“second visit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of FishWorks - Marylebone

FishWorks - Marylebone
89 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4QW, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 7935 9796
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
FishWorks - Marylebone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,685 of 17,318 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: This charming branch of FishWorks in Marylebone is a bright, informal restaurant serving up immaculately prepared, simple fish dishes. The cheery blue and white interior makes for a relaxed eating environment, with customers bustling around the traditional fish counter and specials handwritten on the chalkboards. Seafood specials include fish pie and shellfish platters, with a fish-friendly wine list and a children's menu available.
London, United Kingdom
“second visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

First visit very good. This time, for lunch on Sunday, the champagne ordered was not chilled, so therefore unavailable. Crab starter average. The main course mash never arrived so staff had to be reminded and we had to wait while the fish cooled. Overall a poor standard.

Visited October 2014

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“"thanks for all the fish"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

I have walked passed this restaurant numerous times but never got beyond the beautiful display of fresh fish and sea food in the window...till one Sunday afternoon in August 2014 when we by chance met up with a friend and were looking for somewhere for lunch...and what a lunch it was.
Easy to say but unquestionably this was probably one of my top 3 meals in my whole life. The company, location, service, atmosphere was all as one might hope for but the food was really to die for.

I have never eaten such delicious fish in my life....the ray I had was months on something that I can still remember.

Eat there and should you never eat again you will die happy

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Same format after 10 years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

What is it about fish restaurants: no sooner have they spread their wings and launched a chain than they're forced to retrench, often retreating to the original branch or two? Thus it was with fish! that started at Borough Market, spread to a number of destinations mainly in South London, but is now reduced to Kingston and the original branch in Borough Market. Fishworks whose Marylebone branch is 10 years old this week initially advanced all over South London as well as Bath and the West Country before retreating back into London. Its shed-like building in Richmond (which I never saw even half-full) having closed earlier this year, it now has two branches only in Marylebone and Swallow Street just off Piccadilly. For its anniversary it advertised a special menu featuring one course with various fillets of bream and bass with breaded scallops and a glass of petit chablis for £25. Instead we opted for the a la carte which, on booking came with a complimentary bellini each. Or did it? On closer inspection of my printed message I noticed, after booking, not only was I supposed to bring a copy with me but also, in very small print, quote on booking a code. I had not noticed this but to their credit the copy message sufficed. Other than the anniversary special the menu has hardly changed over the years, with bread, dips and taramasalata as a nibble, the likes of fish soup with rouille or mussels as starters, for mains fish and chips, whole sea bream (no longer I think cooked and served in foil), dover sole and pescatori fish soup. These were, as ever, supplemented by a number of specials today Brixham plaice, a cod fillet with mash and a hake fillet with crushed potatoes and salsa verde, together with various market fish generally for two people priced by weight. Today after the obligatory taramasalata and bread nibble, my daughter's large and tasty fishcake with chips arrived, later followed by our mains, bream for my wife and the bouillabaisse for me. The soup was exactly as I'd remembered it arriving first with a plate empty but for a toasted piece of bread and rouille, with the soup itself in a metal pan comprising chunks of various fish and a king prawn in a watery mix with plenty of crushed tomato and a sprig of herbs. This we complemented with a carafe of Viognier. I suppose if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it's surprising that such a good formula seems to have worked over the years in Marylebone but nowhere much else.

• Visited October 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lisbon, Portugal
“Diferent fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014 via mobile

Very nice little restaurant on Marylebone High Street. It's a small fish shop that opens out into this little gem. If you like fish this will be the the spot in London. The oysters are great too.

Visited December 2013
Perth, United Kingdom
“Gem Behind the Fish Stall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

The frontal facade of this restaurant is a little like a wet-fish mongers stall in Marylebone High Street. I was staying nearby and fancied some nice fish. I arrived at around 9:00pm and hesitated as I entered the small frontal area and through a door into this little gem. It is small and maybe a little narrow and cramped in parts - but it was half full and had a relaxed atmosphere. The staff were very welcoming and explained the menu and "specials" on offer that evening. The menu had various fish and shellfish options, was quite extensive and had some interesting options for me. I ordered Brixham Fish Soup (a kind of mixed seafood and shellfish bisque, excellently presented and accompanied by their specialty bread board - very memorable the bread too) which I thought was first class and flavoursome if maybe a smaller portion than I might have expected. I then followed this with Wild African Prawns (again excellently presented and flavoursome). The menu and specials were such that I wanted to try much more than I had or could consume, so I think that means the Fish Works passes my test of a good seafood restaurant. Although, by the time I had finished eating, the restaurant was steadily emptying there was no rush (they close officially at 10:30pm I think) for me to leave and I enjoyed a coffee and a few relaxing drinks. Pretty decent food and atmosphere.....but they serve mostly fish and seafood, with minimal alternatives for those who are not so keen on fish and shellfish. I loved it. Maybe a little on the pricey side but not overwhelmingly so.

• Visited September 2014