the room you state below had been booked'. Even though I thought this was strange I thought the hotel would redeem itself and send me a formal confirmation. After two weeks I hadn't received anything so thought it best to email again. I received a response saying they don't do postal confirmations but that my booking was confirmed. Once again thinking this was strange I emailed the hotel back asking if I could at least have a reservation number. They emailed me back with such a number but suddenly the price had gone up, no longer included breakfast (I had chosen this extra in their website when booking) and wasn't the room I'd requested. SO, I contacted them once again highlighting these issues asking if the room was now not available for the original booking price. The response simply said 'yes'. Unable to understand this response as my first language is english I once again contacted the hotel for clarification. Another reservation was sent to me again with the wrong room, cost and lack of breakfast. Now, completely frustrated I asked the team to cancel my reservation. I received confirmation once again of my booking now with the correct price, breakfast and room. Again, I asked them to cancel my booking as as far as I was concerned this was too little too late. Once again I received a confirmation of my booking. After requesting for a third time for them to cancel my booking they did so. Not once during this whole exchange did I receive an apology and actually got called MR at one stage when I had clearly referred to myself as MISS. It was like I was talking to a machine that was trying to translate English and was doing a very poor job. I have since booked a premier inn - no issues here. Sometimes the cheaper hotels are the best! As I said, I never actually got to stay at this hotel but would you bother after these issues? An apology wouldn't go amiss but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Stayed May 2011
Cool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

As a preface, I travel to a limited degree to review rock concerts, and have begun to include hotel and resort reviews as well, which I am republishing here is modified form.

This review is for Megaro Hotel at King's Cross and St. Pancra, London, England during my recent England/France Trip (December 2011).

Room Type/Class: Executive King
Date: December 8-13, 2011
Overall Rating: 4/5

This was part of my trip to London, Paris, and Liverpool for a series of concerts, and I was staying in London for the first and last legs of my trip (the former for this stay over 5 nights). The hotel is Megaro Hotel.

I choose this hotel based on the recommendation of a friend, TripAdvisor reviews, and proximity to St. Pancras and King's Cross, as I planned to leave for Paris via the Eurostar at the end of this stay, which makes this the ideal location for convenience.

As this was the start of my trip, I came in from a long series of flights and traveling (Sacramento to DC, DC to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to London - not the most direct itinerary!). I'd visited England the year before, so had the Heathrow Express and tube down easy enough. The Megaro was fairly easy to find - it is across the street from the train stations, though it is easy to get turned around, and it is also down a narrow street and doesn't have great signage.

When I arrived, it was before check-in (had requested an early check-in) and my room wasn't ready. I explained I'd been traveling for many, many hours via red eye from the States, with weird routing, and they suggested I wait in the restaurant/bar in the lower level. I'd asked if they could alert me when the room was ready, and they said that they would. At least an hour passed with no contact, so I went back upstairs and inquired, and the room was ready, but not one thought to let me know.

In any event, I made my way to the room, and it was very nice - clean, modern, a good size for a UK hotel room. Bed, desk, and closet for storage, was well as a fairly large bathroom with sink, toilet, and shower over tub. As I've cautioned in other reviews, I've found hotels in England/France/Europe have inherently dangerous tubs/showers to get in and out of, so I would be sure to be careful.

The room included one window, which in my case offered a view across the street to the King's Cross station.

Overall, it was a very nice stay, and the location is awesome if you need to get in and around London, especially if you need to travel by train or the Eurostar.

The only real problems I encountered were things happening just outside of the hotel.

One, it is very noisy - it is a very noisy street right outside, in-between the hotel and the station. Noise doesn't particularly bother me personally, but I can see how it could disturb some guests.

Two, based on what I witnessed transpiring just outside of the hotel entrance, it is a dangerous area, particularly at night.

The second night of my stay, I was up using the computer at the desk at about 3am (not yet adjusted to UK time) and I heard some arguing outside. Long story short, I witnessed three men beat up upon two other men, right outside of my window. I actually videotaped it as it happened, and after the two men escaped, the other three troublemakers broke out the window out of the back of a car. A few minutes later, a worker from King's Cross came over - it was his car - I got dressed and went downstairs and showed him the video, and gave him my contact information (I was later contacted by the police and shared my information and images with them).

The third night, again right outside of my window, I witnessed a group of younger men trying to steal the Barclay's rental bicycles from the rental rack, and also were tampering with the payment machine - this was the exact same spot where I witnessed the assault the night before, which is right outside of the hotel entrance.

Traveling by myself as a youngish six foot tall man, I never felt any sense of danger, but given what I'd seen occurring right outside of the entrance of the hotel, it would definitely be a potential consideration for others.

One plus is that there is a storage facility on the other side of the street, so if you bring lots of luggage into London and plan to visit another area or country by train and return, you can leave some of your things behind and travel lighter (I did this myself).

Overall though, I found that the positives outweighed the negatives, and I would return and stay at the Megaro again - it is a great location (well, for getting around London anyway) and features nice and clean rooms).

Room Tip: Ask about whether window faces busy road and train station for noise considerations. Recommend high...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to catching the Eurostar. The hotel was superb. We had a 6th floor room with excellent views and surprisingly weren't disturbed by the traffic noise. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. Take the opportunity to visit the British Library which is next to St Pancras station.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Wonderful boutique hotel in a terrific location. Easy to get to by train and underground, within walking distance of British Library, Museum and the West End. Bedrooms roomy, beds comfortable, and the service warm and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Megaro? Share your experiences!