“Lovely afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)20 7937 8000
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Park Terrace Restaurant Lounge and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar, British, English, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Underground: Piccadilly
Description: Overlooking Kensington Gardens, the stylish Park Terrace Lounge at the Royal Garden Hotel serves a quintessentially English Afternoon Tea in relaxed and informal surroundings.Enjoy the Kensington Tea with freshly made finger sandwiches, raisin and cinnamon scones, delicate cakes and fine leaf tea from £22 per person. Or for those wanting to add a touch of sparkle, try the Royal Tea with a glass of champagne from £32 per person. Created by Executive Head Chef Steve Munkley, discreet, friendly service adds to a dining experience with all the frills but none of the fuss, making this is the perfect setting to unwind after a day spent shopping or for a special treat. The resident pianist adds further enjoyment with live music played Tuesday to Sunday. Afternoon Tea is served everyday between 2.00pm and 5.30pm at Park Terrace Lounge. Awarded the prestigious ‘Awards of Excellence’ by The Tea Guild in 2012
Newton, Massachusetts
“Lovely afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The dining room of the Park Terrace offers a lovely, unobstructed view of Hyde Park and is decorated in tones of soft beige in an updated yet elegant style. On Saturday, the ambiance was enhanced by live piano. Tea included all of the expected favorites and is served by pleasant waitstaff in an unrushed manner. At 28 pounds per person, a much better value than the 40 pounds charged by tea rooms at hotels of similar class.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London
“Good value, good food and excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I went to the Park Terrace for a lovely dinner on a Timeout offer for a four course dinner with cocktail and petit fours.

We had a choice of any cocktail on the menu which was quite extensive and we really found them perfect. A good strength of alcohol and ingredients made them punchy but not overly alcoholic. Would definitely order them again in future. My wife ordered the Clapham Comfort and I the Henry's Wing and both thoroughly enjoyed our own and thought each respectively was the best...

For starters I ordered the Seared Scottish Scallops with cromer crab and tomato risotto, pink grapefruit sauce which I found really good. The Scallops were perfect and not over/underdone at all. The risotto was al dente and a good combo with the tomato but I found it slightly under seasoned but still good. The combination was just right. My wife had the Rosemary and sherry marinated Scottish sea trout, which she found the trout lovely but just a little accompanying lemon or citrus jus would have been perfect to give it a little kick of flavor.

We shared the NZ Mud House Sauvignon Blanc between us which was good value (all wines at good restaurants are overpriced anyway). Lovely strong mineral taste with strong flavours of passion fruit, gooseberry and guava.

For our mains I had my wife had the Gressingham Duck Breast and I had the Grilled West Country Sirloin Streak.
My wife found the duck dish excellent, tender, cooked perfectly, very tasty. Probably the best duck she has ever had. I found the Sirloin very good, perfectly cooked med-rare but just a little less tender than I expected for some reason. I actually might have rather had the duck after having a taste but I was generally happy with the steak just not blown away.

For dessert my wife had the warm coconut and white chocolate cake with pineapple ice cream. I had the vanilla cheesecake with lemon and coriander consomee. Now my wife's dessert was actually really lovely and she would definitely order it again, I had a quick taste and really thought it was perfect in every way. This is one of the best desserts I every tasted as well. Now back to my cheesecake... the actual cheesecake was good, not the best but sadly I found the consomee was very tarte and overdone with the lemon. Combining both just killed the cheesecake totally. I actually had to have a tiny portion with the cheesecake and possibly serving less in the bowl might have been best.

Thereafter we had a tiny cheese board of amazing cheeses which was perfect. My wife does not like strong cheese, and especially goats cheese but this one was really good and she even had two bites.

We didn't choose coffees thereafter but were served petit fours which we really enjoyed even after a few courses. Really good.

Now actually best of all was the bill... Every time so far when we have been to a discounted dinner with groupon or travelzoo or whatever the restaurant has included the main meal to calculate VAT and then take off the meal. This time it was only calculated on what we ordered extra which was the wine plus there was no limit on what we could order on the menu where other places say you can order up to a certain value of the meal this time we had no limit.

Salvatore our waiter and Edyte at the reception were really friendly but I must say the service was impeccable all round and we felt relaxed with everyone and they were especially concerned about how we were enjoying the experience and the food.

On the whole the atmosphere, seating arrangement, ambiance was all actually quite good and well placed. Very much enjoyed with a lovely hotel in a central location.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Food good service ok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

3 rosettes but no M star. Sort out your service and maybe that'll help. Food always good and lots of choice

Visited February 2013
Asker
“A great place for Afternoon Tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Park Terrace in Royal Garden hotel is situated og Kensington High street with a beautiful view to the park. I wanted to bring my grown-up children to a place for the typical british afternoon tea. I went to the webpages to Browns and Claridges which are more famous places for this ritual, but I found it extremely expensive. The Park Terrace was a great and elegant alternative. The service is very friendly and great. The sandwiches, scones and the cakes were just the high quality I expected. You could choose among different sorts of tea, and they carefully refilled your teapot when it was close to empty. I can recommand this restaurant for afternoon tea

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Simply Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Took advantage of a Travelzoo offer,

£59 4-course meal for two overlooking Kensington Gardens, with a cocktail each, petits fours and coffees"

Everything was perfect, I would be impressed if this could be bettered.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere