“Sublimely cooked food - poor level of service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of FishWorks - Marylebone

FishWorks - Marylebone
89 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4QW, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 7935 9796
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,656 of 17,442 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: This charming branch of FishWorks in Marylebone is a bright, informal restaurant serving up immaculately prepared, simple fish dishes. The cheery blue and white interior makes for a relaxed eating environment, with customers bustling around the traditional fish counter and specials handwritten on the chalkboards. Seafood specials include fish pie and shellfish platters, with a fish-friendly wine list and a children's menu available.
Sydney
“Sublimely cooked food - poor level of service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014 NEW

I came here with my family for lunch, and I had the Tuna which was supremely cooked - I couldn't possibly fault it - I would strongly recommend ordering it, especially medium rare (or rarer)
However, the speed of the service was slow and not particularly attentive:
We ordered some wine which took a while to appear and our food took longer - not unbearably slow, but slow enough to notice. When ordering dessert, they brought one too many (we returned it but it is an example) Although it didn't ruin the experience, it did make it slightly less enjoyable, especially as the food was so good.
In summary - I would recommend going here for how delicious the food was, but considering how competitive London is for restaurants, I am sure you can get a better quality of service easily

• 5 of 5 stars Food

London
“Fantastic fish, atmosphere, and great value with offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014 NEW

Lunched with a friend, using an offer of '50% off food only' booked online via Opentable, which to be honest seemed to good to be true. I love fish, and have walked past this shop front a few times, but have never been tempted in, as all you can see from the pavement is the fish shop attached to the restaurant at the back. It's like Aladdin's cave however and I only wish I'd been brave enough to go in before. I definitely recommend a try, if you're in the area, or nearby.

The restaurant stretches back a fair way, with tables lining the walls. Still full at 2pm on a Thurs it had a great buzzy vibe. Modern design, and friendly staff. The other diners were also very friendly, and we struck up conversations with both sets on either side of us, who all said their food had been delicious.

We chose Scallops, and Prawn cocktail to start, followed by Fresh Crab, and Fresh Lobster with sides of spinach and french fries. Scallops were some of the best I've eaten in a while, hot, crisp fine crumb on the outside, bags of flavour, and cooked to perfection. Lots of choice on the main menu, as well as a chalkboard with daily specials.

With 2 glasses of wine, soda waters, and a coffee to finish, the bill came to just under £80 (after the 50% offer, which was deducted without us asking as we'd booked online). An absolute bargain and well worth seeking out in future. To be honest I'd go back even when they didn't have an offer.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Excellent fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014 NEW

We heard about Fishworks on Trip Advisor and tried it for lunch on a Saturday afternoon around 1:00 pm. The restaurant was about half full and reasonably quiet. We received excellent service from the only waitress in the small restaurant.

We decided to try the fish and chips to compare it to fish and chips from Boston, our home. These were similar to Boston's - light thin batter that wasn't at all greasy. The fish was very fresh. The mashed peas were the only thing new for us.
They also had a couple of very reasonably priced wines.

We know fish and the fish here is excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingswood
“The place for fish stew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014 NEW

Went last night after the Christmas Market at the Swedish Church round the corner. Highly recommended for traditional Swedish fare and decorations!
Fish works os a brilliant place for fresh seafood and fish. We started with the bread starter with taramasalata, aioli and salsa verde.
3 of us had the fish stew which was excellent: very very fresh tomato concassé in a nice garlicky, fennelly, tomatoey broth with fresh thyme, generous chunks of fish, clams, mussels and a huge prawn. Everybody dunked their bread in our broth and very very complimentary.
Staff is very helpful even though we kept on asking for more lemons, aioli etc. All delivered with a smile and promptly even though the restaurant was very busy.
It can be noisy (our table mainly!) as the place is tiny.
I can highly recommend it if you like anything fishy!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, average staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014 NEW via mobile

For my meal at FishWorks I chose the scallops followed by traditional fish and chips. Both were super delicious- fresh fish, lovely sauces and great chips. I have no complaints with the food.
However, it took 30+ minutes to be served, with waiters walking past us multiple times. The table next to us received their starters and their mains before our orders were even taken!
For a restaurant of this quality I had hoped the staff would have been more equipped to deal with lots of people, or at least interested in doing so.
I would return for the fish but not for the customer service.

Visited November 2014