“Great food, pity about everything else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of FishWorks - Marylebone

FishWorks - Marylebone
89 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4QW, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 7935 9796
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
FishWorks - Marylebone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,469 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: This charming branch of FishWorks in Marylebone is a bright, informal restaurant serving up immaculately prepared, simple fish dishes. The cheery blue and white interior makes for a relaxed eating environment, with customers bustling around the traditional fish counter and specials handwritten on the chalkboards. Seafood specials include fish pie and shellfish platters, with a fish-friendly wine list and a children's menu available.
Galway, Ireland
“Great food, pity about everything else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We visited the Barbican and went looking for a good place to celebrate some family birthdays. It had good reviews and looked welcoming - till we went in. Despite being about 80% empty they first asked if we had a reservation and then spent some time checking that they could fit us in (note there were empty tables all evening ... so this was our first indication something was not quite right - we should have walked away - note to self). The menu inside was more expensive than it first seemed as all veg. and potato were extra - and be very careful of the fish priced by weight - I ended up paying 37 pounds for a single fish (lovely and tender and tasty though it was). The waiter was OK at first, but then ignored us, dismissed us generally behaved disdainfully. I should say that the starter plate with Tarmosalata was exquisite, and everyone agreed that their main courses were excellent - so there's no problem in the kitchen. But they need to work on staff training and service. To top it all when we were leaving they could not or would not accommodate my daughter's desire to take half her fish stew away with her - they simply said it was impossible. I should have refused to give the 12.5% service charge they automatically add to the bill - but I completely forgot. I suggest you go to the fishmonger instead....

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Not what it seemed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My daugher took me there for lunch, I ordered the Skate and portion of chips and she ordered the 2 couse special. She was told that the fishcakes would take an hour. She then ordered the cod which was on special that day. She ordered a carafe of wine and was told that this particular one was only available in Richmond.
My Skate, (which was much smaller than the one I had had at Richmond branch) came with a portion of spinach, their mistake, I had to wait for the chips and by then the skate was getting cold. My daughters cod was not hot enough and had to be returned.
We declined to leave the service charge.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven for seafood lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

With it's attentive staff and fresh seafood this restaurang is one of our Marylebone favourites. It is strategically located on Marylebone High Street and is a combined fish monger and restaurant. The wild Madagascan prawns with garlic, white wine, chilli and fresh ginger are superb. I also recommend the roasted sea bass with rosemary. Two great dishes!

HK
“All things seafood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We ate here on a Weds night - 4 adults and 2 kids. Nice atmosphere (busy) but service was attentive. I have eaten here twice in the last 3 months and both times its been a great experience. Fish has been super fresh and well cooked. Scallops for starter were large and full of flavour as were the mussels. Fish and chips and crab were excellent. The kids' meal are great value at GBP10 each including a desert. Wine list is fairly priced (although getting to the expensive end) but matches the fish. Overall a great evening out; good food and lively place. Recommend.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Good Fresh Fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you like fresh fish, which I do, then this is worth a visit.
You can choose your fish from the slab and they will cook it to order for you. Or you can order from the menu.
Good choice and the fishmonger is very helpful.
Friendly service.
There is limited meat menu available - but this IS a fish restaurant.
An enjoyable experience.