“Disappointing experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #907 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The reception area was clean and the staff were friendly. When we entered the room it felt like we had walked into an oven. During the night we had to open the window (fortunately there were bars on the windows as we faced the main road) just so we could sleep. The beds were very hard and the pillows very thin and uncomfortable. The towels were not replaced every day and looked like they had been re-folded and layed across doona on the bed.. Many times the cups were not cleaned, teabags and milk not replaced On one occasion I asked for milk to be replaced but the staff never returned with it. The next time I spoke to them they were apologetic and if I had not stood at the reception and waited I am not sure if I would have received it at all. I bought my own milk in the end. It was close to public transport but as we often stayed out late I did not feel very safe at times walking back from the station. The breakfast was ok but I thought continental meant you got fruit with your cereal. .Positive experiences, the free Wi Fi and many of the take away food stores stayed open late There was a couple of little supermarkets nearby for supplies needed..

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road as there were quite a few people walking by late at night an...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The room and bathroom are dirty. Terrible for to allergic people, because they don't clean the rooms. Nice location, close to metro station(about 5 min) and the park(2 min). My room had a small kitchen, but there weren't kitchen utensils to use!!
The breakfast is satisfactory.
The price and location are good, but if you can, choose other hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Stayed at Central Park Hotel for 4 nights in September. When I arrived, the staff were very welcoming and offered luggage storage (I arrived a bit before 2pm), however once I checked in and got up to my room (tough with my large suitcase and no working lift!) I was bitterly dissapointed. I had paid for an Annex room (supposed to be a lot better and in the newer building) but when I got there was given a standard room (and no refund!) which was very tiny. The laminated floorboards were lifting off the ground, the TV barely worked (and not the flat screen promised!) and the bathroom was just a cupboard which had been converted!

I did have a long chat with the manager though, who also agreed that the hotel is not up to standards!

Decided to check out a day early just because I was over staying at this joke of a hotel. Will not recommend it to anyone who goes to London.

Room Tip: Book an annex room, and actually make sure you get an annex room!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hucknall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotel was booked through work so it was forced upon me. On arriving reception was clean and girl behind reception was friendly enough. i was given a room on the top floor (61 steps up and lift out of order).

On opening the door to my room I was greeted with a overwelming stench of stale mould. The room itself was very basic, one cupboard, drawers, a chair and a double bed.

On the drawers were a tv with a broken ariel and a heavily limescaled kettle. The bed consisted of a springy mattress and a duvet with a massively oversized cover.

The floor was laminated (wipe clean)and the curtains were torn and stained. The bathroom was tiny and was the source of the stench.

Breakfast. I've read a few of the previous review commenting that the breakfast was ok or acceptable. I'm sorry , but a pile of cheapest wafer thin ham, a pile of cheese slices, a pile of value bread (you can see the dozens of loaves stacked in the cabinet fridges behind the bar), nasty faux cornflakes etc.etc ....it's just not good enough.

Overall i didn't enjoy staying there but no doubt i'll end up there again due to my employers hotel policy, and i gave it 2 out of 5 only because i've stayed in worse in London

Room Tip: Avoid top floor (rooms 800+) at all cost
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed there for 4 days in July with my boyfriend. When we were on our way to the hotel,we started to feel nervous because we saw that this is not a secure and good area,but this was just the beginning. We recieved a room on the 3rd floor,it was like a rat hole,with a tiny Tv,and a same size "bathroom" with a dirty shower where the walls were covered with mildew,the bedroom had an old scrappy window,that we could only open to half way. During 2 days the room was as hot as hell,that we hardly could sleep. The other fact what didn't help us to fall asleep that there were blood sucker small bugs in the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A F*UCK?They dare to call this place a hotel?? During our stay we didn't notice any cleaning in our room,they just dropped a few clean towels in. At the first day,we were tired of travelling a lot,so we wanted to have a rest,but we were interrupted by someone knocked on the door,I did't reply,and then a man opend a door with a key and entered in. When he noticed that we're in the room,he stared at us with widely opened eyes,and mumbled something about a leaky toilet,but the toilet in our room was alright (I don't know how!? :D),and he rushed in the bathroom,fumbled for a few secs and rushed out. STRANGE!?? I red some reviews before,and some say that they were robbed during their stay,so then I must think that he wanted to have a look around our room... On the walls there were dirty patches,and chewing gums were stuck on it. The curtains were extremly dirty and dusty.What else can I say? The breakfast was alright,but the breakfast area was totally crowded all the time,and people queued for ages behind the toaster. I only can recommed to STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose any room,never stay there!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Ok don't know if i could do this but would anyway...My sister and dad were looking for a place to stay for her trip to England to enter her University of choice. They wanted to do some shopping and was looking for somewhere in Finsbury. I have so much faith and confidence in TripAdvisor that i decided to do my research using the reviews from this website. They enjoyed their stay immensely at Central Park Hotel and the convenience of everything around them due to their wonderful location!!! the service was great and the only complaint was their exceptionally slow internet connection. Other than that they had a wonderful stay!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Lowestoft
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We were very dissappionted with this hotel. The first room they gave us was flooded when we walked in so they had to give us another one. There were three beds in the room plus a camp bed stood against the wall. and the curtains were hanging off and badly stained. The wooden floor was badly marked with large gaps out of it and the bathroom was so dirty we couldnt have a shower. I would strongly urge avoidance of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Been to Central Park Hotel? Share your experiences!