“Brilliant location to catch Eurostar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Megaro

Save Saved
You added Hotel Megaro to your Saves list
Hotel Megaro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgrove Street | St. Pancras, London WC1H 8AB, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #260 of 1,074 hotels in London
Canberra
“Brilliant location to catch Eurostar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to catching the Eurostar. The hotel was superb. We had a 6th floor room with excellent views and surprisingly weren't disturbed by the traffic noise. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. Take the opportunity to visit the British Library which is next to St Pancras station.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Wonderful boutique hotel in a terrific location. Easy to get to by train and underground, within walking distance of British Library, Museum and the West End. Bedrooms roomy, beds comfortable, and the service warm and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The staff are very good they listen to you and do not treat you as a Visa card or sheep which is rare nowadays anywhere.

The Hotel is very convenient , car parking is hit n miss in the area.The Hotel bedrooms are good however on our previous three visits there can be issues with the TVs and Showers but all in all so what they have te balance the right way around and with great food we love it !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I had high expectations for this hotel – the photos looked beautiful and it’s fabulously located for Kings Cross St Pancras station.
On the surface of it, the hotel was just that – beautiful and convenient; but there were a series of annoyances that added up to a frustrating stay overall.

Breakfast is only served from 7am. There is no room service option available earlier. I stayed here to be conveniently located for an early morning Eurostar and needed to check out at 6.45. It was annoying not to be able to get a breakfast before leaving. Reception told me I could go and speak to the restaurant to ask if they could lay out a tray of cold breakfast for someone to deliver to my room. To be honest, having arrived late, I didn’t really want to spend time negotiating with staff in a restaurant full of diners, over an out of process breakfast the next morning.

The two beds in my (single occupancy) room were large and were both camp beds/pull down beds. This was strange, but they were comfortable enough. The frustrating thing was that from the most solid looking bed that I slept in, there was no bedside table and no light switch within reach of the bed. My things were therefore on the floor and had to turn out the lights and use my phone as a torch to get into bed.

The bathroom smelt very strongly of drains when I arrived. I shut the door and this had gone by the morning.

The lift labelling shows the reception on ‘G’ – there is on ‘G’ button, the ground floor is ‘0’. Not a major issue at all, but just a sign of poor attention to detail when the hotel was kitted out.

The bathroom is huge and modern, but there is no shelf to put your toiletries on.

The massive front doors are too heavy to open comfortably when you have luggage for an overnight stay.

There didn’t seem to be a security double lock on the door of the room.

Overall there was nothing specifically wrong with this hotel, and none of those things on their own are enough to not stay there; but for £170 a night (excluding breakfast), I had expected more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

After arriving early on Easter Sunday - way before check in time - the helpful front desk staff directed us to their on site restaurant for breakfast - which was excellent, and they equipped us with maps and a few suggestions of local attractions until the room could be made ready. We returned a few hours later, and our room had been made up early. The room was spacious, very clean and very quiet, with all that you could need - including espresso maker! If you are travelling from St Pancras this is a fantastic location, with very quiet surrounding streets for a stroll/shopping. Included in our tariff the next morning was a continental breakfast which was also excellent. The 24 hour access bar is also a nice touch. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 604 - great room overlooking Kings Cross and St Pancras. Even though facing the fron...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We recently stayed (March 2012) at the Megaro Hotel -- specifically at the apartments located a block away from the main hotel. Be warned -- the hotel facade is currently undergoing a remodeling so it is hard to find under the scaffolding and netting. We spent a good twenty minutes walking up and down the street before finally asking another hotel concierge where it was located. The hotel lobby is pretty funky with black and white tile and an Alice in Wonderland vibe. Although we arrived early by 4 hours we were given key cards to our apartment and we were off. We were walked to our apartment by the coolly efficient concierge and given a very brief introduction to our kitchenette and the use of the card.

The apartment is in a beautiful building located across from a park/basketball court which is in constant use (day and night). Our particular apartment was at the very top of the building which required climbing 52 steps most of them outside with 12 very steep stairs within the apartment itself -- not for the faint of heart.

We stayed in the apartment that accommodated 4 adults. Two beds were in the main living area and one was in an open (no door) room. The bathroom which was beautiful was located within the main bedroom. The apartment was supplied with a small refrigerator a stove/oven a sink and cupboards with plates and glasses and utensils including a corkscrew. There was an iron and ironing board in a large closet in the main area and a hair dryer in the main bedroom. All the beds were comfortable and the rooms were kept scrupulously clean at all times.
Now for the Pros and Cons --
Pros:
Location, location, location: If you're not afraid of using the tube, you are a block away from the main hub at St. Pancras/King's Cross station. There are ton of incredible restaurants and pubs, a shopping mall, a grocery store and a cinema all within easy walking distance. A bike rental is across from the main hotel and a bank.

The room: Absolutely worth the cost, large and roomy and the great kitchenette. We had a wonderful home-cooked breakfast one day with fresh ingredients we got from an open market and some stuff from the local grocery.

Megaro Restaurant: Delicious food, delightful service and incredibly cool environment. I wish we would have eaten breakfast here and lunch. Our late dinner was one of the best meals we had in London -- truly amazing -- if you do go try the garlic soup -- YUM!

Cons:
Noise/Drunken Rowdies: This section of London appears to have an inordinate amount of rowdy extremely loud people that enjoy shouting at all hours of the early morning and late night. I like to sleep with the windows open, but after the first night, I learned to use ear plugs and keep the window closed.

Meeting Drunk/Homeless: Although we never felt threatened or scared at any time of day or night that we were out and about, we encountered on a daily basis many very obviously inebriated people (and their by-products).

Minor Complaints:
None of the concierges knew how to turn on the very new/trendy stove (and were not very interested in helping -- but after some experimenting we were able to get it going.
The free wifi seemed to drop out at a certain time every evening and would not work until early morning.

Overall, we were very happy we chose the Megaro and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I love London and I adore the Megaro.
After a week in Paris (where despite my efforts to not fall prey to stereotypes I did find people less helpful than in other places I visited) I arrived at The Megaro and was immediately made to feel at home. As I was staying for a week they ensured I had a quiet room away from Euston Road. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
The hotel is across the road from St. Pancras International, where the Eurostar arrives, and the proximity was welcome. It is housed in the eccentrically decorated Barclay's Bank building which is extremely handy as there are ATMs on your doorstep.
The location was perfect for me as it was walking distance to almost everything I wanted to do and when I was feeling too lazy to walk to The Tower, the tube was right outside the door.
The room was large enough to contain the VERY COMFY bed, a desk & a table and chairs. It had great closet space, enough to contain all my luggage and for me to hang / drawer all my clothes. The bathroom was huge and had a good shower over the bath.
The hotel restaurant and room service was great, if somewhat out of my usual non-holiday budget. The food was really delicious and there was a great variety.
As a four star hotel I had known that The Megaro would cost more than I would usually pay for accomodation, but when I got the final bill I was extremely chuffed to find that even with 3 lots of room service (including a fancy champagne) it came to less than I had budgetted. The value for money was amazing.
I will be in London again next year and will definitely be staying at The Megaro again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the fifth floor and it was quiet enough for me.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Megaro? Share your experiences!