“Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofra - Mayfair

Sofra - Mayfair
18 Shepherd Street, London W1J 7JG, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 (0)20 7493 3320
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,550 of 18,003 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

A quaint place, friendly staff, good breakfast food. Staff did not rush you but service was a bit slow.

Visited May 2013

Lavenham
“Turkish perfection in Mayfair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived without a booking for an evening meal and at first I was concerned that we were shown around the corner to what was almost a private room. In fact it turned out superbly and there were only 4 tables in this area so we were able to chat in almost exclusive seclusion and yet also carry out that favourite sport of people watching from the open ground floor doors. I wasn't sure what to have but the friendly and helpful waiter carefully explained the dishes so that I was able to choose something to my taste. I was very pleased with the meal and I absolutely loved my informed choice. The area is wonderful and has a bohemian and mediterranean feel to it and yet you are only a stones throw from Park Lane and Berkeley Square. The restaurant is a gem, the food delicious and the staff care and make you feel welcome. I recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really good food & value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Following previous revews recommendations, I prebooked a table (upstairs) - which is street level.
Very busy restaurant but pleasantly greeted and shown straight to our table.

Not very familiar with turkish food but fancied a change.

Food was excellent, tried the meze starter to share - which allowed us to try a variety of flavours. Then lamb kebabs and a fillet steak.

There was a delay between starters and main but we were on a weekend away and in no rush, besides it was lovely to watch all the comings and goings, inside the restaurant and outside too.

Food was washed down with a nice bottle of sav blanc and bill came to under £80 (inc 12.5% service charge - which seems the standard arrangement in London).

Upstairs was only starting to empty around 10pm when we prepared to leave and instantly filled straight back up again.

Would recommend you book if you want to guarantee a table.
Staff friendly and efficient - would definately visit again when I return to London.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Slow service, and bad cuts of meat (if you can even call it meat)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I ordered the lamb and okra. I was slightly confused when the plate arrived as it looked like mostly bone, i scapped off a bit of meat from the sides and then discovered that it was actual a piece of spine. The bone shape was unmistakably spine. There was also a white rubbery tube like item on the plate which i can only assume was spinal cord.

My parters meal was ok, but nothing special. He had the spicy chicken pot.

They took my meal off the bill after complaining.

The service was also very slow, and we were sat in, what seemed like, a back room of the restuarant, with only 4 tables, and no atomosphere.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lavenham
“Delicious food and v good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The number of times I had passed the restaurant and thought how nice it looks, so I was very pleased when invited to join a friend in a meal here. I was a little worried when we were put in a small room, around the corner from the main entrance because I wondered if we would get forgotten in terms of service. In fact service was impeccable throughout. The food itself was deliciou - and served by knowledgeable staff, who were able to recommend dishes, and say not only the ingredient sbut some of the background to them - if they were a traditional dish for example. Altogether, a very pleasant end to an evening and i will definitely be back!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere