“Favourite place in London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QuecumBar & Brasserie, Le

QuecumBar & Brasserie, Le
42-44 Battersea High Street, London SW11 3HX, England (Clapham / Battersea )
+44 (0)20 7787 2227
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10,702 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
London, United Kingdom
“Favourite place in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

If I could go every week I would, without doubt my favourite spot to go. Tuesday night jamming sessions are so fantastic, the music is absolutely amazing. Different every week depending on who turns up and joins in!

Visited January 2014

London
“Not Quite a French Brasserie”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

A disappointing experience with good first impressions subsequently let down. A nice ambience though tables are crowded in with little space to move. On the night we were there, the so-called gastronomic evening with a set menu of three or five (quite expensive) courses, there was a jazz trio playing some very good music and songs well in keeping with the 30s French theme of the establishment. However, when we arrived some items were already off the menu and the wine prices were outrageous to say the least. Equally, the three and five course menu did not provide good value for money taking into account the size of the portions etc. That said the courses were interesting and well presented. Unfortunately, we and three other tables were not served our main course for over an hour and a half after our first courses by which time every other diner had finished all of their courses. It was only after complaining that our main courses arrived. I must add that this was after the entertainment had finished at 2230 and the restaurant was in the process of closing down for the evening. Whilst I accept the small fat fire they apparently had in the kitchen might have caused some delays it does not account for over ninety minutes and repeated requests before we all received our food. So what started out as a very pleasant evening was badly let down. I understand that it was a guest chef etc for the evening so we will return to try the in-house chef and staff and see if that is any different.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DjangoLondon, Owner at QuecumBar & Brasserie, Le, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Hi
I am the owner of Le QuecumBar and I and my staff are very sorry about the down side of your night - this night you speak of was clearly promoted via the vouchers as "Gastronhome" and was on our website as follows:
The Gastronhomes are here!
French classic cuisine with a modern twist. A gastronomic delight, wrapped in live music and an ambiance of Paris in the 1930`s.

This particular night was an outside Chef and Promoter, they merely used our venue as a vehicle for promoting their product and their evening.

This was not our event and not our food etc.
If you visited on a normal night you might realise we are primarily a live music venue not a restaurant, please visit my web site.

We are not a restaurant please see our web site we serve simple food to accompany what we specialise in Live Gypsy Swing.

I will not be helping out any other people who wish to use my venue again as it has clearly damaged us and not them.

The wine being sold was ours and is priced from £15.50 onwards - this is not expensive - all our wines are priced so any customer can see what the price is before they buy - it is the customers choice what they spend on drinks etc.

Here is the contact details of the people who ran these nights please make your views known to them
gastronhome@ymail.com

I hope that you come back to us and see what we do - however I feel many complaints are about peoples expectations not being met - our web site is very detailed and we hope that people who come to us know exactly what they will get. Music, mood, wine and food.

We serve large portions of simple food and try not to let the fire alarm go off !! we did have a faulty alarm that night so apologies.

Come back soon and check out our Prestige Performance Concerts for which we are famous for around the globe.
“Visit at your peril, bad food... Worse staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Waited for over an hour for our food, curry served with uncle ben's rice, the potatoes in my gratin dauphinois were raw. I sent it back, the manager comes back and says gratin dauphinois is traditionally served Al dente.. Never heard such nonsense in my life.. Gratin comes back, still raw.. Totally incensed I send it back and ask for the bill.. Manager comes back and says no one else has complained.. I tell him they either have no taste or are too polite to say.. My wife and I leave in a huff.. Suffice to say the food it abysmal, the staff arrogant and clueless about French food.. A trained monkey could make better food.. Avoid this place like the plague.

DjangoLondon, Owner at QuecumBar & Brasserie, Le, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hi
I am the owner of Le QuecumBar and I and my staff are very upset by the review you have written.

We are not a restaurant please see our web site we serve simple food to accompany what we specialise in Live Gypsy Swing which you have not mentioned perhaps you did not notice the musicians playing.

This particular night the monkey was on paternity leave and we do not know an Uncle Ben??? he has never been here and we certainly would not use other peoples rice - that would be outrageous and second hand rice, surely that must be illegal.

Your review is quite damaging to us, I am very sorry the dauphinois upset you so much and was al dente.... you say you left in a huff, is this some kind of new car, I am not familiar with, as I ride a bike ....
Arrogant staff - not here, they can barely string a sentence together, they would not be capable of being arrogant.....

We have never had an outbreak of plague, is this something going around in London, it sounds very nasty, can we get vaccinated.
Please stay safe.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Awful Food!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Good ambiance created by the music, completely let down by appalling food. The tartiflette wasn't cooked properly, vegetables were previously cooked and barely warm. Paris would be shocked at being associated with such a terrible delivery of food. I mean who serves a 'baked' Camembert in tin foil!!
If they upped they're game with the food, they may actually have happy customers. We will never go back!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hi

So glad you enjoyed the music as thats what we are famous for - not our appalling food.
I am so sorry the food was not up to standard this night - whilst I do not wish to go into private details, the chef is an addict and was not having a good night, he was all over the place we are lucky he did not burn the place down while you were here. We are happy to report that he has found a wonderful rehab place and is doing very well cooking for the other inmates.
I hope this goes some way to explain the sort of night we were having - we do not make a habit of employing addicts but these days you can never tell and we are not allowed to ask personal questions.
The baked Camembert; as we are duty bound to protect our customers the foil is merely to prevent third degree burns to customers who can be very silly and stick their fingers in the molten cheese, fresh from the oven.

We have upped our game with the food and the addict sadly cannot return, we have now employed someone normal.

East Grinstead is a bit of a stretch and the petrol must be expensive, best you eat locally and save the money on the fuel.

Thank you for your useful comments we have sent a copy to our Chef in rehab as he may wish to reply himself.
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Beware of sneaky 15% service charge.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived at the venue without a booking for 6 and were sat down, then relocated to another table as a party of 7 didn't arrive. No drama.

Drinks arrived, draught lagers not in operation so bottled beers only. Coke was flat and had clearly been poured from a larger plastic bottle (not okay when charged £3.50 for a half).

Food.
Not much can be said about it, below average but not inedible. The starters were better than the mains.

Bill.
We were confused with the final total and after adding it up, and getting a different amount, we queried it with the waiter. He took the receipt without speaking and came back and said did you notice the service charge at the top of the bill?
It was written as S23 so wasn't obvious it was part of the bill, we presumed it was the table number.
At this point the waiter became increasingly rude and asked us what was wrong with the service?
It wasn't stated on the menu board that a compulsory 15% service charge would be applied.
The waiter missed the point in that if we had not added the bill up correctly, with the sneaky service charge added on, we would have left another tip on top.

Music charge is also added to your bill food or no food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hi
It has taken me 6 months to formulate a suitable and fitting reply.

It seems you were placed on a superior table in order that you may have a better view of the live music. I am very happy that the superior move with a better view did not cause you any drama or long lasting effects.

I am sorry the beer pump was not working - note to self - crash course in beer pump technology.
We do not serve draft coke as feel bottled coke is superior - sometimes this can go flat but we are happy to replace with a fresh one ......did you ask?

15% service only added on tables of 5 or more or at ticketed events, it is stated on the drinks list and on our web site.
I am sorry this was not written clearly enough on your bill and I do not see a problem with a waiter asking you if the service was ok...
Service charge is never compulsory it is always discretionary ....it is not sneaky

Yes we have a music charge unless you arrive before 8pm then its FREE
this is well publicised - I apologise if you were not told when you came in however it is not usual in any jazz venue that the music is FREE all night as musicians need to get paid it is their job.
Perhaps in Bradford music is free and there is no service charge what can I say.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your night out