“Didn't get to stay but disappointed with the service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Beauchamp

Save Saved
You added The Beauchamp to your Saves list
The Beauchamp
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24-27 Bedford Place, London WC1B 5JH, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #360 of 1,075 hotels in London
uk
“Didn't get to stay but disappointed with the service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

My husband booked for us to stay for 2 nights over my birthday.

The night before we were due to arrive we saw weather reports that the snow was due to be pretty horrendous our way. We checked our booking email from Opodo and it said we could cancel up to midnight the day before arrival, so we called to cancel at about 9pm.

The person on the other end of the phone said that it needed to be midnight the day before, the day before arrival (if you know what I mean) and refused to cancel our first night's stay. We cancelled the 2nd nights stay *just in case* as we realised it would be easier to book again then cancel it any later.

As predicted, the morning we were due to leave the snow was really bad and we couldn't get out of our road. We tried for a couple of hours but it just wasn't happening and there were no signs of improvement. I called the Beauchamp straight away around 9am to cancel but the person I spoke to was completely inflexible and unsympathetic and refused to even part-refund my night's stay or offer me the room on another date. I was told if I phoned them in future they would give me a special offer but it sounded unconvincing and lackluster.

I guess I just expect in this day and age a little more flexibility and out of principle I will not give them another chance. I travel to London every few weeks with work so it's a pity the hotel didn't take a more sensible view and they could have ended up not only recouping the money they lost this time round but also getting a lot of future business.

I realise this review doesn't give much information about the hotel itself but I just wanted to make people aware of the cancellation conditions so they don't end up out of pocket. Very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2009

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights on a theatre break. It actually worked out cheaper to book directly with the hotel than through a theatre break operator.

The hotel location is excellent, about 5 minutes walk from Russell Square tube station, easy to walk to Oxford Street and Covent Garden if you dont fancy the tube. The street itself is lovely and quiet.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are very attentive, great at providing maps and information, always speak when they see you and say good night when you come in. They also do a 'turn down' service which is a nice touch.
I asked for a room overlooking the gardens, and booked a superior double, apparently the superior doubles overlooking the gardens are on the ground floor only so you cant actually see them, this would have been better if it had been pointed out to me beforehand. I asked if we could be moved but was only offered a room overlooking the street (but not available til evening which was no good for us) or an upgrade which they wanted us to pay for so we stayed put in room 001.
The room itself was small but you expect that in London. It had everything we needed, was clean, lovely bathroom, large wardrobe, safe and plasma tv on the wall with plenty of channels. My only complaints about the room would be that it was freezing and no matter what we did with the air con we couldnt get it warm enough. The duvet was as thin as a sheet, so I spent most of the night shivering in bed! The other is that the room above has terribly squeaky floorboards, and although the people above us were quiet, the floor would squeak whenever they moved which was quite annoying.

Breakfast was included, and was great, lots of choice of croissants, fruit, cereals, meat and cheeses. We went for the full english on the morning we left which was an extra £4.70 and was worth it as it was delicious. Again the service was excellent.

This is a great little find, close to everywhere and we will certainly stay there again, although not in the same room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Temperature
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Stayed one night (birthday treat for my mother in law) as we was going to see a show and tour bus the next day. Friendly polite staff, booked executive twin room which overlooked the gardens really quite, room lovely and clean lots of space.
Room service good we had really nice sandwiches.
Went onto street and hailed a cab for us, booked my tour bus tickets for next day.
Any information i wanted staff really efficient, gave me maps, instructions etc.
Really nice continental breakfast, english breakfast was at extra cost.
Stored our luggage next day while we went sight seeing.
Would recommend and stay there again.

Stayed January 2009
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed for one night for business reasons. I didn't use any of the hotel facilities but I can say that my room was smart, fresh and modern in design. the bed was very comfy and the room a good size. The bathroom had a large bath and shower above which had a good deal of pressure. The broadband access was easy to access and the tv with Sky was of a good quality. Staff were helpful and polite. the hotel is in a beautiful and very historic area. It's 5 minutes from Russell Square tube station.

I'd definitely stay again.

• Liked — Modern rooms
  • Disliked — wifi is not free
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I booked this hotel through Late Rooms for one night in an executive room for myself, husband and son, and then the following night for just myself and my husband. The executive room was very spacious, two lovely queen sized beds, lovely decor and spacious and modern bathroom. Sitting area with desk. We were on the lower ground floor which was OK - nice and quiet. The second night we had a standard double room booked but when we viewed it the double bed was quite small - my husband's feet hung over the end (he is 6'2"). We queried the bed size with reception and they said it was their standard double room. As we were not happy with the bed size we were upgraded free of charge to an executive double - which had a bigger bed and more room space.

Overall the hotel was lovely, good location near Russell Square tube station etc. Helpful and friendly staff.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — the standard of the rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
milan, italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We arrived at the hotel, and I was feeling very nervous, as had I read a review that a previous guest had written, about being overbooked.
My husband, myself and our 2 small children arrived. We stayed in a luxury twin, which had 2 queen sized beds and a modern bathroom. Beautiful view of the gardens .

Breakfast was great, central and picadilly line within walking distance, and so near the theatres and british museum.

The staff were unbelievable, they changed our rooms when we had a problem, and could not do enough, fast enough.

Taxis were ordered for us, suggestions were given with the kids. Christmas day everything was closed so we ate dinner at the hotel, and they didnt charge for the kids.

All in all, really good service, really clean, and a fantastic staff.

• Liked — The cleanliness and great decor, very central to tubes and busses
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

This hotel is a rare find in London for the bargain price.
This hotel is spotless,the staff were helpful polite and efficient.
The hotel is in a quite street, location is great,round the corner from the British Museum,10 min walk to Covent Garden and a 15 min walk to China Town,Leicester Square.
This is an excellent Hotel if you are planning a theatre break,but if you want to venture further there is a bus stop across the road or tube station few minutes away..
I booked a standard room but was upgraded to an executive room free of charge,huge room tasteful decor,the beds are comfy and the shower a dream .
Breakfast was of an excellent standard continental beakfast is included in the room rate,you can pay a supplement of a few pounds for a full english but to be honest the continental buffet was so plentiful there was no need.
I will be back next time I am in London.I was amazed to read reviews that this place was overpriced with unhelpful staff?
I hope they keep up the great standard.

Stayed January 2009

Been to The Beauchamp? Share your experiences!