“Grubby” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Souk Restaurant & Bazaar

Souk Restaurant & Bazaar
27 Litchfield Street | Leicester Square, London WC2H 9NJ, England (Covent Garden)
+44 (0)20 7240 1796
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
“Grubby”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We planned to eat in the Souk and whilst looking at the menu ordered two caipirinha's. We already felt slightly nervous as the place seemed dirty and had a grubby feel to it. We were put in the ground floor back room separated from the till area by a dirty red velvet curtain. My low seat felt vaguely damp and sticky - not nice and not very comfortable. Then our caipirinha's arrived, or what the Souk call caipirnha's. Mostly ice, limes and I think soda with some alcohol which was not cachaça as we know it. Decided to cut our loses and leave, but not before we had to pay £18.00 for our drinks. To add insult to injury the waitress didn't have any change of a £20.00 note. However, based on the poor reviews looked like we had a lucky escape.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“A hint of Maghreb in central london”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Exotic location with typical food from Northern Africa. I liked eating in a cave-like alcove, seating on cushions. Not very practical but friendly. The food is good, as long as you like couscous and tajine, and if you do, the portions are enormous. The lower rooms are a bit dark, but that could be interesting for a romantic evening. A bit noisy when the traditional bands and the belly dancers get active.

Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

went there for my husband's birthday, we had a lovely time and food was delicious.
lovely setting, great atmosphere. Staff most welcoming.I booked a table beforehand and we were in a corner away from others diners which was very romantic.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were the only diners when we visited this restaurant at around 6pm. We chose to sit downstairs in a cosy alcove. The decor was like an Arabian souk, but very dim lit.

The menu was quite simple, but all the usual Moroccan dishes were there. We ordered two starters and a main course. The starters we fine, but the portion size could have been bigger. We had a Spicy Chicken Tagine for main. We tucked in to it, I noticed the chicken drumsticks were raw- they were actually cold inside! I promptly told the waitress, who returned it to the kitchen and assured us that chef would prepare another one. In the meantime, she offered us a complimentary mint tea, which was nice.

When the replacement tagine arrived, it was fine. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't spicy but the portion size was ok.

Overall, we weren't blown away. Everything was average, nothing special and probably not worth another visit.

Visited February 2013
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
“gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I'm surprised at the negative reviews of this restaurant, though to be fair I went on a new years eve set menu deal (£19.95 for 3 courses) so didn't see the normal prices for this place. I thought it was beautiful and atmospheric, some have mentioned it was 'dim' but I like dim lighting myself! Very colourful and pretty, nice food (we had chicken tagine and falafel and hummous) and the staff were pleasant. I would definitely go again

• Visited December 2012